header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Play To Win!!
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Play To Win!! This is the general Checkmate discussion forum. Come on in and tell us all about your boat! If your topic doesn't fit into our other Checkmate related topics, then this is the place to put it!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
2018's Boat of the Year Vote!
January 2018!
February 2018!
March 2018!
April 2018!
May 2018!
June 2018!
July 2018!
August 2018!
September 2018!
October 2018!
November 2018!
December 2018!
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 09-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Sam I am
Ambassador

Thanked 2,129 Times in 879 Posts
Sam I am has a reputation beyond repute
Sam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 89 Starliner w/ G2 250HO

Default Starliner & G2 Update

Good morning, Sports fans...here's an end of season update on the Starliner and Evinrude 250HO G2.

In short, the boat has been a pleasure. It's a beauty of a boat that looks really fast even on the lift and also get's lots of compliments from everyone, including small children, which can be hilarious.

Kid: "Can we go for a ride in the blue boat?!? I'll bet it goes 500 mph!!!"
Me: " Absolutely we're going for a ride in the blue boat, and goes close to 600 mph..."
Kid: "Really?!?!?!"
Me: "Yup."

The best part has been the ease in which it handles lots of folks. I routinely take 8 folks out tubing...3 on the tube, me, a spotter, and 3 more kids in the bow who are constantly asking if it's their turn yet. No worries on the pestering, I just crank up the tunes. Which leads me to the other best part of the boat: the stereo. I upgraded and went with 6 speakers and a sub in the boat and I have to say, it was worth every penny. I've had stereos before, but they were always kind of weak. This one pumps. The second battery has never had to be utilized as we are rarely anchored or beached with the radio on.

The gel has held up pretty good on the top side. It made it two whole seasons before my black lab decided to jump on the front of the boat and scratch it. Of course it was waxed so his feet shot out from under him which he tried to stop by digging in...the results are what one would expect. My reaction was what one would expect: he got picked up by the scruff of his neck and backside and launched. He ate some sand on impact with the beach and stayed away from me for awhile, but we're buddies again. There are a couple of stress cracks coming through in one spot, but hey, it's an 89. There are also some thin spots in the gel around some of the outside bends in the hull lines, but it is what it is. On the bottom of the hull there are some obvious flaws in the gel work...which I attribute to the wait, wait, now hurry up and get it done op tempo when it went in. It is what it is, and I can't see em' but I was pretty disappointed when I found them. If you remember, they lost Kenny in the middle of this project...so, that does explain a lot regarding the gel work.

The interior is wonderful. Super comfy and really pleasing to the eye. Also, it cleans up really well. The new style captains chairs are absolutely the best decision for comfort and long days in the seat.

The Evinrude has been great. BUT...I lost the lower unit about a week ago. I believe it was failing gradually as I got two over temp alarms when I was really loaded up with folks and pulling a tube. I was really confused by that as water pressure was always rock solid. On the second one, I slowed down to idle, and I could here the motor was having trouble idling. I went to neutral and it purred again. Went back into forward and it sounded like there were marbles in the motor. Great. So, I limped back to the lift and parked it. Turned out the LU let loose. So, I'm getting a new one and thankfully it's all under warranty. Looks like a bearing let loose and tried to shoot some mechanicals out the side of the housing. I'm trying to get my warranty extended...we'll see how that pans out. All in all though, the G2 has been an awesome motor. Super strong and great on fuel. I was hoping for more top end, but mid to upper 70's is good enough. I was hoping for 80+, and who knows, maybe it's there, but I don't have enough lake to find out. There ya go...updated.
2006 Pulsare 2000BR w/ 2006 225 Pro XS
2008 Pulsare 2000BR w/ 2008 150 Optimax
1989 Starliner W/ 200 hp Merc...Project Boat.
Current Boat:
1989 Starliner W/ 2015 Evinrude G2 250HO
Sam I am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sam I am For This Useful Post:
Chellems (10-09-2018), corey331 (10-16-2018), DropTop5.0 (09-10-2018), Gimme Fuel (09-10-2018), Hack (09-09-2018), Instigator (10-20-2018), john lamon (09-11-2018), JUPITER PULSARE (09-09-2018), JW (09-09-2018), karzrus (09-09-2018), Mark (09-10-2018), SCT (09-09-2018), zstevens (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
DropTop5.0
Senator

Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,436 Posts
DropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond repute
DropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: '85 Convincor twin 200's

Thanks Sam, I was wondering how that G2 was performing.
Sam I am (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
Mark
Diplomat

Mark is a name known to allMark is a name known to allMark is a name known to allMark is a name known to allMark is a name known to allMark is a name known to all
Model Owned: 1985 Diplomat 130 Yamaha w/6" setback 1986 Starliner 250 Etec w/8" setback

Thanks for the update Sam

I got low 70's with my 250 G1. I was expecting more as well but in the end it is just bragging rights as that is not how most of us use our boat. I loved my Starliner too and miss it. Still probably my favorite boat and I have had 20 different hulls. And never had a lick of trouble with the Etec.

A new restored Starliner showed up on our lake with a 300 Merc this summer. Never had a chance to talk to the guy as all I saw was roostertail. Glad guys like you are preserving these classic hulls.

Enjoy!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:
Sam I am (09-10-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
Sam I am
Ambassador

Thanked 2,129 Times in 879 Posts
Sam I am has a reputation beyond repute
Sam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond reputeSam I am has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 89 Starliner w/ G2 250HO

Default Update: Good news bad news

So, the good news is I'm rocking a brand new LU all covered by warranty. Now for the bad news:

My two main ICON gauges (Tach & GPS Speedo) have always functioned correctly regarding the RPM and Speed. However, the accessories within those gauges have always been a little kitty wompus. The fuel gauge is all over the place, the oil level confused (empty when full and other erroneous levels), never displays any faults even when I had a temp alarm before the LU failure, and just generally never functioned as advertised. So, when I took it in this year, I had them trouble shoot the gauges. Turns out...they're the incorrect gauges for the G2. Which is a real bummer because the correct gauges are an even $1K install after all the trouble shooting. I don't even have anyone to blame except for myself since I specified the part numbers to be ordered and the dealer ordered what I specified. Shoot. It's just money right?
2006 Pulsare 2000BR w/ 2006 225 Pro XS
2008 Pulsare 2000BR w/ 2008 150 Optimax
1989 Starliner W/ 200 hp Merc...Project Boat.
Current Boat:
1989 Starliner W/ 2015 Evinrude G2 250HO
Sam I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Hack
Enforcer

Hack is just really niceHack is just really niceHack is just really niceHack is just really niceHack is just really nice
Model Owned: 1995 Persuader 219 7.4L (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I am View Post
I don't even have anyone to blame except for myself since I specified the part numbers to be ordered and the dealer ordered what I specified. Shoot. It's just money right?
Been there. Frustrating.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
Instigator
Enforcer

Instigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to all
Model Owned: '86 Convincor I/O being converted to twin O/B

Glad its kinda, coming together for you.

When you are the first to delve into the new technology, sometimes you pay.
Sucks.

The good is even though the 300 and 250 HO are the same powerheads, the HO has the better ECU.

The new owner of my Starliner didnt have any better luck.
I was geeked when he told me he was hanging a V-8 OMC on it.
It was an internet purchase and lasted 5 mls before popping!

He then, like you, dug deep and ordered one of the last 300 xs Mercs in the country.
Talked to him yesterday and it has run a best of 68.
To say he is bummed would be an understatement.

In his case I think his motor is still in break in mode even though he says there isnt one.

I feel for both of you.

Dont give up on the e-tec, find a better expert for guidance.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
ckaluger
Convincor

ckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of lightckaluger is a glorious beacon of light
Model Owned: 1999 Formula Fastech 312

Something definitely going on with the 300xs, the Starliner I had ran 78 with my 07 250 ProXs.

Chuck
ckaluger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ckaluger For This Useful Post:
Instigator (12-03-2018)