header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Powerplant Technical Discussions > Engine Technical Discussion
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Engine Technical Discussion This is our non outboard engine related technical discussion forum. If your boat is powered by a Inboard/Outboard, Jet drive, V-drive, or even something else, then this is the forum for you! Topics include engine repair and maintenance, modifications, drives and gearcases, electrical and electronics, etc. For technical assistance related to outboards, please use our outboard tech forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
November 2019's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 2 18%
I vote for "senator-holland's" Convincor! 2 18%
I vote for "KevinR's" Pulsare! 2 18%
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 2 18%
I vote for "Budman's" 253 Convincor! 3 27%
Voters: 11 100%
Replies (11)
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 11-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
The Stone
Wannabe

The Stone is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: 1985 Exciter I/O

Default Mercruiser 260 exhaust water

Hey all,

I noticed something with my boat that I'm not sure is right or not. This has been happening since I bought it 2 summer's ago and it always bugged me but i couldn't find anyone with the same problem. My boat has through hull exhaust, and when i start it it takes a few seconds for water to come out of the pipes (normal). What i don't think is normal is the port side starts spraying water much later than the starboard side. And it never sprays as much water as the starboard side, even after fully warmed up. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
The Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Gimme Fuel
Senator

Thanked 2,937 Times in 1,608 Posts
Gimme Fuel has a reputation beyond reputeGimme Fuel has a reputation beyond repute
Gimme Fuel has a reputation beyond reputeGimme Fuel has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 2000 Powerquest 380, 1987 Starfire, Past: 1997 253 Convincor,

Pretty common actually. A lot ow wet exhaust setups prefer one side versus the other. However there are things you can do to make it less noticeable.

- Check for blockages in merc wet riser gasket joints. The openings can get plugged with sand or rust flakes obstructing flow.
- Back flush hose through transom assembly for any sand/impeller pieces lodged in there.
- Install water pump fresh impeller and housing. Flow could be decreasing enough on old one you have causing you to notice it.
- Check the aluminum water fitting on inner transom assembly where hose comes through from drive. This can corrode and pinch off the water inlet. Commonly known as "bravo-itis" but could happen on alpha as well.