• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Does anybody know the purpose of this switch

asalow

I don't see the point of thes switch can anybody shed some light on this for me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 90
Looks like it Might be your engine kill switch. If it is it should have a
lanyard that slips around your wrist that kills the motor if ya get thrown
out or flip the boat. Safety feature. Will it kill the engine when you
flip it.

flip it.

Wrenchmate would be correct. That is a kill switch. You should be able to buy a replacement lanyard for it at just about any marine store if the boat did not come with one. To install it you will need to slide the key or something thin of the sorts through the slot in the top of the switch to toggle it down (off position) and put the lanyard on it and flip it back up. It would also the be a good idea to test it on a somewhat regular basis to make sure it is functioning correctly. Safety is important!!

As far as safety goes, that could be the most important switch on the boat. Connect the lanyard to it, then connect the lanyard to yourself. If things get hairy when you are running hard, that switch will keep a bad situation from getting worse!!

Just curious how many of you wear your lanyards?

I wear mine when i run hard in rough water. I should wear it more often than i do and i will admit that but when we really get to having fun it gets slipped over my wrist and if its really fun hooked to my life jacket!

Just curious how many of you wear your lanyards?

I use mine most of the time (with 2 young kids usually on board, I need to be able to move around in the boat at slower speeds), and all the time when running long distance and/or WOT.
I was able to pick up a jetski lanyard to match my Yamaha kill switch - much more comfortable to put on the wrist that trying to find a loop on clothing to attach the older clip versions.

Now if I could only get back to my European habit of wearing a PFD on every trip I would be even safer out there! Not making it mandatory law is asking for trouble.....although I have to say I don't really want to wear one in the peak summer temps!

kill switch

flip it.

yes it is a kill switch but you can not attach a lanyard to it in any way its like a plastic cover over a toggle switch and the only way you can hit the switch to kill position is if you take the key out of ignition and there is a little slot in the top of the plastic cover using the key to push it down to off position no human finger can fit in it

Used mine once on cumberland lake running long distances. The lanyard will have a metal ring. Flip the switch down. Loop ring over switch then flip it up in the run position. When tugged on it will Pull the switch to the off position.

Switch

Used mine once on cumberland lake running long distances. The lanyard will have a metal ring. Flip the switch down. Loop ring over switch then flip it up in the run position. When tugged on it will Pull the switch to the off position.

Hmm I'll have to look into that a bit does anybody have a picture of the same kill switch with lanyard attached it would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone for the quick responses :banana::banana:

I dont have a pic but my wife cleaned up the boat at Lake Cumberland and decided the lanyard was cluttering up the boat and stashed it away. When I tried to start it later not paying any attention to the lanyard missing the boat would not fire. It was embarrassing when Slingblade walked up to help out and said to check the string thingy (lanyard) and I was thinking I had flood it out. Never let that happen again. It will let it turn over but no fire. Always check that first if not firing and I always wear mine at speeds. No one wants to see an un manned boat at full throttle. Be safe out there.

red-lanyard-kill-switch.jpg

pulse 170br kill switch

Wrenchmate would be correct. That is a kill switch. You should be able to buy a replacement lanyard for it at just about any marine store if the boat did not come with one. To install it you will need to slide the key or something thin of the sorts through the slot in the top of the switch to toggle it down (off position) and put the lanyard on it and flip it back up. It would also the be a good idea to test it on a somewhat regular basis to make sure it is functioning correctly. Safety is important!!

sorry every one i must have skipped right over this post that clearly answered my questions thanks all

You can walk in to any Merc dealer for a replacement. Cabella's, Bass Pro Shop, and even some tackle shops might have them. I always wear mine. I actually clip the lanyard to a rock climbing caribener clip (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) that I attach to my belt or a belt loop. The only time that I don't have my lanyard on is if I'm docking the boat by myself in case I need to fend off a dock or another boat.

Back