header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Powerplant Technical Discussions > Outboard Technical Discussion
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Outboard Technical Discussion This is our outboard engine related technical discussion forum. Topics include engine repair and maintenance, modifications, gearcases, electrical and electronics, etc. For technical assistance related to topics not outboard related please use our other Engine forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
November 2018's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator! 3 15%
I vote for "JupiterPulsare's" Starflite! 3 15%
I vote for "Chrisg82's" Enchanter Jet! 6 30%
I vote for "ekkick's" Convincor! 8 40%
Voters: 20 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 10-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Blkcorvair
Playmate

Blkcorvair is on a distinguished road

Default Finally mounted the 250efi on my pulsate next problem

So I finally mounted my new to me motor.

2002 merc 250 efi 3.0 20Ē shaft
On my 2001 pulsare 2100

I did a little testing today and Iím getting the oil sensor beep. But the tank is filling and sheís blowing blue smoke so Iíll figure that out.

Bigger problem is as soon as I get the boat on plane, the prop blows out. Running a new trophy 4 blade 25p. Motor is mounted in the same position as the old motor. The only way I could get it to stick was bury the jack plate all the way down. Donít like that cause itís so low the hydraulic steering will hit the transom if I trim the motor up a little too much.

Took it for a few short runs like that and I cant believe how fast this thing jumps out and gets up to 55+.

Any ideas why this prop keeps blowing out or what it could be? Almost feels like the shaft on the motor is too short like I canít get it low enough but I measure my old 200efi and they are both 20Ē.

Could it simply be that the holes on the prop need to be plugged? For now I left the 4 PVS plugs the stock big hole that came with it. I have some others around here that I can try but didnít think those would make the prop blow out. My 200 had 4 large hole PVS plugs in my 23P trophy and had no problems like this????
Blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
Blkcorvair
Playmate

Blkcorvair is on a distinguished road

did a lot of reading and it seems I’ll need to play with those PVS plugs. Think I might try a Blow out ring first and 4 large plugs. Than work down from there if nessasary
Blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blkcorvair For This Useful Post:
Sam I am (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Sam I am
Ambassador

Thanked 2,129 Times in 879 Posts
Sam I am has a reputation beyond repute
Sam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 89 Starliner w/ G2 250HO

That motor and hull should be an ideal combo. You're on the right track: dial in the set up.

Regarding the oils alarm, I'm unsure on the EFI's, but if you have an external main reservoir you may need to do what I did on my Pro XS when I ran out of oil: take your engine hood off and see if there is a smaller onboard reservoir. If so, make sure it's actually getting completely full from the external. Mine wouldn't actually fill up unless I unscrewed the cap on the onboard reservoir while the motor was idling which allowed the oil to displace the air from the smaller onboard reservoir while it was filling. After I did that it filled all the way and the alarm quit sounding.
2006 Pulsare 2000BR w/ 2006 225 Pro XS
2008 Pulsare 2000BR w/ 2008 150 Optimax
1989 Starliner W/ 200 hp Merc...Project Boat.
Current Boat:
1989 Starliner W/ 2015 Evinrude G2 250HO
Sam I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
KevinR
Convincor

KevinR has a spectacular aura aboutKevinR has a spectacular aura about
Model Owned: 21 Pulsare BR 250XS

don't try the blowout ring total waste of time. Play with the plugs, I have close to the same setup 21 BR Pulsare 26 trophy + 12" of setback hydro jack plate. I found with this combo I need two hole plugged and two with the medium hole installed. I also wish I would have gone with a 27 trophy + since I hit the limiter every once in a while with the 26