header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Member Introductions
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Member Introductions Are you new to the forum? Perhaps you've been a member for a while but just never posted on the forums. Whatever the case, why not drop in to our Member Introductions forum, introduce youself, and say hello!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
October 2019's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 2 9%
I vote for "senator-holland's" Convincor! 0 0%
I vote for "KevinR's" Pulsare! 0 0%
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 0 0%
I vote for "sim's" Enforcer! 20 91%
Voters: 22 100%
Replies (11)
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 09-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Matukat
Wannabe

Matukat is on a distinguished road

Angry Old guy with an older Trimate and a bad repair shop.

Hello all,
I don't think I ever introduced myself here, so here's a go at it. I'm retired disabled as is my wife. We live in Pueblo West, CO. just 5 miles from Lake Pueblo, a huge reservoir and recreational water site.
In December of last year we purchased a late 70s Checkmate Trimate. Not sure of any more on which model. We took it to Affordable Marine Repair in Pueblo West for the needed repairs- needed an ignition replaced a prop, a starter. and, according to the estimate, control cables, and other minor things. The shop told me they'd get to it after the holidays. The estimate was for 1,625.00. The shop kept the boat and about 3 months later, after more excuses for delays they took a 500.00 deposit.
Fast forward- After giving me multiple excuses for why they hadn't repaired the boat, in LATE AUGUST of this year. I got the owner on the phone and he tried to put the onus back on me! When he took the boat in for repair he stated that Checkmates were "Good running boats". On the phone, after keeping the boat and the deposit all that time he states "Someone should have been ashamed to bring in a boat in that condition."
I contacted an attorney and they sent a letter demanding that the shop perform the repairs as they had contracted to do. After receiving the letter the shop demanded I go pick up my boat! NO REPAIRS. I picked up the boat and the deposit. On the advice of the attorney I have filed a small claims case on the shop and will be in court with the owners next month.
If you need any repairs in Pueblo West, STAY AWAY FROM AFFORDABLE MARINE REPAIR!!!!
We have since found a mobile mechanic that gave an estimate of only 800.00 at the most. Unfortunately, he is slow to get parts, so we are waiting again.
Neither of us are in great health, mine is better than my wife's, but I can't help but feel that Affordable Marine Repair in Pueblo West STOLE our ENTIRE SEASON of fishing and boating.
If I can figure it out I will post pics of the boat. I think we got a good deal on it but getting on the water has been hell. :-(
Matukat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,407 Times in 779 Posts
karzrus has a brilliant future
karzrus has a brilliant futurekarzrus has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

Welcome to the.forum, if you got the boat and all your deposit back you are better off than a numbers guys, sadly many of us have lost a season or more when trying to get a shop to do work for us.
So now you’re in the club.
Hopefully you have better success this time!
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karzrus For This Useful Post:
Matukat (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 01:25 AM   #3
Matukat
Wannabe

Default Thanks Karzrus.

Thanks man. It's just darned sad that the mechanics are THAT bad. I'll see the owners in court next month and hopefully the judge won't be someone he's buddies with at the marina! :-( ARRRGH. People ought to go after these guys when they do this type of thing. I guess they get to feeling immune. They aren't, they're just entitled. arrogant, and abusive. What a lousy way to do business.
New guy is supposed to be coming with the starter Thursday. :-) Here's hoping!

Old 09-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #4
mishawakajim
Enforcer

mishawakajim is a jewel in the roughmishawakajim is a jewel in the roughmishawakajim is a jewel in the roughmishawakajim is a jewel in the rough
Model Owned: 1986 Checkmate Eluder

Welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear you started off with such a bad experience. Hope everything works out this time so you can get out and enjoy your Boat. Jim
mishawakajim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mishawakajim For This Useful Post:
Matukat (09-26-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
Matukat
Wannabe

Default No spanking for the bad repair shop. :-( A null result.

I filed a small claims case against the shop. The shop filed a bogus counter claim 30 days after receiving service of the case. Actually claimed that WE owed HIM 1100.00 and some dollars for CLEANING the boat and some other supposed lost monies. ( He tried to claim wage losses for going to court with his shop manager, himself, and his wife. ) I am disappointed to report that the judge ruled against us because we couldn't show monetary damages from the shop's negligence. :-(
The judge also dismissed the bogus claim from the shop for any monies or work they claimed had been performed.
So, the judge had no way to find for our being abused by the business by their putting off the work for nearly 9 months, but she also saw that the shops claim was nothing but retaliation for us filing a claim on them. :-(
All I can hope is that the owner of Affordable Marine Repair LLC had some kind of reality check. Still very disappointed.
"The Law is an ASS." - ??? Anyone know who it should be attributed to?

We lost, they lost. Sadly, the win mark went in their column. :-( Still, if someone else goes after them for the same negligence, maybe the record of this case will help another victim of the shop to prevail against this bad business.
ATB. Still have my boat and someone IS working on it. :-(
Old 10-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
PA-Checkmate
Persuader

PA-Checkmate will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 2002 Convincor 270 496-MAG-HO

If U google Affordable Marine Repair LLC there should be a link to give google review.

PA-Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PA-Checkmate For This Useful Post:
Matukat (10-20-2019)