header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Play To Win!!
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Play To Win!! This is the general Checkmate discussion forum. Come on in and tell us all about your boat! If your topic doesn't fit into our other Checkmate related topics, then this is the place to put it!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
March 2019's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Chrisg82's" Enchanter Jet! 2 13%
I vote for "JupiterPulsare's" 2400 Pulsare! 0 0%
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 3 19%
I vote for "senator-holland's" Convincor! 1 6%
I vote for "stuart enchanter's" Enchanter! 10 63%
Voters: 16 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 03-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
H2O
Wannabe

H2O is on a distinguished road

Default question for 2400 BRX owners

I've been shopping hard for a 2400 BRX for the last couple of years, and so far have only seen one for sale West of the Mississippi (and that one was still 1500 + miles away)

Needles to say I haven't been able to get a ride here on the West Coast. I am willing to fly in for a sale and ship cross country if necessary, but before I hop on a plane, can any 2400 BRX please chime in:

How does the 2400 BRX ride and handle chop compared to other boats in it's size range?

I understand the it a relatively lightweight boat with a shallow freeboard.....on the other hand it does have a 22 deg deadrise bottom, without a pad. I've browsed a lot of threads and forums and read a few comments like "to does pretty well for what it is".

So can anyone compare the ride in light chop to other similar sized boats? Here's just a few thrown out as an example: (hard to even name a direct competitor, with so few 23'+ sport boats with an outboard...and understand a heavier I/O boat is going to be a bit more stable, so not really apples to apples)

Cobalt 220, Chaparral 246, Baja 232 Islander , Hurricane 2400 OB, Superboat 24 OB, Lavey Craft 24 Nu Era, Nordic Rage, etc, etc

FWIW - I am going to be in Central Florida in May, if any 2400 BRX owners are willing to give me a short ride in exchange for beers, lunch or gas money, etc.

Thx to all!
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H2O For This Useful Post:
jjg (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
jjg
Vice Admiral

Thanked 1,152 Times in 431 Posts
jjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud of
Model Owned: 2014 Pulsare 2400 w/400R, 2011 1850 w/175 Verado

Hello and welcome! I will try and answer your questions, however I dont have a BRX but a 24 closed deck, but it is the same hull, the BRX is just a bit heavier.
Mine is a 2014 which I ordered originally with a 300 Pro Verado, boat had great manners was predictable, and rode great at all speeds, no walk or porpoise and did pretty good in a 2-3’ chop at 50 mph. I did run into a guy with a BRX that had a 300xs on, and he complained of alot of chine walk above 67+mph and being a bit of a handfull at WOT. I never had any these handling issues due to being able to run a much larger prop with the torque of the Verado behind it.
About a year later in 2015 I upgraded to the 400R with the sportmaster gearcase, this motor added an entire new positive dimension to the ride, handling and top speed of this boat. The increased torque seemed to just eat up the chop and allow running 60 through the same conditions seem like nothing to worry about, the larger 5.4”sportmaster also seemed to improve ride and handling immensely, when compared to the std 4.8” on the 300 Verado . I can cruise at 70 in 1-2’ chop with minimal trim input and plenty of hammer left to drop. I do run the Thunder Run poker run every year on Lake Cumberland in this boat and it does do pretty well in the heavy swells, the lady gets a bit anxious once flight takes place, so it could do better IMO, but Im sure you understand��
If youre ever near south central KY give me a shout, Id be more than happy to give you a ride!
jjg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjg For This Useful Post:
H2O (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
ckaluger
Convincor

ckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of light
Model Owned: 1999 Formula Fastech 312

I have been beside him on that lake, he is telling the truth, it is amazing the kind of water that boat can handle.

Chuck
ckaluger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckaluger For This Useful Post:
H2O (03-07-2019), jjg (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
H2O
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg View Post
Hello and welcome! I will try and answer your questions, however I dont have a BRX but a 24 closed deck, but it is the same hull, the BRX is just a bit heavier.
Mine is a 2014 which I ordered originally with a 300 Pro Verado, boat had great manners was predictable, and rode great at all speeds, no walk or porpoise and did pretty good in a 2-3’ chop at 50 mph. I did run into a guy with a BRX that had a 300xs on, and he complained of alot of chine walk above 67+mph and being a bit of a handfull at WOT. I never had any these handling issues due to being able to run a much larger prop with the torque of the Verado behind it.
About a year later in 2015 I upgraded to the 400R with the sportmaster gearcase, this motor added an entire new positive dimension to the ride, handling and top speed of this boat. The increased torque seemed to just eat up the chop and allow running 60 through the same conditions seem like nothing to worry about, the larger 5.4”sportmaster also seemed to improve ride and handling immensely, when compared to the std 4.8” on the 300 Verado . I can cruise at 70 in 1-2’ chop with minimal trim input and plenty of hammer left to drop. I do run the Thunder Run poker run every year on Lake Cumberland in this boat and it does do pretty well in the heavy swells, the lady gets a bit anxious once flight takes place, so it could do better IMO, but Im sure you understand��
If youre ever near south central KY give me a shout, Id be more than happy to give you a ride!
Thanks for taking the time to reply...I really appreciate it!

I have to say, I'm surprised you are able to run at any speed in the Thunder Run Poker Run. I haven't been there, but I've seen the videos and there are some BIG fast boats at that event. I'm surprised that any 24' footer could run "comfortably" in that water, let alone a lightweight 24' outboard sit down, boat. I'm not SURE how much of that is the hull, and how much of that skill and nerve, but my hat is off to you sir.

Also interesting to hear how much a difference the 400r made on the boat. If I'm not mistaken, the 400r is only about 35 lbs more than the 300 Verado, so its not the weight alone..it must be the bigger sportmaster gearcase as you say. I guess it's acting as a "bigger rudder" and helps stabilize a light boat from being bounced around as much.

I also have to wonder how much the closed bow helps vs the BRX. I remember talking to Randy Corson when he first started setting up the 2400's with Merc 300xs motors. The closed bow always ran 5 mph faster, due to carrying the bow higher than the BRX, regardless of prop and set-up with the same engine. I asked it adding a bow cover helped at all, and he said no, its just the extra weight of the open bow.

I believe the 2400BRX with a 400r runs right at 80-82....are you doing a little better than that with the closed decK?

Thanks again for the great info!

Last edited by H2O; 03-07-2019 at 02:08 PM.
jjg (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
H2O
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaluger View Post
I have been beside him on that lake, he is telling the truth, it is amazing the kind of water that boat can handle.

Chuck
Says a lot coming from a guy with a Formula Fastech 312 (if you still have it) Those are wave crushers, aren't they?
Old 03-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
jjg
Vice Admiral

jjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud ofjjg has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaluger View Post

Chuck
Thanks for the kind words my friend!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
H2O
Wannabe

jjg -

Are you running a foot pedal on your set-up, or standard hand throttle?

Fixed jack plate or hydraulic?

Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
jjg
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply...I really appreciate it!

I have to say, I'm surprised you are able to run at any speed in the Thunder Run Poker Run. I haven't been there, but I've seen the videos and there are some BIG fast boats at that event. I'm surprised that any 24' footer could run "comfortably" in that water, let alone a lightweight 24' outboard, sit down, boat. I'm not SURE how much of that is the hull, and how much of that skill and nerve, but my hat is off to you sir.

Also interestING to hear how much a difference the 400r made on the boat. If I'm not mistakeN, the 400r is only about 35 lbs more than the 300 Verado, so its not the weight alone..it must be the bigger sportmaster gearcase as you say. I guess it's acting as a "bigger rudder" and helps stabilize a light boat from being bounced around as much.

I also have to wonder how much the closed bow helps vs the BRX. I remember talking to Randy Corson when he first started setting up the 2400's with Merc 300xs motors. The closed bow always ran 5 mph faster, due to carrying the bow higher than the BRX, regardless of prop and set-up with the same engine. I asked it adding a bow cover helped at all, and he said no, its just the extra weight of the open bow.

I believe the 2400BRX with a 400r runs right at 80-82....are you doing a little better than that with the closed decK?

Thanks again for the great info!
Well, as far as the Thunder Run is concerned skill & nerve play a part, but you also have to figure in a little bit of crazy too! And theres no shortage of that in my speedos

Concerning the handling with the 400, the larger gearcase plays a roll along with the increased torque of this motor that allows you to push through and overcome whats coming at you, these two variables combined make a big difference.

Now with the new 23p MAX 5 ST prop, 2 people, full load of beer & gear Im running 80-81, havent run it yet with a light load and just myself yet, but this prop reduced my slip from 13.5% with a Bravo FS 24p, to 9% and just hooks this boat up like its on rails!

The BRX’s CG is a bit further forward so it should run similar speeds, even though its marginally heavier.

In closing, Ill leave you with some Thunder Run craziness! Cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjg For This Useful Post:
ChuckB (03-14-2019), H2O (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
jjg
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
jjg -

Are you running a foot pedal on your set-up, or standard hand throttle?

Fixed jack plate or hydraulic?

Thanks again!
Im running Std hand throttle and an Atlas 6 hydraulic jp. I think I will move to a nice Shaun Torrente static 6 plate for added rigidity in the future.
If you do some searching, there is a build thread on here for this boat and several other good progress threads showing the evolution as well.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
H2O
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg View Post
Im running Std hand throttle and an Atlas 6 hydraulic jp. I think I will move to a nice Shaun Torrente static 6 plate for added rigidity in the future.
If you do some searching, there is a build thread on here for this boat and several other good progress threads showing the evolution as well.
Great info, thanks again.

One tidbit I do remember from another build thread on a 2400 BRX with a 400r, is that the owner experienced a good bit of chine walk with his original set-up. IIRC, he stated the 400r already has a bit of set back built into the transom mount, and reducing the size of the set-back plate improved his speed and stability.

Cheers and remember.....

https://flic.kr/p/Rjpxar
jjg (03-07-2019)