PDA

View Full Version : Great Stuff for under floor flotation foam

sim
05-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Anybody ever use Great Stuff foam?- the stuff you get in cans at Home Depot. I'm wondering what the pros and cons would be for blowing it under the floor for floatation and structural support.
I used some for insulation around a pipe in my basement last night and once it sets up it's real solid and light. My guess is a pound or less per cubic foot.
I'm wondering if on a floor and stringer rebuild it wouldn't be real nice for support and "anti-thumpiness".
I'm also wondering about long term water absorption.
Any thoughts gentlemen? (You listenin' JimPatroni?)

SunTime
05-12-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't think that stuff is closed cell foam. If not I would not use it in any area that may absorb water

yellowfiero88
05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
gentlemen?
Well I don't know if we all fit into that category or not!!:lol:

I used it under my floor and it worked great. I did use the minimal expanding stuff as to not cause damage from expanding. I believe its water proof but mine is sealed in with cloth and resign hopefully forever! I did got through about 8,987,973,284 cans of it tho!!!:rof:

JT Patroni
05-12-2011, 11:24 AM
If any foam is going to be replaced in any boat that had it under the floor,
it should be placed under the deck so if the boat takes on water it will stay in the upright position. Remember the football players in the Gulf a few years back? If the boat stayed upright all three would probably be alive instead of just one. Sitting on a boat that is upside down gives you nothing to hold on to.

It is tough to be ex Coast Guard.

sclemons
05-12-2011, 12:16 PM
you make a good point JT

JW
05-12-2011, 06:00 PM
The research I did when I replaced the foam in a canoe I had was to use the two-part pourable closed cell marine grade foam that costs an arm and a leg, but can do the job with one can. I thought about the Great Stuff too, but couldn't find anywhere on the can that said 'closed cell' and 'waterproof'.

Then again, I don't think any foam is truly waterproof. Heck, even gel coat isn't water proof!

sim
05-12-2011, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=yellowfiero88;525597]Well I don't know if we all fit into that category or not!!:lol:
Don't worry. I didn't mean you.:poke::rof:

maagee79
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
i was thinking of doing the same thing im just worried about the same thing. plus if u do get water in boat its going to stay on the floor if u fill in under the floor and if u do fill it in how big of a bilge should u put in i was going to put in a 800gph into my vmate I. hoping that is bigger than what i need.

sim
05-12-2011, 10:21 PM
i was thinking of doing the same thing im just worried about the same thing. plus if u do get water in boat its going to stay on the floor if u fill in under the floor and if u do fill it in how big of a bilge should u put in i was going to put in a 800gph into my vmate I. hoping that is bigger than what i need.
I was thinking along the same lines- that if you blow foam in it could keep water from draining straight out.

Big Red
05-12-2011, 10:39 PM
I just stuffed a bunch of noodles I got from walmart in my floor. :bigthumb: