• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

150 Suzuki

cooperider

Been saving up for a Merc, but found this for the cash I have in my pocket. Going to look at it tomorrow. Its still on the boat, can be ran. I can still save up for a Merc, but at least I might be on the water this summer with this one.

Anything I should look for on these motors? From what I've read, it sounds like they are either crap, or they run forever.

attachment.php

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 94
  • imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 28
I don't know them, but that engine looks remarkably like my 150 Yam ProV from the rear without the decals. Even the vent on the side looks like the placing for mine.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were similar in many more ways.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

A friend of mine has a 150 like that, it runs more like a 175, his is one of the motors that has 2 spark plugs per cyl, does that motor have 12 plugs Coop?

A friend of mine has a 150 like that, it runs more like a 175, his is one of the motors that has 2 spark plugs per cyl, does that motor have 12 plugs Coop?
I'll look for that. I'm headed over after a bit when wifewoman wakes up from her "nap".

Coop, A nap??.....you must have worn her out last night!

That Suzuki will look cool with a matching custom paint job on the back of a new Persuader boat.......get to it!

That Suzuki will look cool with a matching custom paint job on the back of a new Persuader boat.......get to it!
Yeah, its gonna need some paint.

Coop....

I think what it is, is that....

When any motor is running, it seems like it will run forever....

And when any motor ain't running, it's crap!

At least, that's how I feel. :D

-Chris

Yeah, its gonna need some paint.

We started it so I could see how it ran, it ran great. We actually had to work to stop it from running. He hit the kill switch and the toggle broke off. So he got a pair of pliers, and started pulling plug wires. 12 of them. It ran until he pulled the last wire. That motor ran with 1/2 of a cylinder sparking.
He was getting a big jolt, everytime he pulled a wire too. I wish I had the video camera running.

He's bringing the boat over in the morning so we can pull the motor. Its mine.

Alrighty Coop....

So you got the powah....

Now whatcha puttin' it on and when??? :) :sssh:

-Chris

I got an '88 DT200 carb'd with the Starflite I bought last fall. Make sure the rectangular plastic caps are on the Mikuni carbs as any debris (mouse turds) can fall down into the fuel bowl. Yeah, the bowl is vented upward with a 1/4 inch hole, wtf! Get your parts at Brownspointmarine.com don't go to Sierra, the carb kits won't fit. If you have the extra water pickup just above the prop, close it off when you run it with the muffs or you'll suck air. Get a service manual from Browns Point too $62 cause you'll need it for all the sensors they put on these along with trying to figure out which revision you have on the model number. I don't know about your area but the closest service guy I got around here is 40 miles away so I do all my own work. I've heard good and bad about the Suzukis, hopefully you'll have the good. Good luck.

depending on the year, they had the oil pump turned to far down for emissions and ended up killing pistons..so be carefull...friend bought a 225 with brand new power head(killed piston/block) carbs done....lasted less than 15 hours...not long after breaking in with double oil....done !!now this was on a walk around fishing boat..not something that had crap ran out of it...

This thing was rigged with controls from a Johnson. So I gave up trying to keep track of some of those wires, 'cause that controler isn't going back on.

I've got several Merc controls maybe one of those would work.

I've got to get my motor stand back and get this off the hoist so I can get back to building the boat that I wanted this for.

Back