header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Overhaulin' > Electrical, Audio & Rigging
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Electrical, Audio & Rigging This forum is for Electrical, Audio and rigging related topics. Topics include wiring, gauges and fuel tanks, rub rails as well as audio installations. Topics related to engine electronics and wiring should be placed in the appropriate powerplant forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
November 2018's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator! 3 15%
I vote for "JupiterPulsare's" Starflite! 3 15%
I vote for "Chrisg82's" Enchanter Jet! 6 30%
I vote for "ekkick's" Convincor! 8 40%
Voters: 20 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 11-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
PA-Checkmate
Persuader

PA-Checkmate will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 2002 Convincor 270 496-MAG-HO

Default Upgrading Smartcraft guages from analog

My current boat has analog gauges and engine(2002 496-HO) is Smartcraft. I would like to replace the tach and speedo(80mph) with added GPS for speedo. Can this be done and if so what do I all need. Would like to retain the other analog gauges such as temp, fuel, oil pressure, trim, etc. Want the tach and speedo with needle sweep... don't want digital. What are my options.

thanks

PA-Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:49 AM   #2
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,357 Times in 740 Posts
karzrus has a brilliant future
karzrus has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

I wanted to do the same thing with my outboard but getting a really good answer was difficult. I called and texted someone at Livorsi and still didn't know what all I needed to make it work.
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
PA-Checkmate
Persuader

PA-Checkmate will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 2002 Convincor 270 496-MAG-HO

I'm getting conflicting information from Mercury. Called and they said it's not a smartcraft system even though the transom assembly had a "smartcraft" tag! Does anyone know of a way to know? Rinda id's the PCM-555 when connected. Will call back next week....

PA-Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
ezstriper
Ambassador

ezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to behold
Model Owned: 253 convincor(sold) 251 convincor(sold) 21 Eliminator Daytona 25 Sportcraft CC 50 Gibson

early 2000's were the beginning of smartcraft and extremly incompatability between the ECM and the gauges(which are not all the same). I ran into this on my 2001 optimax O/B with had smartcraft gauges but faces were killed. I talked to merc many times, they told me what gauges I needed, no go, then sais I need a certain new wiring harness, bought that, no go, then they had me send my ECM back and they would reflash and all would be good..again no go, so after 2 months and $$$$$ I added analog gauges, made my own harness, I kept the smartcraft gauges under the dash to ck codes etc. So tread lightly on this as it is a royal pain to get the crap to talk to each other...