• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

6.5" vs. 6 x 9" - which is best

Needafunboat

OK, so I figured out how to mount speakers on the panels on the rear bench. I was thinking 6x9's for max sound and bass, but THEN I started thinking that 6.5's round speakers have to have better sound quality. You don't see any high end home speakers with oval speakers...

THEN I started thinking that this isn't a home theater or the inside of a lexus and bass and volume may be more important. Heck, there will be no type of enclosure and the whole fiberglass structure will resonate like heck - so the acoustics just aren't great.

THEN I started thinking that it will be driven with a 40w rms amp so it will be plenty loud for my needs either way. I don't really crank it with 2 kids on board.

THEN I started thinking that I may want to crank it now and then beached - heck I MAY make it out for jobby nooner - right?

THEN I started thinking that I'd see what you guys think....

At the moment I'm torn - I'm leaning towards the 6x9's.

Give me some opinions!!!

I haven't installed any sound yet, but I have some ideas on a pretty basic setup. I'm not looking to bounce any fish out of the water. Here's the way I'm leaning right now.

I though about adding speakers in the side panels, but no matter what speaker design I consider I realize that they will have no enclosure on the backside. It will work, but it would not be the most efficient setup.

Then I thought about adding a pair of speakers, 6x9 or 6.5's to the front side of the rear bench seat front lower bottem frame panel (which is currently on my dining room table getting some new vinyl wrapped around it). The problem with this location is going to be the potential of damage to the speakers as I plan to utilize the area under the rear seat for storage purpouses.

What I am going to start with is a pair of 6x9's (and I do believe 6x9's will out perform 6.5's) mounted in a pair of boxes for 6x9's...you know the ones. Something like these......
69sq.jpg

Theses boxes will be covered with carpet and mounted on top of the floatation boxes that run up the side of the hull and end under the front deck approximately where your feet would be and angles slighty for obvious reason.

Might not be the ultimate setup, but like I said earlier, I am juat going basic for now. Matter of fact, I won't even have a AM/FM Head Unit. I'm going to install an iPod jack inside of my glove box and wire it directly to an amplifier.

It's a start....

I went with four 6x9s, havent put em in yet, but run a few sound tests with them..... and they crank, and sound great, threw them in some boxes like pictured above and hope to mount two in back and two up front under the front deck facing backwards on some hangers, so I can pull em off and rest them on the deck if im at the beach.

i have 2 rockford fosgate component systems installed in my rear bench with 6.5" subs and 2" tweeters, in the front i have 2 6.5" sony explodes all hooked up to a 800watt kenwood amp and the thing sounds awesome. i have ppl ask me what size subs i have in there and they give me a weird look when i tell them i don't.

Favorite 6x9 speakers??

Yeah, I think quality speakers can put out alot of db with enough clean power. So I maintain that 6.5" round speakers will be cleaner sounding, but less efficient and less bass than 6x9's.

And by cleaner, I mean that the difference may be small - as in not easy to hear without a back to back comparison. So I'm not sure... I'd like to put in the highest quality stuff (which in this case happens to be cheaper), but I'm not really sure that in a boat you'd be able to hear the difference -- or that most people would care. I think volume and bass would make more of a difference than a more linear, accurate sound.

Looks like 6x9's will be going in.

Now next question - any favorites? I need to stay around $100 for now - alot of $ going into the boat this spring!

the JBL 6x9s seem well constructed and are marine compatible, plus they sound pretty good. I know more about big sound setups than home theater type stuff, and JBL is the big daddy in that arena. they run like 130 or something retail, but I was able to find two pair for 75 buck each pair, one on ebay and another by searching google product searches. Im guessing youll be happy with the 6x9s, the difference between them and the 6.5s will be minimal even in a side by side, and if you can tell the difference in a boat, Ill eat my shoe

... and if you can tell the difference in a boat, Ill eat my shoe
Sounds delicious! :drool:

I think you're on the right track with 6x9's. Sure, they may put out slightly less quality sound than home theater speakers, but you're not talking about spending big $$ anyway. In the price range you're thinking (which makes sense for a BOAT) I doubt you'd be able to notice any QUALITY difference, even in a studio at those prices, much less in the open air. The great thing about 6x9's is that they combine your mid and sub into one cone (pretty well), and you can get your high's with a 2 or 3 way speaker. Less weight, less space, great sound. I don't really have any recommendations besides checking out the cone materials, and the size of the drives.

Have a look here. http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm...y&page_id=14&mfg_account_ID=44&category_id=25

I installed the power reference series 6x9 in the camper. Big open area with little to no backing. I installed a set in the rear cabinets and put a set in the front installed in 6x9 box's. Hooked them to a little 50w 4 channel and cranked the toons. Very impressed. Was not expecting that due to the large area.

Memphis makes some great stuff, $ for $ they will out perform stuff costing twice as much. I enter stereo competitions here on a local level. There subs and amps are really holding there own. I run in the SPL truck class with a single 12" and a 300w @ 4ohm 1100w at 1ohm and run 143 DB. The wife wanted to get involved last year so I put together a 9 speaker Memphis system and she won 1st in sound quality.

Also, forgot to mention one other thing-
I wouldn't worry too much about marine vs regular speakers. Most of the 'car' speaker materials have gone away from the stuff that is extremely sensitive to water. As long as they aren't continually drenched in water, I'd think the 'car' speakers would last just as long.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I agree that paper cones are pretty darn rare for car speakers, but I need white anyhow and the speakers will get unfiltered UV rays, as well as moisture from people coming in the boat - so I'll check for those JBL's.

Any other favorites in the 6x9 size around $100???

i think you think too much....lol i swaped the 6.5's out for some 6x9's. same amp, same location, big difference. but, for a thinker like you:poke:, it was not really a "fair" test..... the 6.5's were 20 w rms voice coils, compaired to 50 w rms 3 way 6x9's. the were on sale at abc for like $47, made for a car, but have the plastic, non paper woofer.

stay with pioneer 6x9's. they have the best sound for 100 bucks. get the 3 way's. i have been messing with car audio for years and have found out years ago that pioneer makes the best sounding 6x9's. go to bestbuy and compair them all. you can tell just from hearing them on the board there.

they have a poly cone and rubber surround. totally uv protected for sitting in the sun on a rear deck of a car.

my 2 pennies

OK Guys, I didn't want show you this.But its is pretty bush league.A series of events that led to a catastrophe of my own doing over the winter.When U see the pics you'll figure it out.But back to the thread.When I picked up these 6x9 up the sales person stated the cones were made of ceramic and the rubber was pure rubber not a foam rubber.That they were almost impervious to water conditions.Well I put the to the test over the winter and they come out sounding great.They retailed about $159

Attachments

• DSC01305.jpg
    DSC01305.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC01307.jpg
    DSC01307.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 33
YOU ARE CORRECT SIR ! It was half drained before I rememberd I had the camera in the truck. It was up over the gas tank to start.About 1/2 inch from gatting into the amp.And we hab the wetest winter in 20yrs in these parts too!

ouch merc245....... good thing you remove the interior for the winter. what kinda damage will that do to the hull???? you should contact the speaker mfg., that would be good material for advertising..... i am bummed out for you.

My 92 pulse was factory rigged when I got her. Installed a Kenwood KTS 300MR Receiver with Sirus Satt, and I pod port. Clarion 280M c channel amp,
2 Boston Acustic 6x9 in small enclosure mounted next to front seats, and 2 6.5 round Polk Audio speakers in back bench. Sounds killer! Won't win any
bass competitions, but plays loud and clear.

Back