header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Member Introductions
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Member Introductions Are you new to the forum? Perhaps you've been a member for a while but just never posted on the forums. Whatever the case, why not drop in to our Member Introductions forum, introduce youself, and say hello!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
September 2018's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Horseplay's" Convincor 300! 6 46%
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator! 0 0%
I vote for "Jupiter Pulsare's" Starflite! 3 23%
I vote for "Chrisg82's Enchanter Jet! 3 23%
I vote for "knarloid's" group shot! 1 8%
Voters: 13 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 08-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Zsmith
Wannabe

Zsmith is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: Strobe 201

Default New to the forum, Strobe 201

New to the forum, owned my Strobe 201 for 8 years. In that time I spent countless hours on the boat, loved every minute! But countless hours take a toll and the original 350 was getting tired and in these last 2 years she was struggling to fire up (after 6 years and probably 1000 hours of flawless operation.) finally decided to repower and went with a 330hp vortec smallblock, picking her up this afternoon!

Couple questions for you guys, coming from a vintage 350 that was probably making 250hp best case to this new motor what do you think I’ll have to do for prop? I bought the boat with a custom prop, actually says 22.something for the pitch, and it was always great with stock power. Could have used more for top end running by myself, but never struggled to tow a tube with 5 people in the boat, really a great all around prop. Been thinking a 23 or 25 mirage plus... obviously won’t really know until I get in and feel the boat, just trying to get some third party opinions.

Couple pics of the boat, I’ll get some of the new engine later, sounds he did a pretty sweet paint job on it, Black with red flake.
Zsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,356 Times in 739 Posts
karzrus has a brilliant future
karzrus has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

Welcome to the forum.

I think you will be happy with the power bump but maybe not amazed. I'd wait and see what RPM and speed you top out at when running light and fully trimmed up.

What RPM/speed were you seeing with the old motor
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
Zsmith
Wannabe

Definitely happy as you said! I wasnít expecting to be too amazed, realized the vortec motor is really only getting the extra hp from revs, not torque , but I may have underestimated how weak the old motor had gotten. I was seeing 55 or so before the motor swap, getting about 64 now. Iím most excited about how eager throttle response is and how fast revs come, used to feel like a big diesel in the way it behaved. Unfortunately donít have accurate tach right now, needs to be replaced so I canít really make any decisions but I definitely donít think a big cup prop like the mirage plus will need 25p with this setup, guessing a 23 will make me quite happy. Would love to see 68 but Iím not sure.

This motor is really the stepping stone to a supercharged bravo setup once the drive goes. Just hoping to get a few years out of it this way to save up some money.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
Chellems
Convincor

Chellems is just really niceChellems is just really niceChellems is just really niceChellems is just really niceChellems is just really nice
Model Owned: 2000 Stiletto BR, 23'9", 454 MAG MPI, PROCHARGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsmith View Post
Definitely happy as you said! I wasnít expecting to be too amazed, realized the vortec motor is really only getting the extra hp from revs, not torque , but I may have underestimated how weak the old motor had gotten. I was seeing 55 or so before the motor swap, getting about 64 now. Iím most excited about how eager throttle response is and how fast revs come, used to feel like a big diesel in the way it behaved. Unfortunately donít have accurate tach right now, needs to be replaced so I canít really make any decisions but I definitely donít think a big cup prop like the mirage plus will need 25p with this setup, guessing a 23 will make me quite happy. Would love to see 68 but Iím not sure.

This motor is really the stepping stone to a supercharged bravo setup once the drive goes. Just hoping to get a few years out of it this way to save up some money.
My testing revealed a Mirage Prop will run 200-300 higher RPM then the Mirage Plus at the same pitch. Try to find a 25P Mirage
Chellems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Zsmith
Wannabe

Good to know, didnít realize the extra cup was that significant. Iím looking around and will likely end up testing out whatever good deal comes up first. Think I can probably get my hands on some testers (not necessarily mirage props) to see generally where I think it will land.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
PA-Cougar
Enchanter

PA-Cougar is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: Stingray 230SX 502-MAG EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellems View Post
My testing revealed a Mirage Prop will run 200-300 higher RPM then the Mirage Plus at the same pitch. Try to find a 25P Mirage

That that mean the Mirage would be faster on top end over the Mirage+ assuming the RPM gain but suffer in low to mid range?

PA-Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote