header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Powerplant Technical Discussions > Engine Technical Discussion
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Engine Technical Discussion This is our non outboard engine related technical discussion forum. If your boat is powered by a Inboard/Outboard, Jet drive, V-drive, or even something else, then this is the forum for you! Topics include engine repair and maintenance, modifications, drives and gearcases, electrical and electronics, etc. For technical assistance related to outboards, please use our outboard tech forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
2019's Boat of the Year Vote!
January 2019!
February 2019!
March 2019!
April 2019!
May 2019!
June 2019!
July 2019!
August 2019!
September 2019!
October 2019!
November 2019!
December 2019!
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 07-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Critter76
Wannabe

Critter76 is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: Convincor 253

Default 97 Convincor 253 water pump

Hello everyone,
Im a fairly new member. I purchased a 97 Convincor 253 last year and I had the worst year on water ever. I paid cash from a dealer that guaranteed the boat for 30 days. That was a good thing. I had one good run all season at the end of season.

Now it feels like its starting over.

Does anyone know the part number for a 454 Bravo one impeller pump housing and impeller for full replacement, pulley and base not needed just rebuild kit.
Thanks Im advance!!

New fuel pumps low pressure and high pressure
New ignition system
New computer
New water pumps
New belts
New batteries
New tires
New sending unit
New fuel tank
New harness
New hydraulic hatch lift
New fuel lines
Critter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
Redboat
Convincor

Redboat is a jewel in the roughRedboat is a jewel in the roughRedboat is a jewel in the rough
Model Owned: 1989 Senator/454

Seawater pump Mercruiser

46-807151A14 Kit w/ 1 piece body , impeller , wearplate and 2 o-rings
Redboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:06 AM   #3
Critter76
Wannabe

Thank you very much! It will be here tomorrow
Old 07-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,348 Times in 1,009 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

You should be good for the season, you've replaced everything else. Impeller would be a normal annual thing. I wonder if someone reversed the cables when jump starting it in the past? Might provide an explanation to why all of the electrical stuff is dying in short order. Also, check output of charging system to confirm proper operation and no high volts from alternator. I had a really expensive boat in the shop that came from a local dealer (of all things) that was eating all sorts of electrical components. Someone less than competent to the marine world had substituted an automotive alternator onto the engine. The slip rings inside were worn clear through on one side so that at idle speed, the alternator would fluctuate voltage wildly. At speed, it worked fine. Couldn't believe that the others that had been chasing problems had missed the improper part. Spent more time hooking up the hose and test equipment in the driveway than it took to detect the problem. Splashed the vessel at lunchtime and burned up his tank of fuel forthwith.
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
Critter76
Wannabe

Thanks for all the info. This boat had 360 hours on it. 12 year old batteries and fuel that would stain wood black. Im sure they tried jumping it off wrong leads they were idiots! I went to R&R Prop shop for all my answers, but Boulder Boats was doing all the work all in Henderson, NV.

They sold me the Boat on consignment so they didnt look over it very well!

Hooked up the muffs after changing out the impeller pump and she runs like a raped ape. Well take her back out this weekend!!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
corey331
Diplomat

Thanked 2,183 Times in 848 Posts
corey331 has a reputation beyond repute
corey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 88 Starflite, 98 253 Convincor LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter76 View Post
Thanks for all the info. This boat had 360 hours on it. 12 year old batteries and fuel that would stain wood black. Im sure they tried jumping it off wrong leads they were idiots! I went to R&R Prop shop for all my answers, but Boulder Boats was doing all the work all in Henderson, NV.

They sold me the Boat on consignment so they didnt look over it very well!

Hooked up the muffs after changing out the impeller pump and she runs like a raped ape. Well take her back out this weekend!!

Next time you go to replace the impeller, look into getting a stainless housing from Hardin Marine. You'll never have an impeller fail due to the plastic housing failing. That ruined my weekend once when I had the big block.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
Critter76
Wannabe

Default Impeller failure

Thanks I appreciate the advice Im looking it up now!!
top speed 72 MPH
Mercury Quicksilver 25P
Its a wild ride