• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

COOP, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

SCT

Coop or anyone else have any suggestions on how I should fix these holes in my CM tunel?

The previous owner had thru bolted turning strakes to the outside of the sponsons. They were made of wood and totally rotten from sitting all these yrs. There are 8 holes on each side of the lower sponsom that need filled. My problem is that I can only reach the two back holes and I really don't want to cut another inspection plate or pop the deck.

I origionally wanted to glass patches on the inside of the holes and then fill the holes from the outside w/ duraglass putty and grind/sand it smooth. Someone suggested the wooden dowel trick but the glass is very thin in this section.

I also thought of about stainless flat head bolts w/ nylon washers and nuts.

Any ideas??

Shannon, can you cut an inspection plate from inside the cockpit to a point where you can reach the holes?? Then you would not have to cut the deck or remove the deck...just install a "pie eye" for future inspections..

There is access to the sponsons from the cockpit but I still can't get my arm all the way out to the edges of the sponsons......or at least good enough to glass from the inside. I'm thinking of popping the deck along the hull/ deck w/o cutting the bracing in the cockpit (that would be a nightmare).

Attachments

• wwww.jpg
    wwww.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 11
If you can fish a string or wire through the hole, you should be able to pull a backing plate coated with some kind of sealer or adheasive to bond to the back side of the hole. Then patch it from the out side.

Back