header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Non Checkmate Discussion Forums > Open Boating Forum
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Open Boating Forum This is an open forum for all boating topics non Checkmate related. If you want to discuss your Hydrostream, Allison, bassboat, tinboat, jetski etc., then this would be the forum for you. You can also use this forum for discussing anything generally boating related and also for posting boating related announcements or notices.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
November 2018's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator! 3 15%
I vote for "JupiterPulsare's" Starflite! 3 15%
I vote for "Chrisg82's" Enchanter Jet! 6 30%
I vote for "ekkick's" Convincor! 8 40%
Voters: 20 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 11-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
cincitrader
Jetmate

cincitrader is on a distinguished road

Default Winter storage

So Im close to finalizing a purchase on a boat (approx $7k - so not a huge investment) and wanted some input on storage. Im in the burbs with a 3-car but the 3rd is consumed with a jetski project. I assume Ill tinker on the boat during the winter but wondered how much harm I would do by putting a nice tarp over the boat (plus winterizing) and parking it outside vs storing indoors. Indoor storage is hr away at in-laws farm, so less tinkering and access. Indoor heated is preferred but more $ and distance than I might want to invest
cincitrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,296 Times in 977 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

Put boat, especially if it is a Checkmate, in the garage. Move significant other vehicle to driveway. Your truck , if you must (smile).
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:07 PM   #3
cincitrader
Jetmate

Jim - youre suggesting kicking my second wife (Dodge Durango R/T) out of the warm garage
Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,357 Times in 740 Posts
karzrus has a brilliant future
karzrus has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

If the boat is outside under a tarp it's likely you won't work on it. Do you get snow where you live? If it's under snow you won't work on it. Either in the garage if you plan to fix stuff or out at the In-laws if you can't /don't. In the Spring bring it home early to do the work and put it in the garage then.
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Jimway
Ambassador

Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute

I was really thinking about the first wifes car going out of the warm garage to the driveway, followed by the statement,"Look honey, I put your car right next to the door so that you don't have to worry about backing out of the garage anymores and can just conveniently drive away". If you are met with a smile and twinkling eyes, you're in, so to speak. If you are met by a head tilted to one side, folded arms, and narrowed eyes, you may have to regroup quickly. Your truck outside only as a last resort. Might be able to park the jet ski next to the tongue of the boat trailer? If you can still see the floor of the garage you may find plenty of room. If you can't see the floor of the garage, you may be in trouble already. A tiny path from the man door to the garage door doesn't count. Around here it is so wet and damp that everything left outside begins to draw moisture and also immediately becomes a target for marauding bugs, birds with accurate bombing techniques, and evil trees that throw limbs, leaves or needles down every time the wind blows. I wont even mention the possums and raccoons. If there is sufficient space above one of those vehicles inside the garage, what about one of those nifty vehicle lifts? In a similar vein, one of those enclosed cargo trailers with a ramp can hold a lot of 'stuff'. Get one big enough and you may roll the jet ski right on up in there. The bonus is that you can use the trailer for various other schemes and you are not throwing away rent money as the trailer will hold it's value as long as you don't let anyone knock holes in it or stuff like that. One of those toy haulers will look great in the driveway, also has a ramp in the back, will hold a lot of merchandise, and draw admiring glances and even stares from neighbors, friends, and acquaintances, and might even come in handy when one of your schemes goes a little too far every once in a while, bringing comfort and warmth to the phrase "Looks like someone is spending the night in the driveway".
Old 11-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
cincitrader
Jetmate

A+ response - informative and entertaining!

Sadly my garage has lower ceilings or I agree, with those lifts I could have a 4/5/6-car in the space of my 3. I'll see what heated space around me costs worst case I'll squeeze the cheapo jetski out. It's on a cart so I can roll it in/out and really has nothing in it while I rebuild the motor, etc
The Following User Says Thank You to cincitrader For This Useful Post:
Jimway (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Jimway
Ambassador

A+ answers, it's what we do around here.
On a sleightly more diabolical note (especially if the neighbors abhor blue tarps), and on a temporary basis, one could stretch a blue tarp attached to the board under the gutter above the third car door and run it out and down to some concrete stakes to create both a nice dry space underneath and impassioned neighbors. For an added touch, one can form a winking happy face, with duct tape, on the exposed portion of the blue tarp....
Old 11-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
1954bmw
Trimate

1954bmw will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 1971 MX15w 115-135 Frankenmerc, 16.6 Sea Ray, 2- 18.6 Sea Rays, 3888 Bayliner, 1973 MX14w 50 merc

What size boat and will it even fit in your garage, and more details on the Durango, what year, motor, mileage, color??????
1954bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #9
cincitrader
Jetmate

Hey almost-neighbor

Pulse 210, so 21'...think it will be tight due to my workbench and other junk in the garage

Durango is 2014 Durango R/T hemi, grey, 52k, suitcase muffler removed (for sound)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
merc245
Senator

Thanked 1,732 Times in 777 Posts
merc245 has a reputation beyond repute
merc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond reputemerc245 has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 89 sportfire, 92 starflite, 00 24ZT

Speaking of blue tarps and neighbors, I live in a sub with 60 ft lots, had the starflite up on concrete blocks on the driveway with the trailer stripped to bare metal, half in & half out of the garage. Come Saturday I go start painting the trailer and damn if it don’t start to drizzle. So I find a huge old blue tarp and tent from the garage out and down the driveway. Get it set up, looks like it’s going to work and get started spray painting the trailer. About 2 hrs into the job, my very next door neighbor held his open house, I’m sure I was sworn at several times that day. It only took them 4 yrs to unload the home.
merc245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to merc245 For This Useful Post:
Jimway (11-12-2018)