header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Blogs > Old Hickory's 1983 Checkmate Enforcer Restoration
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
April 2020's Boat of the Month Vote!
I vote for "KevinR's" Pulsare!
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor!
I vote for "CheckmateFever's" Group Shot!
I vote for "TuGHiLLBoYs" Convincor Shot!
I vote for "Coop's" Starflite!
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

This is a tale of my journey to aquiring and restoring a true classic; the Checkmate Enforcer. I hope it will be entertaining as well as informative.

Most all that I will do and describe will probably be thrown to the wind in the forums first; so I know each of will have a part in the telling of this story. Thanks in advance for all that each of you have done so far, and for what you will do in the future.
Rate this Entry

Part 5: Loosin' the caboose!

Posted 02-26-2008 at 11:35 AM by Old Hickory
Updated 05-22-2008 at 06:01 AM by Old Hickory

I finally took a deep breath and commenced to removing the splashwell of the enforcer. This was by far, the most difficult decision I have made too date. I have tossed and turned for weeks thinking about how I should rebuild it; only to change my mind again once I began cutting it out! LOL. The end result is hopefully a transom that will both cosmetically enhance my enforcer; and also provide a sturdy base for a transom extension that will hold twin mariner 175's. Here are some example pics.







To begin, I established reference points by drawing both horizontal and perpindicular lines within the splashwell. To accomplish this I used a framing square; carpenters square(not pictured); flexible metal rule; tape measure; and carpenters pencil.



I established the horizontal line by setting the framing square on the bottom back ledge of the splashwell and measuring up 10". I did this every 4" all along the back of the splashwell. I then connected the dots using the carpenters pencil and flexible metal rule. The rule was invaluable in making the curve of the splashwell. This gave me about 8" from the top down; plenty of room to build a lip that the deck hatch will rest on.



I also drew perpendicular lines along the rear sides of the splashwell so I could begin to visualize how deep I wanted to make the shallower well.



Once I had determined the dimensions of the new splashwell I decided to cut the well out. These are the tools I used for the job.





I gave myself plenty of room by cutting outside my lines just in case I changed my mind or needed to make adjustments. Which I did.





You can see from the pics that I left the lip and the sides next to the transom intact. This is where I changed my mind and made a adjustment. Instead of making a shallow splashwell I decided to remove the well alltogether. I felt the transom needed to be as full as possible to support the weight of the transom extension and twin engines. So....



I removed the sides of the well....





....and the lip. The transom will now run all the way to the top(I'll use 4 layers of 3/4 ply)(UPDATE: I decided to use Coosa Board for the transom; two layers of 3/4" B-26 and one layer of 1/2" B-20 for an internal thickness of 2"....thanks jallen355 for turning me on to this stuff) which will make the stearn of the enforcer almost bullet proof and will also give me a larger rear sun deck.



Here's the view from the inside. You can see I have a portion of the stringers and the transom knees removed. By having a full transom, I can now run my knees to the top making it even stronger.



Well thats it for now. I'm getting ready to tackle the transom removal this afternoon. Thanks for looking!

Hick



Posted in Uncategorized
Views 13480 Comments 4
Total Comments 4

Comments

  1. Old Comment

    Project

    Great looking work. I haven't forgotten about your question about twin engines just can't find anyone with a formula to plug in. General thought is you should be able to go up at least 2' of pitch and still turn the same RPM. 2", say from 21 to 23 is about 6 mph more. It'll be interesting. Shame you're not closer cause I have 8 different SS props, but of course don't have 2 of the same.
    Luv your girls.

    Art


    If it's slow it must be an OMC.
    Posted 06-05-2008 at 12:52 PM by LAAllison LAAllison is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Old Hickory's Avatar
    Thanks Art; I would sure like to get this project done sometime this summer; not hopeful it will happen. If you do find something that will help in propping twin engines I'm all ears. I appreciate your willingness to givie it some attention.

    Hick
    Posted 06-06-2008 at 09:25 AM by Old Hickory Old Hickory is offline
  3. Old Comment
    yellowfiero88's Avatar
    Hey Hick either you completly nuts or you got some vision like I do. Takes a huge set to cut the rear of a boat apart like you did! One of the things I dont like about outboards is the loss of the rear sun deck because of the well. Great ideal and good luck on the project, you know I will be watching your posts for updates
    Posted 11-11-2008 at 10:59 PM by yellowfiero88 yellowfiero88 is offline
  4. Old Comment
    Old Hickory's Avatar
    yellowfiero88,

    Thanks for the encouragement. That was the most nerve racking thing I had done in a while. I will say it should be sweet when it's completed. I just posted parts 9 and 10...you'll see how it's shaping up. thanks again.

    Hick
    Posted 11-15-2008 at 03:45 AM by Old Hickory Old Hickory is offline
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002-2019 Checkmate-Boats.com & Whitecap Enterprises Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Images & Content are Copyright material and may not used without prior written permission.