• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

aquabuff

:poke:forgot the pics...

First is my last Fountain, second, my current Checkmate, third my current Formula

Attachments

• DSC01277 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    DSC01277 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC02549_0412 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    DSC02549_0412 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC02271 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    DSC02271 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 51
My Forula after traveling 420 miles over to Michigan. No, the boat had not been washed yet!!

Attachments

• DSC02472 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    DSC02472 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 44
Another shot after traveling 420 miles to a friends house. and no, nothing hwas washed in the pics. My truck is three years old too...

Truck, trailer, and boat all cared for with Wizards. On my personal stuff, I use the Supreme Seal since it is always properly maintained...:D

That is me, the azzhole you guys are dealing with next to my boat, ny buddy took the pic becasue he could not believe how the truck and boat looked after towing for almost 8 hours from Iowa to north of Detroit!!

Attachments

• P7040001.jpg
    P7040001.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 50
I just spoke to Wizards and they recommend using the Finish cut compound first, then using the Shine master polish. I personally use Aqua buff 2000 first then I use Yaght club polish on the boats that I have done have come out looking perfect.

oops I meant Yacht Bright polish. Works great no swirls and great shine.

oops I meant Yacht Bright polish. Works great no swirls and great shine.

Water can cause swirls if the wrong pad is used. There is no such thing as a product that does not cause swirls, it is the person and pads, dust on hull, ect...that will cause swirls.

Let me say, I have bought Yacht Brite to try and was not impressed. Sea Ray uses Yach Brite and every boat that leaves their factories have lots of swirls.

My starflite was weathered and oxidized all to hell when I bought it in 2003. It's far worse now. We tried wet sanding it but had no clue what we were doing and sanded the first spot we tried to a faded color, like we were going through the blue into white underneath or something like that. we immediately gave up that idea.

So, assuming that I have no idea what I'm doing (I don't), can you suggest some products that might start me out right? I'm not looking for a show winning shine, I'm just looking to get the original colors back and a shine that's nice to look at.

I took a look at wizard's website and they have about 20 products or more I swear. I clicked on the turbo cut by random choice, and as it turns out I think it's the only one that even mentions gel coat. Would I be best off starting with that and then going to one of the polishes? which one?

Honestly I'm afraid to try wet sanding again.

My starflite was weathered and oxidized all to hell when I bought it in 2003. It's far worse now. We tried wet sanding it but had no clue what we were doing and sanded the first spot we tried to a faded color, like we were going through the blue into white underneath or something like that. we immediately gave up that idea.

So, assuming that I have no idea what I'm doing (I don't), can you suggest some products that might start me out right? I'm not looking for a show winning shine, I'm just looking to get the original colors back and a shine that's nice to look at.

I took a look at wizard's website and they have about 20 products or more I swear. I clicked on the turbo cut by random choice, and as it turns out I think it's the only one that even mentions gel coat. Would I be best off starting with that and then going to one of the polishes? which one?

Some people think I am an azz when I do this...but my suggestion for you is to see a pro!!!

As I said in earlier post, just becasue Wizards does not market to boats, does not mean that is can't be used on gel and it is an excellent product on gel.

Also, sometimes, gel is simply too far gone and needs to be either re-cleared, re-geled, or re-painted...

th_Picture028.jpg

Ross, this looked hazy like someone rubbed it with 1000 grit and then tried to wax it. these are the after pics with aquabuff took about 5 hours and then waxed it with rain dance with carnuba.

I ordered some aqua buff 2000 and I am going to try it on mine....I hope it lasts longer than just buffing like they say it does.

I just finished the predictor tonight. If you have heavy oxidation go with the 1000 F fast cut aqua buff. I wet sanded first with 1000 grit and then hit it good with the fast cut. It looks amazing.
It is important to get a good coat of wax on after you buff. I like to use a carnauba wax. it seems to keep the shine longer.
I buffed the starliner last year with the fast cut and then waxed it and it looked all summer with just a little waxing during the summer.

I just have light oxidation in most areas......just enough to make it look like crap. I would say that there are a few medium spots but nothing past that. I think the 2000 should take care of it. The UPS man should be bringing it today. After all of the stuff I have ordering the past few weeks, I think he has been through about every day this week!

just spent about 2 hours on the deck of the boat(only the starboard side). the white and red popped, the black not so much! i have yet to get some wax on it but i'm sure when i do it will look amazing! when i was washing all of the over-spray from buffing off while it was still wet it looked brand new:D
i guess i know what i will be doing all day tommarow:irked: the stuff works great but will say they recommend at least 2500rpm-makes a hell of a mess so i turned the buffer down to about 1500 and worked much better!-ross

scratches in clear

My spectra has some light scratches in the clear coat covering the metal flake caused by the fenders rubbing any suggestons on how to get them out? wet sand with 1500 then buff with agua buff or a wizards product or just bufff and wax?

aqua buff is a cutting compound- i would just buff it out with a polish and be carefull how fast you buff it so you don't burn the gel-coat.-ross-:thumb:

Back