header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Overhaulin' > Gel Coat, Paint & Graphics
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gel Coat, Paint & Graphics This forum is discussions such as, gelcoat maintenance and repair and maintenance, hull cleaning and waxing. As well as painting , and graphics dicussions.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
July 2017's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Jupiter Pulsare's" 2800SX! 6 23%
I vote for "Demag67's" Twin Outboard Convincor! 5 19%
I vote for "Tx91z28's" MX-15! 4 15%
I vote for "82Predictor's" Predictor! 11 42%
Voters: 26 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
Mbgt86
Wannabe

Mbgt86 is on a distinguished road

Default Paint or gel coat??

Please excuse me if any of these questions come off obvious to anyone but I'm new to body work on boats. I've painted cars but I have to assume it's a totally different ball game. Maybe, ( hopefully ) not. So I have a 21' 1986 Starflite. Just all around totally faded, few gel coat cracks up on the bow. It's currently black with the red. What is the way to go? I'm looking for a shine. I don't mind cleaning and waxing etc.. it's going to be pulled every time. Is there special marine paint? Or can I just sand it down like a car, throw paint on, 5 coats of clear and go about it? I have full access to a paint booth and all the materials. I want to go to charcoal grey the whole thing. Top and bottom. Is there a different material below the rub rail? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mbgt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
miller
Enchanter

miller will become famous soon enough

Probably 15 years ago I wetsanded & clearcoated a 1981 Eluder with regular old DuPont Chromaclear. Still looks brand new today, my mom still owns it. This spring I wetsanded & clear coated my 251 with Nason....time will tell. Duponts hard to get anymore around here & ppg they say is reallllly hard. Afraid it not might take too well to traffic walkin across the deck. Got tired off Buffing & waxing just to be chalky again ina week. Gelcoat is more durable but more labor intensive to apply. Paint is usually shinier without all the cutting & buffing. IMHO. I grew up in a body shop....someone who works or specializes in boats would have better advice.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote