header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Powerplant Technical Discussions > Outboard Technical Discussion
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Outboard Technical Discussion This is our outboard engine related technical discussion forum. Topics include engine repair and maintenance, modifications, gearcases, electrical and electronics, etc. For technical assistance related to topics not outboard related please use our other Engine forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
November 2018's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator! 3 15%
I vote for "JupiterPulsare's" Starflite! 3 15%
I vote for "Chrisg82's" Enchanter Jet! 6 30%
I vote for "ekkick's" Convincor! 8 40%
Voters: 20 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 10-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Jim4553
Wannabe

Jim4553 is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: Starflite

Default No power

Hey guys I'm new to the world of outboards I have a 200 horsepower Mercury V6 I think it's a 1987 I checked the battery the battery is good I check the connections to the starter I'm getting power to the starter but it's just dead it's not doing anything please help I have no manual for this motor..
Jim4553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,296 Times in 977 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

Check all of the ground connections, many times this is the problem. I'm guessing we have a no start condition here? You turn the key to start and no crank? Did this starter used to work? What kind of electrical tester do you have handy? Oh yeah, what kind of Checkmate is the black motor hanging on the back of?
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Jim4553
Wannabe

I believe it's an 87 sportfire but not sure. Or starflite

Last edited by Jim4553; 10-17-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Hack
Enforcer

Hack is just really niceHack is just really niceHack is just really niceHack is just really niceHack is just really nice
Model Owned: 1995 Persuader 219 7.4L (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4553 View Post
I checked the battery the battery is good I check the connections to the starter I'm getting power to the starter but it's just dead...
Did you 'load test' the battery or just check voltage across the terminals? Batteries are weird creatures that will sometimes short out internally when a load is placed upon them.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Jim4553
Wannabe

Did a little more digging, may have blown the ignition fuse. Need to find where it's at on a 87 starflite..I cant load test it because it's not doing anything..I just check from terminals..battery tester said battery was good.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Jimway
Ambassador

Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site, by the way. Could be lots of stuff going on to thwart you. Could be neutral safety switch. Could be fuse. Could be a bad connection. Take jumper cables and correctly hook them directly to starter and see what happens. If starter turns, do Walter Huston Dance then proceed to check starter solenoid feed from ignition/start switch. Be careful, smoke is manufactured into the thermoplastic insulation that covers the wiring. Don't be the guy that lets it all out, unless you are a licensed electrician.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 AM   #7
Hack
Enforcer

Hack is just really niceHack is just really niceHack is just really niceHack is just really niceHack is just really nice
Model Owned: 1995 Persuader 219 7.4L (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4553 View Post
Did a little more digging, may have blown the ignition fuse. Need to find where it's at on a 87 starflite..I cant load test it because it's not doing anything..I just check from terminals..battery tester said battery was good.
Pull the battery out of the boat, take it to an auto parts store, and have them load test it.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
Jimway
Ambassador

Don't forget to report back, especially if you got her up and running again.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #9
Jim4553
Wannabe

Still chasing problem...motor does turn over..thank god...working on it today
Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Jimway
Ambassador

Well there you go. Things are looking up already. Motor turns free by hand, find the starter issue and you're back in business.