header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Non Checkmate Discussion Forums > Vintage Boating > Vintage Wood Boats
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Vintage Wood Boats This is our forum dedicated to the discussion of vintage wood boats. Topics include general discussion, maintenance & repair as well as manufacturer and model discussion.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
April 2020's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "KevinR's" Pulsare! 3 18%
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 7 41%
I vote for "CheckmateFever's" Group Shot! 1 6%
I vote for "TuGHiLLBoYs" Convincor Shot! 3 18%
I vote for "Coop's" Starflite! 3 18%
Voters: 17 100%
Replies (14)
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 06-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Blue Mist '97
Convincor

Blue Mist '97 has a spectacular aura aboutBlue Mist '97 has a spectacular aura aboutBlue Mist '97 has a spectacular aura about
Model Owned: Persuader 261 (Sold), Hallett 270S

Default I Have Something In My Eyes..

It has come down to this. I have a potential/probable buyer for my old wood boat. The buyers are coming down from Dallas this weekend to look at it. They have put down deposit money without even seeing the boat in person, so they are more than just tire kickers. I am having mixed emotions about this.

On one hand, this is my baby. I spent many, many hours, after work till wee hours of the morning, all day on the weekends for over a year, stripping, cleaning, sanding, taping, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, varnishing, (did I mention) more sanding, more varnishing, chasing down new chrome fittings and having other old fittings re-chromed, sealing new found leaks, etc. Not to mention, rebuilding the old, existing trailer with many new parts to make it roadworthy again in my spare time. Installation of the 115 Etec put this restoration over the top for me. There is plenty of power and reliability for a 51 year old boat.

Now on the other hand, selling this boat could be a god send. NO MORE hours and hours of stripping, cleaning, sanding, taping, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, varnishing, (did I mention) more sanding, more varnishing, chasing down new chrome fittings and having other old fittings re-chromed, sealing new found leaks, etc. It will save me a lot of time and energy, not to mention $1100 a year in boat storage fees. It will give me more time to work exclusively on the Checkmate.

We are, again, supposed to have more bad weather this weekend, so I may get a one week reprieve before I have to make a decision. I doubt they will drive 4 hours in rain to look at a boat, but I am game if they are.

It’s Saturday and the potential buyers showed up. I took them for a little spin in the boat and they were happy as clams. They told me that they were ready to do a deal. No questions, no arguments, no negotiations. They handed me CASH money, so I said "Hook it up" and gave them the titles and the new state paperwork. Done Deal!!!!! Bye Bye Baby!!!

The realization that my baby was leaving behind somebody else’s vehicle finally hit me as I watched them driving away. I was filled with lots of different emotions and I kept rubbing my eyes. My wife asked me what was wrong. I told her that I must have something in my eyes, must be from the wind. As usual, she brought me back to reality. She said, “Here, this will make you feel better, just wipe your eyes with one of these $100 bills.” As usual, she was right. I laughed. It must have helped, cause I do feel better now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150613_135004.jpg (77.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 20150613_135634.jpg (113.6 KB, 58 views)
Blue Mist '97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blue Mist '97 For This Useful Post:
dream4ta (06-14-2015), DropTop5.0 (06-13-2015), JT Patroni (06-15-2015), JW (06-13-2015), Kurtster (06-14-2015), nathan (06-14-2015), Problem Child (06-13-2015), Rob B (06-14-2015), sim (06-15-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
sim
Senator

Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,459 Posts
sim has a reputation beyond reputesim has a reputation beyond repute
sim has a reputation beyond reputesim has a reputation beyond reputesim has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 89 Predictor 115 Merc(sold), " 87 Starliner-225 Merc(sold) , 92 230 Enforcer - 454 mag

Congratulations! And sorry to hear of your loss.
What are you going to do with all that free time now that you're
not doing all that sanding, varnishing and polishing?
You're gonna have to get a life.
This could be very good. Or very bad.
Report back.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sim For This Useful Post:
Blue Mist '97 (06-14-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
DropTop5.0
Senator

Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,436 Posts
DropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond repute
DropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond reputeDropTop5.0 has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: '85 Convincor twin 200's

Lol, sorry for your loss. I'll donate my boat if you need some polishing to fill your void. Seriously though, congratulations on your sale. It sounds like it went to a good home.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Kurtster
Diplomat

Thanked 2,942 Times in 994 Posts
Kurtster has a reputation beyond repute
Kurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond reputeKurtster has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 1988 Vision 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Mist '97 View Post
She said, “Here, this will make you feel better, just wipe your eyes with one of these $100 bills.” As usual, she was right. I laughed. It must have helped, cause I do feel better now.
Our woman seem to have a way of being right more often than not -- especially about money and practicality --Dam' them..........
Well that's why they're the boss I guess.

To tell you the truth Pat, I kinda got a little teary eyed reading about you selling the woody --- but when you hop in the Checkmate, open her up, make some noise, you know you'll feel just fine.

Congrats Pat on the sale

Kurt
Kurtster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurtster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
nathan
Senator

Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,079 Posts
nathan has a reputation beyond repute
nathan has a reputation beyond reputenathan has a reputation beyond reputenathan has a reputation beyond reputenathan has a reputation beyond reputenathan has a reputation beyond reputenathan has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 1977 p-24 pontoon, 1975 skeeter hawk

congrats on the sale. looks like the new owner has the money to take care of her.

current boats:
Doesn't matter as it is not a checkmate

only past boat that matters:
1978 convincer (23outlaw's beautiful boat)
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nathan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Blue Mist '97
Convincor

Blue Mist '97 has a spectacular aura aboutBlue Mist '97 has a spectacular aura aboutBlue Mist '97 has a spectacular aura about
Model Owned: Persuader 261 (Sold), Hallett 270S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtster View Post
Our woman seem to have a way of being right more often than not -- especially about money and practicality --Dam' them..........
Well that's why they're the boss I guess.

To tell you the truth Pat, I kinda got a little teary eyed reading about you selling the woody --- but when you hop in the Checkmate, open her up, make some noise, you know you'll feel just fine.

Congrats Pat on the sale

Kurt
Yep, you are exactly right.

Now that sounds like the right thing to do. In fact, I think I will do that next Friday. Haven't been out much in the Check this year, so now I should have more time to do just that.
Blue Mist '97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
corey331
Diplomat

Thanked 2,202 Times in 857 Posts
corey331 has a reputation beyond repute
corey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond reputecorey331 has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 88 Starflite, 98 253 Convincor LSX

It wasn't an old woody, but I felt the exact same way when I sold my Starflite I restored. She was my first boat and my wife and I had a lot of blood sweat and tears into her. And I to "got something in my eye from the wind" when I watched her pull away hooked to somebody else's truck. But, luckily, I had my Convincor setting in my boat barn at the lake, and headed straight down there for some therapy.

And like Droptop said, if you ever get a hankering for polishing that you just cant satisfy, I'll be more than happy to lend you my Checkmate to fill the void!!!
corey331 is offline   Reply With Quote