• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

'96 Mercury 200 EFI

Rob B

Staff member
Earlier this year sometime in the spring I was have trouble with my mota idling while going thru a no wake zone or just sitting at the dock. Think I found the culprit. When removing the gas tank for my floor resto I had dumped the remaining gas out and found all kind of trash and gunk in the bottom of the gas tank. Anyway I clean the tank before installing it back in the boat, today I put some gas in the tank and fired up the mercury for the first time in 3 months. She fired right up after priming the bulb, let it run for a bit and seemed to not shake the boat like it use too. Anyway thought I would pass along the info if someone else was having a similar problem. Here's a couple of pictures of the mota running.

Attachments

• 120_2045.JPG
    120_2045.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 120_2046.JPG
    120_2046.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 28
How did you clean the tank? My '91 Starliner has been setting for 5-6 yrs. due to blown '91 2.5 200 XRI powerhead. I now have new (never started) 280 to install. I'm leaning towards ordering a new INCA tank from Checkmate, as I'll DEFINITELY not chance ANYTHING contaminating new engine. All new hi-pressure fuel lines come with motor, so my only issue is tank. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year!!

How did you clean the tank? My '91 Starliner has been setting for 5-6 yrs. due to blown '91 2.5 200 XRI powerhead. I now have new (never started) 280 to install. I'm leaning towards ordering a new INCA tank from Checkmate, as I'll DEFINITELY not chance ANYTHING contaminating new engine. All new hi-pressure fuel lines come with motor, so my only issue is tank. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year!!

I actually used some acetone to finished breaking up the gunk then some fresh gas to slosh around and finally used a airhose to blow out what was left in the tank. I probably would lean toward getting a new tank to take out any chances of something getting to your motor.

I've has several experiences with dirty, gunky gas tanks. These older boats have aluminum tanks and after a while they get ugly inside. As I am repairing a floor or pulling the interior to redo it I replace the tank with a new plastic one. Also replace the 1-1/2" fill hose and the vent hose. This way you have no doubt that you eliminated any fuel delivery problems that may be caused by the tank and lines. It is a cheap, peace of mind fix in my opinion.

Your right, this is the way I'm going to go. The current tank is an INCA plastic model and I'll have Checkmate price it out after the holidays. (I did contact INCA and they still make it, so it'll be exact fit). I'll also replace fill and vent hose, that'll be easy. Thanks for the advice!

Back