header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Props, Setups & Rigging
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Props, Setups & Rigging This is our Checkmate setup forum. Topics include props, jackplates and setback, trim tabs, steering etc. This is also the forum to share your best setup tips and top speed numbers. So come on in and exchange setup details with your fellow members.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
March 2020's Boat of the Month Vote!
I vote for "KevinR's" Pulsare!
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor!
I vote for "CheckmateFever's" Group Shot!
I vote for "TuGHiLLBoYs" Convincor Shot!
I vote for "Coop's" Starflite!
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator!
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 11-12-2003, 10:56 AM   #1
over board
Playmate

over board is on a distinguished road

I am running a 27 pitch hydro. Q-4 @ 5200 rpm. I have seen 78.5 mph on gps. I have been told that a bravo 1, 4 blade is a faster prop, I have tried several mirage's and a turbo they were 3 blades, but liked the quad 4 the best. Any opinions?
over board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:56 AM   #2
over board
Playmate

I am running a 27 pitch hydro. Q-4 @ 5200 rpm. I have seen 78.5 mph on gps. I have been told that a bravo 1, 4 blade is a faster prop, I have tried several mirage's and a turbo they were 3 blades, but liked the quad 4 the best. Any opinions?
Old 11-24-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Dave's ZT260
Commander

Dave's ZT260 will become famous soon enough

Some specs on the boat and motor would help. But generally speaking the hydromotive is very stable at high speeds 75+ but not as fast. Did the mirage make the boat unstable? It should run faster, but it could be a handful. Do you have hydraulic steering?

Scotty, I need more power!
Old 11-29-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
over board
Playmate

my motor is a 454 mag efi mp with a m1sc pro-charger running 6 lbs. of boost, on the gauge, also have inconel exhaust valves and fel-pro marine head gaskets and arp bolts. also a arizonia speed and marine extrude hoaned lower intake. My ecu was reprogramed @ persision marine in LA by Mark Booze. My rev lmiter is set to 5400.
You are right. The boat was a hand full with the mirage, compared to the Q-4. I plan to install ext steering this spring. Is the bravo 1 faster than the Q-4? witch one responds better to labbing? I saw on this site a guy with a 253 who lost 4 mph when he tried a Q-4 compared to his bravo 1 (running the same rpms.) If I go with a bravo-1 and have it labbed what pitch do you think I should use? I was thinking a 30.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:36 PM   #5
Dave's ZT260
Commander

Don't make any decisions until you install the full hydraulic steering system. Are you experiencing chine walk? I am assuming your running a 1.35 ratio in the outdrive given the specs you provided. The boat model would also be helpful. If you’re after top speed the mirage is the prop of choice, but you need to be able to control the boat before you can make that decision. I went though this same situation with a persuader running 80+mph. Now I’m running over 90mph in a ZT260 so I have already made and corrected all these mistakes. If you have a dyno reading on the engine that would also help. I'm figuring you must have at least 550+HP to be having this kind of handling trouble. How fast could you run the mirage before you had to back off? You will probably be running 28-30 pitch when your done but, don’t waste money on props just yet. With a little more testing I can help you pick the right prop.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:06 AM   #6
over board
Playmate

the boat in question is a 96 253 convincer. running a bravo 1 outdrive w/ 1.50 ratio. I also forgot to mention that I have gil exhaust on it.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:11 AM   #7
over board
Playmate

The boat really doesn't handle bad it's just where I boat we have ALOT of confused water and my wife freaks out if the moves around to much.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:53 PM   #8
Dave's ZT260
Commander

The GPS reading of 87.5 must have been a fluke. Unless you turn over 5200rpm, your top speed would be around 80mph. To get to 87mph you would have a prop slip of only 2 percent. (not really possible)

As far as speed is concerned, the mirage is the fastest then bravo then hydromotive. But the hydromotive is most stable followed by the bravo then mirage.

Put the steering on, try the mirage (without your wife) and see if it's stable enough for you. You will not believe the difference hydraulic steering makes. If it's still to wild for you, and you want more speed try a Bravo. If you like it, have it labbed.

Just be careful with the rpm. Once you know what a 27-pitch mirage turns we can select the correct prop.

I would also up your rev limiter to 5600rpm. At 5400 it might be cutting in at a bad time and giving you bad feedback. My motor turns 6000rpm and the rev limiter is at 6500rpm. Just watch the tach.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #9
Brian
Convincor

Brian is on a distinguished road

Overboard I would call the builder of the motor before I raised the rev limiter. Big blocks have alot of steel swinging in them, althought I don't know what you have completly done to it. As far as props go listen to ZT260 he know's what he's taking about, he's had a few checkmate's, he know's.
04\' H.O. Rude

\"...Always never the same...\"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:09 PM   #10
Dave's ZT260
Commander

I'm not saying he should overrev the motor. Just make sure the limiter is not hurting him. My rev limiter will begin to shut down the ignition one cylinder at a time before I hit the cut off. Just don’t go over 5200rpm on the tach. The limiter is just a precaution, if the drive breaks or you get out of the water, the motor doesn’t hit 7000rpm before you can back off.