• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1993 Starflite Restro

renegade

I picked up a Starflite from this forum in July. The boat sat for over 5 years and I got what I expected. I was able to get the motor running and used the boat 4-5 times this summer. It had soft spots in the floor under the seats. I had planned on just replacing the floor but after starting to tear out the floor I have found the foam on both sides was completly soaked and the stringers were soft. I didnt want to get into a complete restro but after reading a few posts on here several times, and reading JT Patroni's posts I decided to go for it. Currently the deck is ready to lift off and the motor is removed. This weeked I will lift off the deck and continue to remove all old wood. I plan on following JT Patroni's path that he used. He was nice enough to send me his programs that he used to cut his stringers and I plan on cutting them on my laser cutter. I have a new power head ordered that should be around 140 hp, I plan on going with a jack plate with a 10 inch set back. The boat will need to be painted from the water line up as the gel coat is wasted on the deck and there are alot of cracks and chips in the sides. I plan on doing this myself as well. I will post a few pics as soon as I can take them.
I plan on being in the water sometime in May.

Thanks to the people on this forum, with out them I would not attempt this project.

All ideas or input would be welcome.

Kevin

good luck keep us up to date with pictures. you are right this is a great website with alot of great write ups and pictures.

I'd suggest if your removing the deck to do the transom as well unless there is absoluty no sign of rot or wet wood. You can pull the transom eyes out and check there first, and then bore a couple test holes.

More likely then not your gonna find some wet wood and now would be the time to replace it.

I agree with suntime, if you arent already planning on the transom, I would do it while the deck is off, not a bad job if you already have the deck off, maybe and extra week or less of work, maybe a weekend. At least convince yourself its not wet and or rotted.

I am replacing the transom, just forgot to mention it. I have all the stringers, floor, and transom removed. I found rotten wood in the stringers, knees, and the transom. As well as removed alot of water soaked foam. Plan on starting to install new this weekend. I have pictures, trying to figure out how to post them.

so is it a starlfite, or starliner? you have it posted as the boat you own a starliner and in this thread its a 'flite....by the way:welcome:

so is it a starlfite, or starliner? you have it posted as the boat you own a starliner and in this thread its a 'flite....by the way:welcome:
Its a Starflite.

How do you post pictures on here?

I programed all the wood that was removed and cut templates out of thin cardboard on my laser cutter. I used them to test fit in the boat and made some changes which I thought would work better. After the changes I cut all the parts needed out of marine plywood. I think it really work out good.
I have the new transom epoxied in the boat and will be working on the stringers next.
I have a snowmobile trip I am going on so I wont be working on it for the next week

Transom,stringers, and floor are complete. Deck should be going back on next weekend. Power head should be here mid week. The only thing still need to buy is the hydraulic steering. I will try to post pics this weekend. Shop has been running 7 days a week, no time left over to post.

Trying to add some in process pics.

Attachments

• IMG00017.jpg
    IMG00017.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG00022.jpg
    IMG00022.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 194
more pics

Attachments

• IMG00024.jpg
    IMG00024.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG00038.jpg
    IMG00038.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG00039.jpg
    IMG00039.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 175
some more pics

Attachments

• IMG00028.jpg
    IMG00028.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG00043.jpg
    IMG00043.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 187
I will post more pics later. quick update,
I have the deck back on and I am preparing it for paint. should be painting in a couple of weeks.
I have plugged all holes in the splashwell and will be using rigging tubes for all cables and hoses.
I have the power head back from the builder along with new mid. need to paint the mid as well.

OUR OLD BOAT

This use to be my sons boat. I am so happy to see you doing such a great job on her. He had wanted to restore her but never was able to get the time to do it. The back seat you got with her when you bought it, was a Christmas present I gave him one year, for the restoration. His thoughts were to do the restore on her, and they re-power her with a 300HP. Merc. The 220 just did not get it fast enough. I use to have a 21 entertainer. With a 235 on it. My son's name on this thread is Skarecrow. I am retired now, and was trying to talk him into bringing the boat down here to NC when he moved, and we would restore it, but I can see you are doing a much better job on her than we would have. I am glad now that he did sell it to you. These boats are beautiful, and should not be lost. Good luck and please keep posting pictures of her as you go on. I have a lot of pictures of her when she was looking good, but not sure how to post them on this thread.
Gamblerr

A few more pics.
More colors to add yet.

Attachments

• IMG00084.jpg
    IMG00084.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG00081.jpg
    IMG00081.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 174
More pics

Attachments