Checkmate Community Boating Forums

Checkmate Community Boating Forums (http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Technical Discussion (http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   454 MAG MPI Pro Charger upgrade (http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31932)

Chellems 03-08-2016 04:48 PM

454 MAG MPI Pro Charger upgrade
 
Ok pulled the trigger Kunkal Marine installing and rigging my Stiletto with a pro charger. Cant wait for spring!
Currently boat runs 69.9 MPH on GPS running 25 Mirage, 4900 RPM (Bravo 1 1.5). Started at 66.6 MPH with 24 Bravo 1 5150 RPM.

merc245 03-08-2016 06:31 PM

Very Interesting, What exhaust are you running or going to run. I run a 2000 24 ZT with the same mota except the previous owner was nice enough to install a set CMI E-top headers. I run 72 mph with a 25 mirage plus 4700/4800.

Would you mind if I hit you up for the hard numbers's$$$$ sometime Merc245

Problem Child 03-08-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chellems (Post 656335)
Ok pulled the trigger Kunkal Marine installing and rigging my Stiletto with a pro charger. Cant wait for spring!
Currently boat runs 69.9 MPH on GPS running 25 Mirage, 4900 RPM (Bravo 1 1.5). Started at 66.6 MPH with 24 Bravo 1 5150 RPM.

They are the best to work with. They rigged my Convincor last spring and are top notch. Extremely honest and knowledgeable. I can't say enough about the respect I have for them. You will be rockin the lake !!

corey331 03-09-2016 06:53 AM

Can't say enough for the guys at Kunkel's. Jason has been a wealth of knowledge and parts on my LS build. They also did the rigging on my Dad's Baja and it turned out awesome!!! You won't be disappointed!!!

Chellems 03-09-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merc245 (Post 656336)
Very Interesting, What exhaust are you running or going to run. I run a 2000 24 ZT with the same mota except the previous owner was nice enough to install a set CMI E-top headers. I run 72 mph with a 25 mirage plus 4700/4800.

Would you mind if I hit you up for the hard numbers's$$$$ sometime Merc245

Based from my prop testing a change to a 25P Mirage will get you an additional 200-300 RPM's with no other change. No problem on the $$$, his estimate was $8,300, will let you know when we are done.
Stock Merc Manifolds but asked Jason if changing to headers would help. Jason stated not necessary but would help. Looks like from your results 2-3 MPH. Not sure if Jason will be changing the head gaskets or not but I don't think so. Think the plan is to keep the boost down around 3 PSI to keep her reliable. I will continue to post as we go.

Chellems 03-31-2016 01:18 PM

454 MAG MPI Pro Charger Upgrade
 
Okay made the 5 1/2 hour journey to Ohio yesterday and met with Jason Kunkel and dropped the boat off. The Pro Charger system was there on the floor just waiting for the boat. I cannot wait to have my CM put in the water and see her roar!
May have him add headers at the same time just depends upon the $$$. That may have to wait until next year we will see.
:drool:

Chellems 03-31-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chellems (Post 656342)
Based from my prop testing a change to a 25P Mirage will get you an additional 200-300 RPM's with no other change. No problem on the $$$, his estimate was $8,300, will let you know when we are done.
Stock Merc Manifolds but asked Jason if changing to headers would help. Jason stated not necessary but would help. Looks like from your results 2-3 MPH. Not sure if Jason will be changing the head gaskets or not but I don't think so. Think the plan is to keep the boost down around 3 PSI to keep her reliable. I will continue to post as we go.

I will have a 25P Mirage for sale and a brand new never in water 27P Mirage for sale. I would think the 27P if you have it labbed would get you the same RPM's with a 3-5 MPH gain. If interested just let me know.

corey331 03-31-2016 01:43 PM

Are they Mirage or Mirage Plus?

Chellems 03-31-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corey331 (Post 656864)
Are they Mirage or Mirage Plus?

Mirage. I created a detailed spreadsheet for prop testing.

27 pitch Mirage Plus
- 4400 RPM, 66 MPH GPS, 12% Slip

25 Pitch Mirage
- 4900 RPM, 69.9 MPH GPS, 10% Slip, boat came alive

The Mirage prop will turn 200-300 higher RPM then the Mirage Plus.

Chellems 03-31-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corey331 (Post 656864)
Are they Mirage or Mirage Plus?

Mirage. I created a detailed spreadsheet for prop testing.

27 pitch Mirage Plus
- 4400 RPM, 66 MPH GPS, 12% Slip

25 Pitch Mirage
- 4900 RPM, 69.9 MPH GPS, 10% Slip, boat came alive

The Mirage prop will turn 200-300 higher RPM then the Mirage Plus.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002-2019 Checkmate-Boats.com & Whitecap Enterprises Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Images & Content are Copyright material and may not used without prior written permission.