• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

225 HP Enticer

I had sea-star hydraulic steering on my Enticer, and a 135hp on the back. I wouldn't drive a boat with cable steering full stop - let alone being 40% overpowered.

Your confidence is concerning. I echo YF's post above.

I don't have any intention of driving full power until I get a decent steering setup on it. I also don't have any intention of not driving it until I get a different steering set on it. I just needed a motor on it to be able to go on vacation next month and finish the summer up. Its on there. The 225 may not stay on there and I'm not going to invest a thousand dollars on a hydraulic steering setup until I'm sold on the 225. When I get a more stable steering platform on it I'll think about running it past 60 but ultimately I'm the one who decides how fast the boat goes and I'm pretty good at not doing things I don't need to do.

The kill switch is easy enough and will get done asap.

OK ...Who says Hydraulic and who says dual cable? Duals cable would have to come in from one side.

The guys on here are concerned for your safety, so hopefully you don't/didn't take that personally. They're only pointing out what is an unsafe condition with that much horsepower. Enjoy your vacation and be safe.:thumb:

The guys on here are concerned for your safety, so hopefully you don't/didn't take that personally. They're only pointing out what is an unsafe condition with that much horsepower. Enjoy your vacation and be safe.:thumb:

Not a problem. I understand completely. If I decide that I want to keep the 3.0 and I want to take what it will give, I'll upgrade the steering. I am the only one who is going to drive it and until I'm sold on the 225 I'll be babying it.

All of my dual racks exited from the starboard side. I had both Mercury dual ride guide and teleflex pro nfb systems, as well as sea star hydraulic. I still prefer the mercury dual ride guide over anything. I like the challenge of fighting a big Tempest prop, and I like the exercise. :thumb:

Money aside, isn't it how much do you want to work? More feed back thru the manual and more convenience thru hydraulic.

Hydraulic steering is the best money spent IMO.

A kill switch and lanyard are very cheap. I have them in my 283 and wear them when doing hard running. Tho I do have to remember to hook them on my back brace:eek:

20120702195225.jpg

I vote hydro, I had dual cable on my old boat and ran it for 6 years without a problem, one day cruising along at 78 mph like I always did something let go and the boat turned as hard as possible to the right, barrel rolled it twice from what people that seen said, I had about 1/2 a second to think oh sh!t, I'm dead, next thing I knew some guy was shaking me and I was already being towed to shore, I was lucky that the force kept me pinned to the floor of the boat as it flipped, when I got thrown to the passenger side I totally destroyed the seat on that side and dislocated my shoulder in the process, the motor was hanging off the back of the boat just by the trim ram and everything was too trashed to figure out what exactly went wrong but it was something in the steering, I wasn't wearing my lanyard but was lucky that the motor died, the throttle was still at wide open when I came to, that's how fast it happened

Cost me 7k to fix and almost my life that day, I wont even ride in a boat that doesn't have hydraulic steering, when I bought my Checkmate I put it on before I even tried it out.

Your boat looks bad ass with that motor, nothing like a big outboard hanging off the back :bigthumb: but when you can please make it safe, not trying to be a dick, just don't want to see anyone get hurt :)

I vote hydro, I had dual cable on my old boat and ran it for 6 years without a problem, one day cruising along at 78 mph like I always did something let go...

John, I doubt that it was the dual cable part of the steering that let go on you. Glad you're OK and boating with us! First I've heard this story.

Typically what lets go is the single point failure areas. These are: The steering arm on the outboard (why Mercury started building thicker steering arms at one point, they had some of the older thinner arms break), and the single bolt that ties the steering arm to the steering cable attachment point. Mercury had some issues with that bolt breaking, and came out with a new part number bolt. I'll wager your break point was that single bolt. Hydro steering uses a single bolt also.
Anyone running hydro OR cable steering: Make sure you have the newer higher strength bolt! I replaced that bolt on my '95 Pulsare setup. I don't think Mercury advertises the need for this new bolt, I found out about it from a buddy that races. I won't quote the part number of the bolt, as it may have changed in the last several years since I replaced mine.

John, I doubt that it was the dual cable part of the steering that let go on you.

I don't know, it was supposed to be no feedback steering and it ripped the wheel right out of my hands, that seemed like feedback to me, this was the boat.

Attachments

• avenger.jpg
    avenger.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 44
I am running dual cable on my Enticer with a 150 and with any more power I'd run hydro steering. There is no issue running the dual cable steering on an Enticer. Due to my jack plate (4"), I did cut an extra hole for the cables to exit so the cables aren't bent too much. Very similar to what Mr. Buss (I think) did on his old Predictor.

Reactions: JW
What were Enticers rated for? 125 I think. How would you get liability insurance?

Liability insurance on a 30 year old boat ? I suppose some people do that. None that I know personally though. Seriously. I know many people who have boats and none of them have liability insurance. I live in a very rural and sparsely populated area. We don't have yachts to run into and on most days if not all days on the water I don't come within a mile of other boaters even when loading. Family only on the boat. Full coverage on a newer boat I could see but I can't imagine a situation I would be in where liability coverage would benefit me.

FWIW this boat is 31 years old. It has never had liability insurance coverage.

That first picture looks interesting.... :eyecrazy:
Are you planning to fit the Enticer as a snow plough in Winter? ;)

Like the second pic. :thumb:

On Liability insurance - don't just think of other boats. If you have passengers and something serious happens, pray they don't sue you (or someone they are "survived by").
Just trying to play devil's advocate here.
I set up insurance for my (new to me) 24yr old boat last week after skipping it for the last year on the 32yr old Enticer. The way I reckoned - as cautious as I am driving around other boats, I was taking 3 visiting family members around Manhattan last Friday afternoon, and it's a lot cheaper to pay $222 for the year (fully covered - boat, liability) than risk being sued for something that I could be paying for the rest of my life.
CYA.

Keep those pics coming!

The chance of getting liability on a grossly overpowered boat are slim to none. Until that changes I'll just drive accordingly when I have passengers.

That first picture looks interesting.... :eyecrazy:
Are you planning to fit the Enticer as a snow plough in Winter? ;)

Like the second pic. :thumb:

On Liability insurance - don't just think of other boats. If you have passengers and something serious happens, pray they don't sue you (or someone they are "survived by").
Just trying to play devil's advocate here.
I set up insurance for my (new to me) 24yr old boat last week after skipping it for the last year on the 32yr old Enticer. The way I reckoned - as cautious as I am driving around other boats, I was taking 3 visiting family members around Manhattan last Friday afternoon, and it's a lot cheaper to pay $222 for the year (fully covered - boat, liability) than risk being sued for something that I could be paying for the rest of my life.
CYA.

Keep those pics coming!

Back