header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Props, Setups & Rigging
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Props, Setups & Rigging This is our Checkmate setup forum. Topics include props, jackplates and setback, trim tabs, steering etc. This is also the forum to share your best setup tips and top speed numbers. So come on in and exchange setup details with your fellow members.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
November 2018's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator! 3 15%
I vote for "JupiterPulsare's" Starflite! 3 15%
I vote for "Chrisg82's" Enchanter Jet! 6 30%
I vote for "ekkick's" Convincor! 8 40%
Voters: 20 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 06-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
ckaluger
Convincor

ckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of light
Model Owned: 1999 Formula Fastech 312

As posted previously, I do have a 2007 250 ProXs, on a 1995 2100BR, and under warranty, the compressor and coils were replaced, but at the time Merc was on about their 3rd revision of the compressor and coils, so no problems since. I have been nothing but impressed with the engine, tons of torque and the fuel economy has been great, and with the oil reservoir and injection, you have to be mindful to check the tank, it uses so little oil compared to premix. I have the torque master gearcase and prefer the tempest plus props.

Best of luck!!

Chuck
ckaluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:38 AM   #12
flyboy
Wannabe

flyboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaluger View Post
As posted previously, I do have a 2007 250 ProXs, on a 1995 2100BR, and under warranty, the compressor and coils were replaced, but at the time Merc was on about their 3rd revision of the compressor and coils, so no problems since. I have been nothing but impressed with the engine, tons of torque and the fuel economy has been great, and with the oil reservoir and injection, you have to be mindful to check the tank, it uses so little oil compared to premix. I have the torque master gearcase and prefer the tempest plus props.
Was looking through the engine manual and it recommends a compressor air filter and fuel filter change every year. Sadly I did not pay attention to that in my last engine and it seriously ate itself last year. So, note to self ..... do some maintenance! It is way cheaper! Oh well 9 years without so much as any issue I suppose I should not complain.

Chuck
Thanks for the input. What pitch of Tempest plus do you have and how much setback are you running? I have a 26 pitch Tempest plus I bought as a water ski prop. That may be ok for my prop guy to work up as I’m told he can pitch it up + 2” pitch wise. I’m not sure till I try it this week. I think I’d rather keep it as a ski prop and have the prop guy tune the proper size ( hopefully 28 pitch) for best speed. I am hoping this new engine setup will hit 82 mph, we will see. How do you find the Tempest plus for handling at top speed? I am told that 3 blades are faster but more of a handful. I have never run any 3 blades my best prop was a 28 trophy which let go and is at the bottom of a lake! My last motor was old school the guy I bought it off of ripped the oil injection off and I ran 40:1 premix. I’m looking forward to sipping fuel and oil and not smoking so much. The mpg of this engine is outstanding at 4 mpg @ 3000rpm. I am looking forward to it.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #13
zstevens
Admiral

zstevens has a spectacular aura aboutzstevens has a spectacular aura about
Model Owned: 05'1850 Pulsare 150merc

Find / hire diver to go swimming for that trophy ! Ha
zstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
kushog
Enchanter

kushog will become famous soon enoughkushog will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: Pulsare 2100 br, 250 Vmax

Fwiw I have a Yamaha 0X66 250 on my 2100br currently running a slightly modded Solas Scorpion 27”, or a 30” Bravo 1, both run 85-86 solo, 83-83 with a couple passengers. 2” above pad 16” setback.
Don’t get stuck on running a trophy plus, lots of other wheels out there that work good. Bravo 1 is my current favourite, hoping to try a 31 or 32” soon.
kushog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:03 AM   #15
flyboy
Wannabe

flyboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushog View Post
Fwiw I have a Yamaha 0X66 250 on my 2100br currently running a slightly modded Solas Scorpion 27”, or a 30” Bravo 1, both run 85-86 solo, 83-83 with a couple passengers. 2” above pad 16” setback.
Don’t get stuck on running a trophy plus, lots of other wheels out there that work good. Bravo 1 is my current favourite, hoping to try a 31 or 32” soon.
Sadly I cooked my LU while testing a Labbed Bravo 1 30pitch ... it was too much prop
79 mph at 5500rpm. Kawartha prop is telling me the scorpion is the ticket. I'll try a 27 pitch as I know they run long. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get back on the water. What kind of LU are you running? I'm thinking of switching to a torquemaster but am worried about blowout at speeds approaching 85mph? I think my Titus coned fleetmaster is toast. oh well if you wanna play you gotta pay!
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #16
kushog
Enchanter

kushog will become famous soon enoughkushog will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: Pulsare 2100 br, 250 Vmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
Sadly I cooked my LU while testing a Labbed Bravo 1 30pitch ... it was too much prop
79 mph at 5500rpm. Kawartha prop is telling me the scorpion is the ticket. I'll try a 27 pitch as I know they run long. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get back on the water. What kind of LU are you running? I'm thinking of switching to a torquemaster but am worried about blowout at speeds approaching 85mph? I think my Titus coned fleetmaster is toast. oh well if you wanna play you gotta pay!
Hey well if your dealing with Kawartha propeller you must be local to me. Get that thing running and make it to the Muskoka Checkmate rally! I'm running a Yamaha HPDI lower unit modded for low(er) water pick up, 1:75 ratio. If you can't spin that 30" something is wrong, motor too low maybe or do you have 1:62 gears in it? I would absolutely be running a sportmaster if I were you, or at least a coned unit. I usually boat on Sturgeon and Pigeon lake, where you at?
kushog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #17
ForbesZ
Enchanter

ForbesZ will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: Pulsare 2000 BRX, 250 ProXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
my best prop was a 28 trophy which let go and is at the bottom of a lake!
I have a 28 trophy that I got from John at Kawartha propeller a couple years ago that I never use. I'd consider selling it if you're thinking about buying one. It's only had about an hour's use since I got it. It worked great on my 2000BRX/250ProXS, but the family is so much more interested in boating nowadays that I always have too many passengers to be running the 28. I've been using a 25 trophy which seems to be the best all around for what I do. It'll still get me into the mid 70's too.

Also I have been told that there's a Simon kit for the 3.0L opti 250 that makes it perform like a 300x if you're interested in more power & speed. A friend of mine put it on his opti 250/sportmaster and it pushed his SRV to 102 MPH. IIRC he said the Simon kit was $1200. Note that the SRV is a 20-ft v-pad boat - not talking about an STV tunnel. His was the yellow one in the Gloucester Pool area with kevlar & carbon fiber layup with the SRV letters done in clear gel coat so the carbon fiber cloth showed through. That was an extremely light boat though, so I am not suggesting that a 2100BR would break 100 with a 250XS and Simon kit. But I suspect it could push the 2100 BR somewhere around 90 with setup optimized.