header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Overhaulin' > Restoration Discussions
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Restoration Discussions This forum is discussing restorations, as well as for threads with detailed photos of the various steps of a restoration.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
2017's Boat of the Year Vote!
January 2017!
February 2017!
March 2017!
April 2017!
May 2017!
June 2017!
July 2017!
August 2017!
September 2017!
October 2017!
November 2017!
December 2017!
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 12-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #1
1980 ENCHANTER
Wannabe

1980 ENCHANTER is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: enchanter

Default aerodynamic fin

does anyone know what the aerodynamic fin on the back of race boats in front of the outboard motor is called? kinda resembles a shark fin. and also is there any checkmates that came with them or has anyone put one on a mate. im considering finding or fabing one for my enchanter just for looks.
1980 ENCHANTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,282 Times in 696 Posts
karzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud of
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

Are you talking on the bottom of the hull or the front of the motor? If it's the bottom of the hull those fins can also be found on pretty much all the tournament ski boats and wake board / surf boats too because they have a direct shaft drive or V shaft driven prop and a rudder.

If your talking about a fin on the front of an outboard motor, well that's a nose cone and low water pick up.
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,167 Times in 934 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

If we are indeed speaking aero vs hydro, then how about fairing, which might be topped by a fin.
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
1980 ENCHANTER
Wannabe

sorry I have been away from civilization for a few days. look up like a Allison drag boat its the fin on top of boat rite infront of the cowling to kinda direct air around it. I was just wondering if any one has made one for a checkmate I wanted to see how it would look.i may want to fab one for the enchanter
Old 12-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,282 Times in 696 Posts
karzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud ofkarzrus has much to be proud of
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

Ohh, I got it now, not sure what it's called, but you want a faring for the powerhead. I don't think I've ever seen one or any pictures of one on an Enchanter or any of the other non- race checkmate hulls.
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
JT Patroni
Diplomat

Thanked 1,666 Times in 734 Posts
JT Patroni has a brilliant future
JT Patroni has a brilliant futureJT Patroni has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 1985 Starflite 96 Johnson 3.0 200 LE

Other than a custom look, I don't think you will attain enough speed safely to get any benefit from a fairing in front of the motor.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
1980 ENCHANTER
Wannabe

yes it would be just for looks I like the way they look. kinda like putting a cowl hood on a stock vehicle it dosent go any faster but it looks good lol