header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate-Boats Marketplace > Checkmate Listings
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Checkmate Listings This is our forum for listing Checkmates for sale or wanted. Please note that this forum is for member placed Checkmate listings only. For linking to non member listings such as eBay ads, please use our eBay, Internet & Other Listings Forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
March 2019's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Chrisg82's" Enchanter Jet! 2 13%
I vote for "JupiterPulsare's" 2400 Pulsare! 0 0%
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 3 19%
I vote for "senator-holland's" Convincor! 1 6%
I vote for "stuart enchanter's" Enchanter! 10 63%
Voters: 16 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 03-08-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
speedaholic
Wannabe

speedaholic is on a distinguished road

Default Looking at a 88' Starflight tomorrow Help!!!

Im going to most likely be buying a 1988 21' Starflight with a 1988 Evinrude 200XP. I have always loved that hull! One of the prettiest boats I have ever seen. Boat has original gel and with a good buffing it will be in very nice shape. Motor hasn't run in 8 years but turns over and has good compression. WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR? Are there and problems that are inherent to the Starflight? Its been sitting under a tarp for several years. I am very familiar with boats but I have never had a Checkmate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Ray
speedaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:46 PM   #2
speedaholic
Wannabe

Default Here it is!

Old 03-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
merc245
Senator

Thanked 1,769 Times in 786 Posts
merc245 has a reputation beyond repute
merc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 89 sportfire, 92 starflite, 00 24ZT

About 95% of the hulls problems go back to the wood that was used in them. Check for stress cracks in the splash well lip. Simple spider cracks or the cracks open up even a 16th of an inch. Pull up on the mota can you get the transom to flex? Does the trailer bunks extend past the transom. If not 8 yrs is a long time, look for any hook at the transom edge. Look if there’s any rust streaks running down inside of transom. Check for transom knees and if there’s any separation of knees/transom/stringer are they soft. Is the floor soft anywhere. Under rear seat compartment , just in front of rear seats. Is the rear bench soft. (Went thru mine). Does it have a ski locker? Is the edge soft and edge trim secure. Will it hold up the lid with someone standing on it.( had order new trim ring and thru bolt mine) are the screws original, or have the been reemed on. Is the carpet in locker still glued down, if not means lots of water was always down there.
Same for the front pedastals are they loose, look worked over, original screws vs lag bolts.
Work the owner for a good history of the boat. Was just a go fast boat or used a tow rig. ( mine had a dozen nieces & nephews grow up tubing on it it was wet from May thru September)
Under the bow any staining streaks from leaky rivets. Try to feel around the bulkhead to feel how wet the foam is. Once you purchase the boat take 3/8 drill and drill small unseen hole near the bottom of bulkhead , if water runs or drips out need to pull the foam out of the bow, this foam can easily hold 100 lbs of water, lots of starflite owners has done this including myself.
If it was me I’d 86 that motor and look for a ( I believe) mid 90’s 3 liter Merc 225 or 250 hp mota. The torque from and the extra weight is exactly what that hull needs to start flying provided you have working jackplate. With one of these motas, it will be the easiest and safest way to a solid low 70’s mph boat. Don’t extend that mota back 12-15 inches, because if you don’t have transom issues you soon will, a good 5- 8 inches with a 3 liter Merc is perfect.
21 seasons with a starflite merc245 hp 2.5 cle. After 21 seasons of abuse I basically sold the mota and threw the hull and trailer in for free just to get it off the drive to make room for the 24ZT I purchased. Good Luck!

ps my girlfriend just suggested I just cut and paste my answer as this question comes up about a half of dozen times a yr.

Last edited by merc245; 03-09-2019 at 07:12 AM.
merc245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to merc245 For This Useful Post:
Jimway (03-09-2019), JW (03-09-2019), TMR (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
speedaholic
Wannabe

Default Much Thanks!

Thanks so much! Just what i was hoping to find before I head down there. I will keep you posted! Ray
Old 03-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
NJfrank
Wannabe

NJfrank is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: 1984 Sport Fire CE

Nice looking rig Merc245, I'm digging out my 84 sport fire this week and getting it ready to rock this summer, its been sitting for the past five years. Taking it to local marina to have them go over the motor and running gear. Need to rebuild the flip up section of the back seat and she should be ready to hit the water again, Can't wait, weather should be breaking soon here in New Jersey.
NJfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,304 Times in 984 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

Prompt, informative, and concise. No need to look anywhere else.
Jimway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
MR.DETERMINATION
Trimate

MR.DETERMINATION is a name known to allMR.DETERMINATION is a name known to allMR.DETERMINATION is a name known to allMR.DETERMINATION is a name known to allMR.DETERMINATION is a name known to allMR.DETERMINATION is a name known to all

Very through Merc 245, Definitely Shake the 2 front seats, to see if they come loose I had mine pull out. Also check the floor for soft spots. You may also want to check with JT PATRONI on this site he rebuilt a 21 Starflite from the ground up and is very familiar with the boat Welcome to the site, Good luck with the Boat Keep us posted and enjoy your boat.
MR.DETERMINATION is offline   Reply With Quote