header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Worldwide Checkmate Chapters > "Pacific Mates"
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

"Pacific Mates" The Local Chapter for our owners from the West Coast, areas include Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Nevada, and Arizona.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
September 2018's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "Horseplay's" Convincor 300! 6 46%
I vote for "Redboat's" Senator! 0 0%
I vote for "Jupiter Pulsare's" Starflite! 3 23%
I vote for "Chrisg82's Enchanter Jet! 3 23%
I vote for "knarloid's" group shot! 1 8%
Voters: 13 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 02-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,292 Times in 974 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

Default Incident At Thirteen Fathoms

The Wright Brothers had covered about 120 feet on one of their first manned attempts at flight. I had covered four of five times that on my first manned (or would that be boyed?) flight but injuries to the aircraft (The Bearscat) and to myself, had been sufficient to ease all desire in that direction and make further attempts seem unrewarding and possibly fatal. Even as I had been immersed in the quest for flight, I had been working on the design of a 'deep sea diving outfit'. My thoughts had been centered upon retrieving large logs that had sunk into the nearby lake in our small mountain town. These large logs were quite valuable. I suspected that over the years, many large valuable logs had found their way to the bottom of the lake and were just lying there in wait of someone to drop down, hook on a cable, and winch them topside, to be loaded upon a log truck for a quick trip to the mill. I could just feel all of those dollars and cents funneling through my hot little hands.
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimway For This Useful Post:
1954bmw (02-10-2018), Gimme Fuel (02-12-2018), Instigator (02-10-2018), justintocars (03-10-2018), karzrus (02-10-2018), Nick616 (02-10-2018), wss (02-12-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
keith4216
Checkmate Guru

Thanked 5,969 Times in 2,722 Posts
keith4216 has a reputation beyond reputekeith4216 has a reputation beyond reputekeith4216 has a reputation beyond reputekeith4216 has a reputation beyond repute
keith4216 has a reputation beyond reputekeith4216 has a reputation beyond reputekeith4216 has a reputation beyond reputekeith4216 has a reputation beyond reputekeith4216 has a reputation beyond reputekeith4216 has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 91 Convincor gtx

Another morning bathroom read
Old 02-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
1954bmw
Trimate

1954bmw will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 1971 MX15w 115-135 Frankenmerc, 16.6 Sea Ray, 2- 18.6 Sea Rays, 3888 Bayliner, 1973 MX14w 50 merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4216 View Post
Another morning bathroom read
How do you work a laptop in the library?????
1954bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,356 Times in 739 Posts
karzrus has a brilliant future
karzrus has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954bmw View Post
How do you work a laptop in the library?????
You switch to a tablet for those occasions.
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
Jimway
Ambassador

Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute

I'm laughing here.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Instigator
Enforcer

Instigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to allInstigator is a name known to all
Model Owned: '86 Convincor I/O being converted to twin O/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimway View Post
The Wright Brothers had covered about 120 feet on one of their first manned attempts at flight. I had covered four of five times that on my first manned (or would that be boyed?) flight but injuries to the aircraft (The Bearscat) and to myself, had been sufficient to ease all desire in that direction and make further attempts seem unrewarding and possibly fatal. Even as I had been immersed in the quest for flight, I had been working on the design of a 'deep sea diving outfit'. My thoughts had been centered upon retrieving large logs that had sunk into the nearby lake in our small mountain town. These large logs were quite valuable. I suspected that over the years, many large valuable logs had found their way to the bottom of the lake and were just lying there in wait of someone to drop down, hook on a cable, and winch them topside, to be loaded upon a log truck for a quick trip to the mill. I could just feel all of those dollars and cents funneling through my hot little hands.
Was this alcohol fueled or sanely conceived?

If the latter, I remember a while back there was a reality show about them doing that.

Also, we were in a dive museum in the Keys a couple yrs back and they have on display, some AMAZING (-ly crude/basic) early diving helmets/rigs.
Almost all supplied w/air from topside.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.
Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
Jimway
Ambassador

When I say that it was just after the home built plane crash, I mean that I was still wearing the cast on the broken arm. I had just somehow made it to double digits in age.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
1954bmw
Trimate

Model Owned: 1971 MX15w 115-135 Frankenmerc, 16.6 Sea Ray, 2- 18.6 Sea Rays, 3888 Bayliner, 1973 MX14w 50 merc

Hey Gary, check out a thread named piston rings started by 2015vxr and hyjacked by jimway at my suggestion, splains it all, also, how close are you to Polaris shopping center????? And GO jimway.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #9
Jimway
Ambassador

Remember also that it was smoking hot weather that distant summer long ago. Back then, logging, in the Northwest, was big business and rampant. I was fortunate enough to be able to hang with my Grandfather and his buddies. Oh the smell of two cycle engines, grease, gasoline, diesel, rusty cables being stretched to their limits (and sometimes beyond), and fresh cut pine trees in the morning. Being around with all of the equipment was a dream come true for a mechanically interested kid. Just keeping blades and chains sharpened was a full time job and someone who could put an edge back onto stuff was a highly sought after commodity, likewise, someone (or kid) who could repair a saw, on a stump, out in the woods, with a minimum of tools, parts, and money. At the end of the day back then, if trees weren't hitting the ground, nobody got paid. Out on the ranch, as we called it, down behind the mountainous barn, sat all kinds of equipment, parts, cables, hardware, and contraptions, some of which defied description. If a person, even a small one, wanted to make something, all one had to do was just go out there and find what you might want, because it would be there. As a side note, we built several street rods from scratch out of that pile of stuff in later years, not to mention keeping a big GMC truck running to this day (some of you will know the significance of this little tidbit). Right after the 'hard landing' (as a Navy guy we know might call it), being sutured up all over and sporting a cast on my arm, I was protestingly put on injured reserve and unhappily left in the care of the women folk who, one in particular, were clean, methodical, hard working, non smoking, non drinking, non boasting, non fighting, and non swearing, and equipped with very little sense of humour. "She aint Hooman" our old friend and reprobate Wayne (aka 'The Shark') would say about an Aunt of mine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimway For This Useful Post:
1954bmw (02-11-2018), Gimme Fuel (02-12-2018), justintocars (03-10-2018), wss (02-12-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #10
1954bmw
Trimate

Hey Jimway, did you ever buy Mrs. Jim a new Jaguar????
The Following User Says Thank You to 1954bmw For This Useful Post:
Jimway (02-13-2018)