header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Non Checkmate Discussion Forums > Open Boating Forum
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Open Boating Forum This is an open forum for all boating topics non Checkmate related. If you want to discuss your Hydrostream, Allison, bassboat, tinboat, jetski etc., then this would be the forum for you. You can also use this forum for discussing anything generally boating related and also for posting boating related announcements or notices.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
November 2018's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator! 3 15%
I vote for "JupiterPulsare's" Starflite! 3 15%
I vote for "Chrisg82's" Enchanter Jet! 6 30%
I vote for "ekkick's" Convincor! 8 40%
Voters: 20 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
SHARKEYMARINE
Playmate

SHARKEYMARINE is on a distinguished road

Exclamation ALERT !!! Speed Limits on NJ's Waterways

(From the NJPPC President)

"I am not sure if many of you are yet aware of Senator Sarlo's intentions to bring forward a bill that would require a 10mph speed limit at night on NJ's waterways?

New Jersey already has some of the toughest safe boating laws in the country. We also have laws against driving and drinking. We have laws that require proper lights on all boats at night. We have laws that require that you drive at a safe speed based upon current conditions.

New Jersey is doing a great job of protecting boaters through it's current laws and setting a great example to other states. I do not know why Senator Sarlo is convinced we need Speed Limits on the tidal waters at night?

If someone drinks and drives a boat at night, or takes drugs and drives a boat at night, or drives at any speed without running lights, or operates a boat without a proper legal certification they are already breaking current laws. Senator Sarlo is trying to penalize the many for the possible sins of a few. Those that wish to break the law will not be any more careful because of the potential new law.

I make no assumptions or accusations in this current tragedy on the Metedeconk River because we do not know the facts.

We believe that the real issue at hand is that the State Police Marine Bureau is currently way under funded and they have a limited or non-existent current presence on the water. We believe that additional funding is needed so that there can be a greater State Police presence on the water to enforce all of the existing laws. That we believe would make all of NJ's waterways safer."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Sharkey:

I would like to take this time to make you all aware that the Boating Regulation Commission mainly Roger Brown is ready to put a Speed Limit on NJ's Waterways.

"I'd very much like to push it (a speed limit) through," Roger K. Brown of Brick, commission chairman and a boater, said Tuesday. Brown said he will bring copies of news stories about the fatal accident to the other eight members of the commission. The panel next meets at 10 a.m. Sept. 10 in Margate.

This comes just 3 days after the boating accident on the Metedeconk River in which State Police Sgt. Julian Castellanos said, " the victims were not speeding" "They were traveling at a normal speed," Castellanos said.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...=2008808040345

State Police Sgt. Stephen Jones has said, "the preliminary evidence indicates that both boats were moving at the time of the crash," with no comment as to whether speed-ing was involved.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...=2008808060401

We all had to stop this back in 2003 and now we need to ban together to keep it from happening again. If you think it will only be for night time, think again. Once they get part of the pie they are going to want the rest of it eventually and they will get it if we don't stop them now.

Please help us in this fight, before all New Jersey waterways become all No Wake Zones.

Thank you !