header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Props, Setups & Rigging
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Props, Setups & Rigging This is our Checkmate setup forum. Topics include props, jackplates and setback, trim tabs, steering etc. This is also the forum to share your best setup tips and top speed numbers. So come on in and exchange setup details with your fellow members.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
February 2020's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "KevinR's" Pulsare! 0 0%
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 1 11%
I vote for "CheckmateFever's" Group Shot! 0 0%
I vote for "TuGHiLLBoYs" Convincor Shot! 0 0%
I vote for "Coop's" Starflite! 1 11%
I vote for "Merc245's" Starlite! 6 67%
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator! 1 11%
Voters: 9 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 02-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
CheckmateVirgin
Wannabe

CheckmateVirgin is on a distinguished road

Default Checkmate Diplomat 17' prop guidence needed.

I have a Checkmate Diplomat 17ft with a 140hp evinrude vro outboard. I am currently running a 4 blade stainless prop that is 13"dia 23pitch. Does great with just a couple people in the boat but, when fully loaded ut wont get up on plane or reach rpms. Since stainless props arent cheap I wondered how far down in pitch I should go. With max amount of adults i the boat if calm out it will get up on plane eventually. It doesnt seem like im far off but im a checkmate newbie.
CheckmateVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
Glenn Kornett
Jetmate

Glenn Kornett is a jewel in the roughGlenn Kornett is a jewel in the roughGlenn Kornett is a jewel in the roughGlenn Kornett is a jewel in the rough
Model Owned: Pulsare 2400 closed deck

If you get the exact same type of prop but in 21 pitch it will raise your WOT rpm at least 300 rpm. If you select another prop type, perhaps with a 14"+ diameter that might not raise the rpm 300 but could plane even better. Some props have vent holes you can remove the plugs on that allow the prop to slip and gain rpm quicker and get the boat on the plane faster. How high is the motor on the transom? If it slips more coming on the plane with more load in the boat it might be too high but if it does not slip but just takes too long to get on the plane less pitch will help. It sounds like a 21"P of the same prop will do the trick but if you are changing to another type of prop, I would try it first and probably try a 21P first.
Glenn Kornett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
CheckmateVirgin
Wannabe

CheckmateVirgin is on a distinguished road

Yeah it will get on plane eventually just takes a while or I have to have heavier people get in front and drags motor rpm down. Not sure how far in water it is. Biggest prop I can run safely is a 13 3/4" dia I think. Its about 7" from shaft center to the fin mount thats molded i to motor bottom end. I didnt know if 21"p would be enough or if 19p would be better or too little.
CheckmateVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:13 AM   #4
Glenn Kornett
Jetmate

Glenn Kornett is a jewel in the roughGlenn Kornett is a jewel in the roughGlenn Kornett is a jewel in the roughGlenn Kornett is a jewel in the rough
Model Owned: Pulsare 2400 closed deck

A 19P (same prop type) will likely raise the WOT rpm by 500 - 600 so that might put you way over your rpm limit depending where it is. It depends on how fast you want it to come out of the hole. I think the 19P would really get it on the plane fast but you will lose top end, mid range fuel efficiency but will also work great for water sports. The 21P might come out of the hole like you do now with 2 people on board when you have a greater load. What type of prop is this? You could select props with vents that might allow a 21P to come out of the hole almost like a non vented 19P but give you better top end and fuel efficiency. I assume you have the motor trimmed all the way in when you try to bring it on the plane.
Glenn Kornett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
RTMICK
Jetmate

RTMICK is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: 185 Pulse

What is your current WOT rpm with the 23?
RTMICK is offline   Reply With Quote