header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Play To Win!!
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Play To Win!! This is the general Checkmate discussion forum. Come on in and tell us all about your boat! If your topic doesn't fit into our other Checkmate related topics, then this is the place to put it!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
July 2019's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 3 21%
I vote for "senator-holland's" Convincor! 1 7%
I vote for "Stuart Enchanter's" Bow Shot! 4 29%
I vote for "Checkmate Fever's" Dock Shot! 3 21%
I vote for "ChuckB's" Checkmate group shot! 3 21%
Voters: 14 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 11-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #1
Instigator
Enforcer

Instigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to behold
Model Owned: '86 Convincor I/O being converted to twin O/B

Have wanted to own one of these for ever and have been trying to collect info on them to help educate myself.
Would do twin modded V-6's on a 25' or twin modded V-8's on a 28'.
Couple of question for you experts.
#1. did they ever make either of these models w/o the splash well as I would fill it in if not and don't remember seeing one w/o.
#2. how much fuel do they carry?? I saw 69 gallons listed some where for the 25' I/O I think??? Way, way too small for me if so.
#3. anyone know any hard/real performance #'s from a similar rig??
My 24' Sonic runs dead on 80 GPS w/twin 250 Ocean Pro's but would expect to lose 3 - 5 MPH due to extra weight???
#4. Pictures and anything else would be a great help.
I just missed the 28' on e-bay. I had been eying that boat from day one but never had the $$ when it was available.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!
Gary
Old 11-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
Instigator
Enforcer

Instigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to beholdInstigator is a splendid one to behold

Have wanted to own one of these for ever and have been trying to collect info on them to help educate myself.
Would do twin modded V-6's on a 25' or twin modded V-8's on a 28'.
Couple of question for you experts.
#1. did they ever make either of these models w/o the splash well as I would fill it in if not and don't remember seeing one w/o.
#2. how much fuel do they carry?? I saw 69 gallons listed some where for the 25' I/O I think??? Way, way too small for me if so.
#3. anyone know any hard/real performance #'s from a similar rig??
My 24' Sonic runs dead on 80 GPS w/twin 250 Ocean Pro's but would expect to lose 3 - 5 MPH due to extra weight???
#4. Pictures and anything else would be a great help.
I just missed the 28' on e-bay. I had been eying that boat from day one but never had the $$ when it was available.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!
Gary
Old 11-22-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Boomer
Playmate

Boomer is on a distinguished road

There is one in Ct I saw last year around 1983-85 28' checkmate he had new 250 mercurs hanging off the back. No splash well at all motors on a bracker. It was not for sale at the time.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
JW
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,037 Posts
JW has a reputation beyond reputeJW has a reputation beyond repute
JW has a reputation beyond reputeJW has a reputation beyond reputeJW has a reputation beyond reputeJW has a reputation beyond reputeJW has a reputation beyond reputeJW has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: Pulsare, Pulse, Persuader

Gary, Kip just bought back a big O/B boat and brought it back into the factory to help them make a new one. Check with him, maybe he'll part with it soon for a good price??

Sold:
'08 Pulsare 1850, 2011 ETEC 150HO, 6" CMC JP, 24" Turbo, SeaStar pro, digital gauges.
'92 Pulse 170/'94 Merc 2.0 135
'95 Pulsare 2100BR/'95 Merc Promax 225 EFI/RapidJack HD 10" JP, 23" worked Tempest
'95 Persuader 183/4.3 LX/Alpha/23" Laser II/21" High 5
'92 Pulse 171/'92 XR6 150/XR6 gearcase/6" JP/26" Laser II
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 AM   #5
Instigator
Enforcer

Thanx guys!
Boomer, I thought I had seen one w/a flat transom but was'nt sure. You know, a mind is a terrible thing
Jim, do you know what size??
Was'nt what they used for the new 23' O/B was it?? It needs to be either a 25' or 28' for the additional head room (bellow deck) over the 24' Enforcers.
Gary
Old 11-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #6
Kip Combs
Enforcer

Kip Combs is just really niceKip Combs is just really niceKip Combs is just really niceKip Combs is just really nice
Model Owned: Sold my 2011 2400 BRX ...boatless for moment!

The boat we used was a Enforcer( 23 ) .....it's accually the plug......no boat left!
Kip Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
HemiBee
Persuader

HemiBee is on a distinguished road

Instigator,
Is this what you are looking for????
http://checkmate-boats.com/groupee/f...61&m=838006446

Mine's an '84. Has twin 2.5 (260) EFI's. Holds 98 gallons. 24" setback on the brackets. Boat is currently running 76 but still dialing in. Have 1200 + rpm left in the motors. With 2.4 260's the boat ran a best of 83mph.
With 2.4 200's ran a best of 73+ with low fuel and 1-person.

Currently running sportmasters on the 260 OS's. Fighting handling problems. Chinewalks like crazy above 73. Did not have this problem with the CLE's or older lowers with Bob's nosecones. Should run in the low to mid 80's with this setup.

I agree on the closed transom. I want to close in the well and make a sunpad area with a hatch for storage. Wasted space. Otherwise a really fun, attention getting boat. Really stable and easy to handle (especially below 70).
HemiBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #8
J. O. Burke
Wannabe

J. O. Burke is on a distinguished road

See my listing / photos in the Buy & Sell. 1987 .... with twin outboards
Feel free to ask away.
J. O. Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 09:52 AM   #9
Instigator
Enforcer

J.O., have already "oogled" your ad!! Sounds awesome but out of my price range and am trying to find "hull only" for cost reasons and I'm kinda partial to white motors

Bee..... all I can say is holly ****!! Had to take breaks from reading/drooling to let my heart slow down!!
I did almost the same project on my Sonic when I bought it 6 yrs ago.
On the car subject, I sold a '68 440/6 4 speed Bee to help finance my trip to Fla Was a 383 car I built a motor for. 12.60's @ 110 granny shifting through 3.91's, mufflers and street tires. Motor would turn 7K. Saw 6700 in 4th (135) while racing a bike one night (beat it )
Couple of questions/comments on the boat but first, yes that was exactly what I was looking for. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
1. are you still fighting the chine walking?? if so, lose the Sport Masters! Have never heard of them working on anything other than a tunnel/cat surfacing them at speeds over 100.
My Sonic runs rock steady @ 80 GPS w/no tab, neural trim an stock JohnnyRude cases and has a round keel!
2. was 98 gal's the capacity of the stock tank as well??
3. freagin incredible work too Bro!! I know from way too damn much experience it is always way more work/cost than what you think when you start!!
4. was very dpressing to read that Kips says only ten or so were built!!
I may have to look at an I/O and modify it
5. do you have any shot's of the finished interior?? We spend a lot of time in mine and that is one of my main concerns with moving up.
Gary
Old 11-24-2004, 09:57 AM   #10
Instigator
Enforcer

Bee P.S.,
are your motors spinning in or out??? My motors are about the same height as yours (maybe 1/2" higher)and are spinning out.
I tried spinning them in and they were too high and the props slipped bad! (stock 26" Choppers)
Just a thought.
I'll bet you a weekend of beers though that if you go to stock gear cases your problem goes away.
Also FYI, I tried Bob's nose cones on mine and lost 3 MPH's!!
I now run stock ger cases accordingly.