header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Props, Setups & Rigging
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Props, Setups & Rigging This is our Checkmate setup forum. Topics include props, jackplates and setback, trim tabs, steering etc. This is also the forum to share your best setup tips and top speed numbers. So come on in and exchange setup details with your fellow members.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
2018's Boat of the Year Vote!
January 2018!
February 2018!
March 2018!
April 2018!
May 2018!
June 2018!
July 2018!
August 2018!
September 2018!
October 2018!
November 2018!
December 2018!
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 12-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #1
TMR
Wannabe

TMR is on a distinguished road

Default Jack Plate Height

Hello, I have been a member of this forum for about 3 months. This is my first post. I have been doing a lot of reading and have found many informative posts.

I purchased a used Pulsare 2100 BR late last summer with a 225EFI Mercury 2 stroke. I have some boating and outboard motor experience but I am new to performance boating.

The boat in the attached picture is not mine but appears to be similar to mine. I got the picture from another thread on the forum. I have the same 5 1/2 CMC manual jack plate. I am running a 23 pitch Trophy Plus prop with large diameter PVS plugs. My boat seems to get on plane well and handle pretty well also going straight and in turns. Tops out at 63mph on speedometer at 5600rpm. Wish I would have taken my GPS with the one and only time we got out in the boat this year. Many rainy weekends prevented me from getting out more.

My question is: my motor is sitting about 3 lower on the jack plate than the one in the picture. Do I need a different water pickup to put my motor all the way up on the jackplate? and will that setup only be good for top speed? I would like to get into the 70plus mph range but still be able to ski and tube.

Any recommendations and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
TMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,358 Times in 741 Posts
karzrus has a brilliant future
karzrus has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

Do you have a water pressure gauge? If you do you will be able to tell if raising the motor is causing an issue.

I have the 10” CMC jackplate and my 250xs has a regular torquemaster lower.
It is set up so that the propshaft centerline is even with the bottom of the pad at full lift. I do not have any of the side water pickup holes plugged and do not have low water pressure issues with the motor up at full lift at any speed.

The jackplate has plenty of movement down to get the motor where it needs to be for tubing and such, in fact I rarely lower the motor all the way down as the boat pulls things better with it about 1/3 up from the bottom so with the propshaft about 3.5” down from the pad.

You could add a 5-10” static setback bracket in front of your current one and raise the motor up those 3” and gain quite allot of speed without sacrificing much at all regarding pulling toys.

Raising the motor is going to reduce drag and get the motor up to the 6-6200rpm range. But also you will likely need more propeller pitch, a 25-26 trophy plus would be a good starting point, however you can wait to purchase that last, once you run out of rpms and know you need it
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
TMR
Wannabe

TMR is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the information and advice karzrus.

I do not have a water pressure gauge, only a temperature gauge. The previous owner had a hydraulic jack plate on the boat but it failed so he replaced it with a manual jack plate. I’m starting to think I should spend the money on a hydraulic jack plate and be done with it. My boat already has the gauge mounted on the dash along with toggle switch to control the movement of the hydraulic jack plate. There are several brands that look decent and are priced very similarly. I was thinking of going with a 10” setback.

Is there a brand of hydraulic jack plate that I should stay away from?
TMR is online now   Reply With Quote