• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Ran my Verado 400r

Well how do i put it, I've seen some 21 & 24 foot Checks some older some younger than mine with perfectly finished transoms, unfortunately mine probably was the black sheep on the assembly line that day in 2012 missing the attention to detail & TLC in a few areas, don't get me wrong i believe Checkmate makes a quality product but in my case the transom wasn't bonded properly to the deck leaving a 3/8 gap between the transom & splah well that was covered lightly with silicon instead of being glassed over then caped off with an aluminum trim piece that didn't fit quite right, so the 2 yrs it sat at a dealer in Alexandria Bay, NY, occasionally hitting the water, i bought it with 8 hrs on the hobbs in early 14', the water started to do it's thing creeping into the wood plus the year & 1/2 i've had it in salt water didn't help matters either, it softened the top left side of the transom & i fixed it as best i could with CPEC when i changed over to the 400R, yes it was flexing & now i know why I couldn't stop the porpoising on my high speed runs. So, from ideas & suggestion of an expert & friends hear i am reinforcing the transom to take it to the next level, test different setups in quest for more speed & stability, well that's it in a nut shell.....wow that was long :lol:

That's a bummer, but you are taking it well and moving on so to put it. Would that have been a warranty deal? I know that the high 90mph yellow 2100 that wildman sold this year was leaking water in from what sounded like the same area. The new owner made a small fuss about it on Facebook then the status was removed. I think that one was built in 2011.

I can't wait to see what you came up with, but sorry that you had to. It sounds like its gonna be solid.

I am also very interested about your reasons for reinforcing the transom. Definitely keep us posted on the your progress and some pictures. If your interested in making two sets of transom plates, count me in for buying one :D

Roger that Chuck, Our boats although the same model have slight variations in construction & glass layup & I've seen that angles in the bilge area, splash well, transom & stringers are not equally the same, i.e. left side angle under splash well to transom in my boat is 78*, right side is 80*, you get the picture, when I pulled out my mold it had to slide out with equal side movement & pull, if it got catywampus it would jam, tight fit. I will send you my molds & you can see how they fit, being wood you can shave or cut & reglue to fit then you can have a fabricator replicate to aluminum or I can have mine do it for you, good winter project :lol:

That's a bummer, but you are taking it well and moving on so to put it. Would that have been a warranty deal? I know that the high 90mph yellow 2100 that wildman sold this year was leaking water in from what sounded like the same area. The new owner made a small fuss about it on Facebook then the status was removed. I think that one was built in 2011.

I can't wait to see what you came up with, but sorry that you had to. It sounds like its gonna be solid.

Yes it would be a warranty fix & I have no doubts that Checkmate would have done the right thing if thehy had seen the problem, summer is never ending hear with global warming & all, 82* today :lol: so we just kept using our boat.

Roger that Chuck, Our boats although the same model have slight variations in construction & glass layup & I've seen that angles in the bilge area, splash well, transom & stringers are not equally the same, i.e. left side angle under splash well to transom in my boat is 78*, right side is 80*, you get the picture, when I pulled out my mold it had to slide out with equal side movement & pull, if it got catywampus it would jam, tight fit. I will send you my molds & you can see how they fit, being wood you can shave or cut & reglue to fit then you can have a fabricator replicate to aluminum or I can have mine do it for you, good winter project :lol:

James, I'll be looking forward to your fabrication! I'm sure I'll be copying you when I decide to increase my setback!

Back