header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Powerplant Technical Discussions > Outboard Technical Discussion
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Outboard Technical Discussion This is our outboard engine related technical discussion forum. Topics include engine repair and maintenance, modifications, gearcases, electrical and electronics, etc. For technical assistance related to topics not outboard related please use our other Engine forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
2017's Boat of the Year Vote!
January 2017!
February 2017!
March 2017!
April 2017!
May 2017!
June 2017!
July 2017!
August 2017!
September 2017!
October 2017!
November 2017!
December 2017!
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 11-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
2015VXR
Jetmate

2015VXR is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: 1983 Checkmate Sportfire 17F

Default piston Rings

I have a mercury 90 HP 4 stroke that i just installed new rings and honed the cylinders. I have about an hour run time on the motor. I building a mercury 115 4 stroke that uses the same piston rings. Can I hone the cylinders on the 115 and reuse the piston rings from the 90hp. I not going to use the 90Hp anymore.

Thanks
2015VXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,167 Times in 934 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

Can you use them? Sure. But should you use them? No.
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimway For This Useful Post:
Gimme Fuel (12-06-2017), Viper 1 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
2015VXR
Jetmate

Do you think they are seated into the other cylinders already? I know it only a $160 for the new set of ring. But I'm trying to understand why they can't be used. Any insight to help understand, would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Jimway
Ambassador

Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute

.. From the 'Book of Jim'..,The piston rings perform a critical function during all four phases of intake, compression, power, and exhaust. The rings keep oil and air from being drawn past the piston on the intake stroke. The rings keep all of the air/fuel in the cylinder during the compression stroke. during the power stroke the rings keep all of the expanding gases from blowing past the piston as the pressure pushes the piston down. On the exhaust stroke, the rings make sure that all of the spent gases are pushed out the exhaust port. Rings that do not seal well can leave 10, 20, 30, or more horsepower on the table depending on the size, compression ratio, and speed of the engine. Leaks during compression will cause loss of velocity and volumetric efficiency. Leaks on power stroke will let bad stuff into the crankcase to wreak havoc with the cleanliness of said oil (here comes loss of lubricative qualities of the oil and resultant engine damage). Rings that leak on the exhaust stroke will lower scaveging and allow some residual exhaust to dilute the incoming charge on the upcoming next intake event, again, lost power. How are we doing so far?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimway For This Useful Post:
Gimme Fuel (12-06-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
2015VXR
Jetmate

Thanks Jim,

very helpful information.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2015VXR For This Useful Post:
Jimway (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Jimway
Ambassador

Helpful and informative, but did you notice how I ran intake and compression together there just to see if Sim would notice.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
1954bmw
Playmate

1954bmw is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: 1971 MX15w 115-135 Frankenmerc, 16.6 Sea Ray, 2- 18.6 Sea Rays, 3888 Bayliner, 1973 MX14w 50 merc

Sorry to hijack your thread, but Jimway, ain't it about time for another story, I'm bored?????
1954bmw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1954bmw For This Useful Post:
Gimme Fuel (12-06-2017), Jimway (11-21-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #8
Jimway
Ambassador

OK let's hijack. I call this one Bearscat. We must step back in the past a ways, before cell phones and video games and similar stuff. Old Jim was just young Jim back then but deep into reading and studying and performing actual applications from the "Boys Book of Aggravations". I was fortunate to have an "old man" of my very own. Something that youngsters of today are keenly missing. Old men are nowadays somehow very underrated. I think every kid should have an old man of his own to hang out with and be taught the finer points in life. The wisdom, knowledge, experience, and including the mastery of some of the finer elements of language, learned and earned throughout a lifetime, cannot just be picked up by osmosis. Most old men have this to spare, time too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimway For This Useful Post:
1954bmw (12-06-2017), Gimme Fuel (12-06-2017), karzrus (12-05-2017), wss (12-08-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
Jimway
Ambassador

Having time to spare can be invaluable to a youngster. Your old man wouldn't have just a pinched off minute here and there to offer, but would have whole days, nights, and even weeks at a time to spend with you, often outdoors, nearly always away from the womenfolk, who generally were concerned that the male portion of the group kept there 'nose to the grindstone' as it were. This 'grubbing for money' can make one rather unpleasant and can cause one to fritter away their life in pursuit of it if one is not careful. Phrases like 'Stay out of trouble' (really, what's the point?), and 'Staying on the high road' (I never found nothing good on the high road, but on the low road, it was guns, tools, Ford roadsters, vessels of all sizes, bikes, aircraft, parts of all kinds and various equipment, some of which is still unidentified to this day) hung in the air around the female portion of the group. They would also endeavour to keep you under their ever watchful gaze. Their preoccupation with keeping sharp objects, tools, guns, matches, bad language and dirt away from the inquisitive hands of the young male population of the group had reached a fever pitch one summer. I had been sent immediately upon being ejected from the front door of the schoolhouse to the confines of a ranch owned and operated by a retired uncle for the summer. The women folk had committed a major miscalculation on this one.
1954bmw (12-06-2017), Gimme Fuel (12-06-2017), karzrus (12-05-2017), wss (12-08-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Jimway
Ambassador

I'm not knocking Fathers here at all, being one myself, but they tend to be busy when one feels the urge to fish or hunt or maybe just spend the day poking about the woods hiking, following game trails or maybe just studying crows. Adults loose that 110 percent concentration that a youngster applies to stuff that they do, that and the boundless energy that many a youngster posses. On a side note, I have been trying to syphon this energy up from the youngfolk, and bottle it up for some of the older (there's that word again) elements. Anyways, My old man happened to be my Grandfather. I don't ever remember seeing him mad. He always had a good word concerning everybody. My heart leaps up whenever someone recognizes some small beneficial side of my character and might blurt out something to the effect of "You're a lot like Grandpa in that respect" Up at the ranch, there really weren't any confines at all. Having been in the logging, building, earthmoving, farming, and occasional bank robbing business (well, just kidding about that one), the ranch was home to all kinds of fantastical remnants of equipment, some of which defied identification. Some of it was still in one piece even. My Aunt and Uncle, through some sleight of nature, had been left childless, a shame in light of the fact that they absolutely loved kids. There was a large, really tall massive barn that sat some ways from the ranch house. the barn overlooked a pasture that slowly dropped down to a meadow and then to the woods. There was a wonderful workshop attached to a lower end of the barn. There was an old but lovingly maintained stationary gas engine that powered, by way of a leather looking belt, a shaft that ran the length of the ceiling of the shop. Smaller belts that ran off of this shaft powered a lathe, drill press, buzz saw, generator, table saw, planer, band saw, and other stuff too. The lower level of the barn housed trucks,tractors, tools, barn cats, lumber, the occasional livestock, ect. The upper level had a room on the end that overlooked the pasture and meadow. You might imagine that that room became my room for that glorious summer. In the very top of the barn,at the roof, on that second level, was attached a track that extended the full length of the barn. There was a trolley that ran on this track. You could move the trolley out to either end of the barn, through big doors that opened outward, and by use of ropes and pulleys, you could hoist hay and pretty much anything else that you wanted, up to the second floor. Normally, the second floor was chock full of hay bales, winter food of a lot of the critters that wandered around the ranch would need later. One could while away their spare time swinging from the rope that hung down from the trolley and jumping into piles of hay. I might make small mention that the young ladies found some keen interest romping about in the hay, a development that did not go unnoticed.
1954bmw (12-06-2017), Gimme Fuel (12-06-2017), JW (12-06-2017), wss (12-08-2017)