header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Props, Setups & Rigging
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Props, Setups & Rigging This is our Checkmate setup forum. Topics include props, jackplates and setback, trim tabs, steering etc. This is also the forum to share your best setup tips and top speed numbers. So come on in and exchange setup details with your fellow members.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
July 2019's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 3 21%
I vote for "senator-holland's" Convincor! 1 7%
I vote for "Stuart Enchanter's" Bow Shot! 4 29%
I vote for "Checkmate Fever's" Dock Shot! 3 21%
I vote for "ChuckB's" Checkmate group shot! 3 21%
Voters: 14 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
jeffyham
Wannabe

jeffyham is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: 1988 Starflite

I have a 25P Trophy + on my 1988 Starflite with 10" setback, a 1987 200hp Black Max, etc. I am getting 66mph at 5700 rpm on GPS. Does anyone think I could do better with a 24P Fury? I have a chance to get one...
jeffyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #22
nastybug
Trimate

nastybug is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: 2011 pulsare 2100 LD. Merc 250 proxs

Hey Jeffy, Bug here. I read a thread where a guy with a 21 pulsare w/ 250 xs merc was running 77. something with a trophy26 inch prop. He tried a 26 fury and ran 80 and ran out of lake. Thought he could go faster. I have a 2100 pulsare LD 250 proxs 15 in setback run a 27 fury 1.5 inches below pad. Jumps on plane very easily. Had 5 people in boat one day full tank with about 740 lbs in the back seat. Got on plane no cavitation. Loads of bowlift. Ive never run a tempest or a trophy to compare but this fury is awesome. Bug.
nastybug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nastybug For This Useful Post:
jeffyham (08-22-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #23
Mark
Diplomat

Mark is a name known to allMark is a name known to allMark is a name known to allMark is a name known to allMark is a name known to allMark is a name known to all
Model Owned: 1985 Diplomat 130 Yamaha w/6" setback 1986 Starliner 250 Etec w/8" setback

Fury is a great prop but is hit and miss with different setups. I would try before you buy. Some guys get more speed, some get less. I have a 25 Fury I run on my 250 Etec/Starliner. It runs about the same top end as a 26 Trophy but it feels like the boat runs flatter. (less bow lift). It's still a keeper.
I get more bow lift from my Rev4 and a couple of MPH as well. (The Rev4 needs big horsepower to turn) Fury also runs better 1/2" deeper.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:
jeffyham (08-22-2011)
Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #24
at100plus
Jetmate

at100plus is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: '89 Starflite / 92 Merc 200

I have had my Starflite for 2 years. I slapped a stock good running 1992 200 Merc on it when I got it and used the prop that came with the boat which I think is a Mirage 23 pitch 3 blade through hub. It has 8" Detweiler hydraulic setback. Best I've seen is 65 with the wind with me and another 200 lb. friend on board.

I often wonder why no one seems to talk about choppers on these boats. I would think a nicely worked thinned DAH chopper with some emphasis on bow lift would do wonders as it has on many of my previous boats.

I just removed my cushions and dug out as much of the foam as I could remarkably the foam was very dry except for about a 10 square inch area at the very bottom near the aft bulkhead, which might have been due to me parking it bow down hill a few weeks ago and a big rain storm hit that night.

I'm about to add 2 more inches of setback and try a 24 chopper worked by DAH. I'll report back when I have time to test. Over the winter I plan to do the reeds, tighter heads and look for some 225 carbs too. The Starflite has been a good family boat that I don't have to worry about. Doing some setup just makes me more interested in it.
at100plus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to at100plus For This Useful Post:
berto (09-20-2012), paulsboats (09-20-2012), Rob B (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
jeffyham
Wannabe

jeffyham is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: 1988 Starflite

Default starfliteprop update

after putting the 25 trophy on the boat and reporting on the above performance last summer, things went downhill this past summer. i have lost both rpm and top speed with the 25 trophy. hole shots were sluggish, top end o gps went to 61
revs have been line the 5400 ish range. inn addition, with the engine and trim up to get the revs up i would get a he'll of a scare when the back of the boat would break loose and kick hard to the left .

i went back to a 21 thru hub 3 blade chopper can get 60 at 6000 rpm with a stable ride and no ugly kick. either the motor is in need of some love, of which it has had 4 grand worth inn the past three years, water in Wi is thicker than ME, my boat gained weight , or the gaps transfer installed is affecting me at top end. truly a mystery. maybe a shift to 91 octane is due. dunno...this summer and last are quite different
jeffyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #26
at100plus
Jetmate

Everyone always said thru hub Trophy would be better when I had a 21 Superboat too, but the best speed and all around handling, planing came from a DAH worked Chopper (over hub). I have never heard of a thru hub Chopper. I currently have and have been running what I think is an older 23 Mirage thru hub and I have seen 65, it planes great hanldes well, but doesnt carry the bow that well. My boat was John Tiger's boat which was a feature resto in Hot Boat Mag circa 2000. John said best he saw was 72 with 225 Pro Max but he didnt try any worked choppers. DAH will thin the blades and cup for bow lift so lets see how it works.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #27
illMATTic
Senator

illMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud ofillMATTic has much to be proud of
Model Owned: '78 Predictor, '88 Starflite, '98 Convincor 220 (current)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyham View Post
after putting the 25 trophy on the boat and reporting on the above performance last summer, things went downhill this past summer. i have lost both rpm and top speed with the 25 trophy. hole shots were sluggish, top end o gps went to 61
revs have been line the 5400 ish range. inn addition, with the engine and trim up to get the revs up i would get a he'll of a scare when the back of the boat would break loose and kick hard to the left .

i went back to a 21 thru hub 3 blade chopper can get 60 at 6000 rpm with a stable ride and no ugly kick. either the motor is in need of some love, of which it has had 4 grand worth inn the past three years, water in Wi is thicker than ME, my boat gained weight , or the gaps transfer installed is affecting me at top end. truly a mystery. maybe a shift to 91 octane is due. dunno...this summer and last are quite different
What is gaps transfer?

illMATTic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illMATTic For This Useful Post:
paulsboats (09-20-2012), Rob B (09-21-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #28
at100plus
Jetmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by at100plus View Post
Everyone always said thru hub Trophy would be better when I had a 21 Superboat too, but the best speed and all around handling, planing came from a DAH worked Chopper (over hub). I have never heard of a thru hub Chopper. I currently have and have been running what I think is an older 23 Mirage thru hub and I have seen 65, it planes great hanldes well, but doesnt carry the bow that well. My boat was John Tiger's boat which was a feature resto in Hot Boat Mag circa 2000. John said best he saw was 72 with 225 Pro Max but he didnt try any worked choppers. DAH will thin the blades and cup for bow lift so lets see how it works.

I gave the numbers to DAH that were stamped on my thru hub ( which I thought was a Mirage), DAH says it is a Yamaha Pro series which he says is a great prop, and it does run well on my Starflite, the prop looks stock too, so if the Chopper doesn't work well I might send this Yamaha pro out to DAH for thinning and cupping.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
at100plus
Jetmate

Ok finally ran my DAH 24 Chopper. I sent it to him, told him to tweak it down closer to a 23 and give me cupping for bow lift. It is PERFECT.

I added 2" of setback for a total of 15, and the DAH Chopper spun right up to 65 MPH at 6100 RPMs with me and my 8 year old son and a full tank and tools, two anchors, lots of gear. I also removed all the foam from the bow but only the very bottom foam was wet at all. I ran the rest of the day at the CT River Run with myself (185 lbs, my dad approx 240 lbs and another 200+ lb friend and it did 60 easy. As fuel lightened up and my friend got on another boat it was doing 62 to 64. With this prop I was able to jack more (hydraulic jack), and the boat just felt so much more agile riding higher, took the chop better cause less boat was in the water, landings were better cause it was landing more aft, and just all around BIG improvement over my Yamaha Pro Series thru hub 23. Only thing the Yamaha thru hub did better is plane off but as long as my heavyweight back seat passengers leaned forward a bit for planing it wasn't bad and well worth the bottom loss for the rest of the gains. FYI this is a bone stock good running Merc 2.5 200 with stock V6 lower unit! I bet I could pull 70 out of this prop light on fuel driver only and the right conditions and it's probably a 68 MPH prop all day with just driver.
The Following User Says Thank You to at100plus For This Useful Post:
atc250r (10-23-2012)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #30
MateFever
Convincor

MateFever will become famous soon enoughMateFever will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 82 Predictor 150 Merc. Black Max; 88 Starflite 225 Merc. Opti

I'm going to bring this to the top and announce that Mark is absolutely 100% right about the powertech tro4. I searched and searched for an idea on the right prop and after re reading this thread lucked out and was able to snatch one from jross. Yesterday was the first time I've had the boat out since I bought it and I was beyond amazed at the difference. The holeshot was better than my hi five, it lifted the hull out of the water like I've never felt since I bought the boat and man did it have the speed. I was able to raise up my jack plate without losing water pressure or losing the carry of the hull. Anyone with this hull needs to try this prop. THANK YOU MARK!!!!!!!!!! And thanks to jross for a great prop!