header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate-Boats Marketplace > Checkmate Listings
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Checkmate Listings This is our forum for listing Checkmates for sale or wanted. Please note that this forum is for member placed Checkmate listings only. For linking to non member listings such as eBay ads, please use our eBay, Internet & Other Listings Forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
2019's Boat of the Year Vote!
January 2019!
February 2019!
March 2019!
April 2019!
May 2019!
June 2019!
July 2019!
August 2019!
September 2019!
October 2019!
November 2019!
December 2019!
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 05-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
SneakyPete
Commander

SneakyPete is on a distinguished road
Model Owned: Enchanter

Default 1983 Checkmate Enchanter 383ci I/O

1983 Checkmate Enchanter I/O 21ft

MOTOR
383 cubic inch Small Block Chevy
GM 4 Bolt block (2 piece rear main seal)
Canton Pan
Melling HV Oil Pump
4340 Forged Stroker Crank
4340 Forged H-Beam 6 inch Rods
Keith Black Forged Pistons (-4.5cc, 2 valve reliefs)
Canton Reinforced Timing Cover
Double Roller Timing Chain
Tilton Extreme Duty Mini Starter
AFR 180cc Eliminator Heads (2.02 intake / 1.6 inconel exhaust / AFR upgrade valve spring kit / 65cc chambers)
Billet Roller Cam (custom spec’d by Bob Madera of Marine Kinetics, ground by Cam Motion)
Morel Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Crane Gold 1.5 Roller Rockers
Trend Pushrods
Edelbrock Victor Jr Intake
Barry Grant 750cfm Sea Demon Carb (custom tuned to the motor by Dean Nickerson Performance – including milling of the choke horn, jetting for the motor specs and elevation, and whatever other trickery Nickerson Performance does)
Race Pumps Fuel Pump (60psi)
Aeromotive Fuel Regulator (with psi gauge)
-10 Fuel line from tank to pump with filter
-8 Fuel line from pump to regulator with filter
-8 Fuel line from regulator to carb
GMPP Aluminum Valve Covers (painted orange, they look like the “572” valve covers)
Stainless Marine Manifolds with custom long risers (exhaust is 4 inches in diameter, nearly full dry, and has 4 inch stainless polished tips at the waterline)
Crane HI-6m digital ignition (8 ignition curves incl. lockout, adjustable rev limiter, and knock sensor input retard capability)
MSD Severe Duty Coil
Taylor Plug Wires
NGK Plugs
Merc TB4 Hall Effect Distributor (2 seasons of use)
Red LED engine bay lighting
I ran the boat on Shell Rotella 20w-40 oil and used 2 quart K&N oil filters. The boat comes with 16 quarts of 20w-50 Mobile 1 Extended Performance Synthetic Oil (what I planned to switch to this summer) as well as extra K&N oil filters.

INTERIOR
The interior was replaced about 6 years ago. The interior has only 3 seasons of use on it as it was replaced by the previous owner 2 yrs before I bought (he didn’t use it after replacing the interior). I have had the boat since February 2005. I used the boat for summer of 2005, 2006, and 2008. The interior was replaced with factory Checkmate seat covers (2 front buckets, 1 rear bench, 2 hatch sun pads, and the arm rest/trim pieces that run from the rear seat along the upper gunnels). The carpets were replaced with along with the rest of the interior. They are grey in color, look new and have no stains. The floor is solid. The interior is in fantastic shape, has no tears, stains, or defects. Under the bow there is a grey pad the covers the entire floor under the bow. The sides in ceiling of the under bow area are covered in blue fur (kinda looks like the sky, not like a pimp’s coat). There is a lamp under the bow and the entire passenger compartment and under bow area is lighted with blue LEDs. The boat has VDO gauges (oil pressure, coolant temp, rpms, speed, trim, volts). The trim gauge does not work (the trim senders in the outdrive are bad). All switches (blower, bilge, LEDs, nav lights etc) are new last year, and trimmed with blue anodized trim rings and tips.

ELECTRONICS
The boat has a dash mounted marine GPS (new last year). It has a Panasonic AM/FM/CD/IPOD head unit with tilt and a blue display. The speakers are Polk Audio 6x9 up front and 6in in the rear with 1in tweeters. The speakers are powered by a Baja 4 channel amplifier, wired with sreetwires, and lighted with blue LEDs.

EXTERIOR
The boat is blue and silver metal flake. The gel coat is in fantastic shape and looks close to brand new. There are some blemishes from dock rash throughout its life, but nothing larger than a couple of inches in size along the rub rail. The gel coat is not faded, is super shiny, and definitely gets attention. All hardware is stainless. The name of the boat (“Sure Thing”) is written along the sides near the bow. This can be removed with a hair dryer and some patience. The guy who owned it before me had a buffalo airbrushed on the bow near the front nav light. It is about the size of your hand. I don’t like it personally, but most people don’t notice it so I have never bothered to remove it. The front nav light is LEDs in a stainless housing and was new last season. There is a factory ski pylon directly behind the rear seat and in front of the motor (therefore it behaves very well with an aggressive skier). Most other Enchanters I have seen have the ski pylon at the rear of the boat, behind the motor. I am not sure why mine is different. It was a custom order, so that may be why. The boat also has stainless trim tabs, which are great for leveling the boat when fully loaded or changing the wake shape. The boat has a full bow to stern cover that fits great and stays tight. The cover was new last year. The cover is blue and is in outstanding shape.

PERFORMANCE & HOW IT RUNS
The fastest I have ever run the boat was 70.8 on GPS at 5000rpm. The prop used was a 25p Mirage. The boat makes its best power at 5800rpm. A smaller pitch prop should be used to bring the rpms up closer to the motor’s power peak. I think the boat could do 75 or more with the right prop (maybe 23p or 21p Laser or Tempest). I haven’t had the money to buy a bunch of props for testing. The boat comes with the 25p Mirage in flawless condition, a 21p stainless cleaver that is in good shape (I don’t know how fast the boat is with this prop, I haven’t used it since the boat had the old 350 in it), and a new Michigan aluminum 21p prop. The boat starts and runs like it is fuel injected (thanks to the Nickerson carb and powerful ignition). The outdrive has a Simrek drive shower. The boat will idle all day long or lope along at slow speed without complaint for hours. It does not stall, foul plugs, or act ornery. It will run at part throttle, or wide open in the same trouble free fashion. I have been super gentle with this boat despite how overbuilt everything is. I change the oil a couple of times per season (last summer was the most hours I put on it in a season. I used it 20 hours and about 200 miles according to the GPS). I run 140w Royal Purple in the outdrive, changed twice per season. I spend most of my time idling along at about 1200-1500rpms because it sounds cool, my girlfriend doesn’t like to go fast often, and I boat in the Connecticut River and I am paranoid about hitting a submerged log. I have towed my brother waterskiing for 12 miles with it, it has run at 50mph for miles on end, and it can run wfo for extended periods without worry (the motor is built to run hard). I hate to sell this, as I have poured hundreds of hours of my time and spent thousands and thousands of dollars while building it, but I have a baby on the way and we have gone from 2 jobs down to 1 (mine) so my old baby must go in order to make room for the new one. The boat has been garage kept during the off season.

TRAILER
The trailer is a LoadRite single axle. The only original parts of the trailer are the wheels, fenders, and the tongue. Everything else was replaced with new galvanized parts by the previous owner 6 years ago. I did the bearings a couple of years ago and they have less than 1k miles on them. I replaced the tires a couple of years ago. One of the tires began to bulge last year so I replaced it with a used auto tire, so the tires are not matching.

The boat is turn key ready to go. I am asking $14,900 o/bo. This is less than what it cost me to build just the motor. Feel free to contact me with questions or picture and video requests. The boat is located in Southeast Vermont, about 10 mins north of Mass and 10 mins west of NH. I can definitely help with delivery (including bringing it to you within a reasonable distance…100mi or so).

checkmate383@hotmail.com

802-257-2640

Album of Pics
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh..._NAME=snapfish

Vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veDbD8zRFqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKD4eJyleCQ

70.8mph on GPS

Last edited by Chris; 05-10-2009 at 12:46 AM.
SneakyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
mikestrobe201
Persuader

mikestrobe201 will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: '89 Strobe 201 350 Magnum

Sorry to see you selling it, I enjoyed reading about the build up. Good luck with the sale.
Alpha One
mikestrobe201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
SneakyPete
Commander

70.8mph on GPS

Last edited by SneakyPete; 05-07-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
SneakyPete
Commander

Thanks Mike,
I hate to sell but I have to.

70.8mph on GPS
Old 05-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
yellowfiero88
Senator

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,478 Posts
yellowfiero88 has a reputation beyond reputeyellowfiero88 has a reputation beyond repute
yellowfiero88 has a reputation beyond reputeyellowfiero88 has a reputation beyond reputeyellowfiero88 has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 1985 Enchanter I/O 383, 2001 Convincor 320, twin 454mags

Nice looking boat. Good luck with the sale.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
SneakyPete
Commander

Default Price Lowered

Price Lowered to $12,500

70.8mph on GPS
Old 06-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
SneakyPete
Commander

Anyone??? Some one make an offer, I am willing to negotiate... Add to the list a new drive bellows, shift bellows, and a new shift cable as of yesterday.

70.8mph on GPS
Old 07-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
SneakyPete
Commander

$9950

My new # 802-579-1202

70.8mph on GPS
Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Vandalizer
Admiral

Location: Central OH || The boater formerly known as ToP Enticer
Vandalizer has a spectacular aura aboutVandalizer has a spectacular aura aboutVandalizer has a spectacular aura about
Model Owned: Hydrostream Vandal with Evinrude Xflow || || Past: Root Beer Enticer w 115 ToP

Nice looking boat! Sounds awesome!
Congrats on the baby, but sorry about the mate.
Vandalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
winter
Vice Admiral

winter has a spectacular aura aboutwinter has a spectacular aura about
Model Owned: 92 Persuader 234, Andy Jensen 468ci

Keep it brotha! Your new kid will love it!
16' lightened Checkmate MX16 worked 150 inline (deathboat#1, gone)
87 Hydrostream V-King, hi-po 235 Rude (deathboat#2 gone)
87 Checkmate Starflite, 200 Rude (gone)
92 Checkmate Persuader 202br 350 Mag. (gone)
92 Checkmate Persuader 234br Andy Jensen 468ci
96 Sea-Doo XP
winter is offline   Reply With Quote