header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Non Checkmate Discussion Forums > Open Boating Forum
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Open Boating Forum This is an open forum for all boating topics non Checkmate related. If you want to discuss your Hydrostream, Allison, bassboat, tinboat, jetski etc., then this would be the forum for you. You can also use this forum for discussing anything generally boating related and also for posting boating related announcements or notices.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
June 2019's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 5 33%
I vote for "senator-holland's" Convincor! 4 27%
I vote for "boatn70's" Pulse 210! 6 40%
Voters: 15 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 05-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
PA-Checkmate
Persuader

PA-Checkmate will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 2002 Convincor 270 496-MAG-HO

Default Rain water through hull intake vents.

When it rains, even small amounts rain it comes through the air intake vents and accumulated in side off hull. I presume it's a poor choice of vent used alone with hull angle. Had about 2 inches of water on both sides marked in red in photo, and other photo shows inside of vent design. I have flaps made but not sure how well they will work. That said, anyone else been down this road? BTW, it's a 2002 Convincor 270 and vents look common on other models. I also have a full cover but will be times I will be docking in marina for several days

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water-2.jpg (17.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Water-1.jpg (35.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2904.jpg (49.1 KB, 29 views)

PA-Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
Gimme Fuel
Senator

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,607 Posts
Gimme Fuel has a reputation beyond reputeGimme Fuel has a reputation beyond repute
Gimme Fuel has a reputation beyond reputeGimme Fuel has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 2000 Powerquest 380, 1987 Starfire, Past: 1997 253 Convincor,

Had the same issue on my 253. Nature of the beast. Maybe you could make a canvas/pvc flap that just velcro's to the hand rail above the vents? Or maybe try some of that Glade Press & Seal wrap that sticks to everything. Just apply it over the vents if rain is coming then peel off and throw in trash next day?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,310 Times in 990 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

A cover can be made for this aggravation. You can make it out of plastic sheet that is 1/4 inch thick, with a small handle in the middle to facilitate installation and removal. Buddy down at the plastics place made mine. They are the same size length and width as the offending vent, they have a handle that is in the middle and looks like a flattish door handle maybe an inch in diameter, and he applied a bead of some type of rubber product to the outside edge of the back of the cover so that it looks like a kind of o-ring. Also on the back are two split pin looking things also made of pretty flexible plastic that go over the vent fins and hold the whole cover on. Made em out of white and the gasket/o-ring part is black. The split pin part kind of looks like the same part used by those little air fresheners that go in automobile air vents on the dash. At this stage of the game, and concerning whose vessel they adorn, they now have a 'Remove Before Flight' bright red streamer on them with a floatation block of smooth rubber foam, like from the boat key chain, attached to the streamer. You might imagine how this might have come about. (Murphy is often Davy Jones accomplice)
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote