header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Non Checkmate Discussion Forums > Open Boating Forum
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Open Boating Forum This is an open forum for all boating topics non Checkmate related. If you want to discuss your Hydrostream, Allison, bassboat, tinboat, jetski etc., then this would be the forum for you. You can also use this forum for discussing anything generally boating related and also for posting boating related announcements or notices.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
June 2019's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "PA-Checkmate's" Convincor! 5 33%
I vote for "senator-holland's" Convincor! 4 27%
I vote for "boatn70's" Pulse 210! 6 40%
Voters: 15 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
PA-Checkmate
Persuader

PA-Checkmate will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 2002 Convincor 270 496-MAG-HO

Default Slow electric hatch opening...

2002 Convincor that the hatch opens very slow due to voltage drop at lift motor. While opening the voltage drops to about 6 volts and on close it's around 10v. The voltage should be battery(12V) or more if engine is running. Haven't checked supply voltage at switch yet, but think it's related to the wire gauge used along with total length of wire? Anyone else have this issue and was there a fix?

My solution is I'm designing a circuit to feed the lift on the "up" supplied from a source closer to engine or battery.

thanks

PA-Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,312 Times in 991 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

Throw your amp-meter on there and see what it's pulling. Maybe the lift motor is pulling a lot of current? The size of the current draw will tell you if the circuit supplying the lift motor is large enough for the load served. As always, verify all grounds are clean and tight.
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
Jimway
Ambassador

Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute

Also, a 20 to 30 amp load will work up to about 4 feet on #12 wire. #10 wire up to 16 feet, #8 up to 24 feet. Remember to include return path to ground in your measurement.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
Gimme Fuel
Senator

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,607 Posts
Gimme Fuel has a reputation beyond reputeGimme Fuel has a reputation beyond repute
Gimme Fuel has a reputation beyond reputeGimme Fuel has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 2000 Powerquest 380, 1987 Starfire, Past: 1997 253 Convincor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Checkmate View Post
2002 Convincor that the hatch opens very slow due to voltage drop at lift motor. While opening the voltage drops to about 6 volts and on close it's around 10v. The voltage should be battery(12V) or more if engine is running. Haven't checked supply voltage at switch yet, but think it's related to the wire gauge used along with total length of wire? Anyone else have this issue and was there a fix?

My solution is I'm designing a circuit to feed the lift on the "up" supplied from a source closer to engine or battery.

thanks
Very common problem. You need to add a relay in between the switch and motor. One of these winch relay solenoids does the trick. The wiring is never heavy enough from dash switch to run one of those actuators let alone as time goes by and things corrode.

https://www.amazon.com/Winch-Solenoi...gateway&sr=8-3
Old 05-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
PA-Checkmate
Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel View Post
Very common problem. You need to add a relay in between the switch and motor. One of these winch relay solenoids does the trick. The wiring is never heavy enough from dash switch to run one of those actuators let alone as time goes by and things corrode.

https://www.amazon.com/Winch-Solenoi...gateway&sr=8-3
Going to check AMP draw next week when I get boat back from getting new cover made. Motor didn't get hot, and only has a 15AMP fuse but I'm sure it's all the wire in the circuit. Power supply to dash switch, then both wire runs from back to front. My guess there's 30ft wire in that circuit. I like the relay... but I'm going a different route with the typical 4 prong relay. Going to have it only activated on the up switch polarity with a feed off the engine somewhere to boost the current/voltage to the motor. I also installed a diode to the relay "coil" so it will not activate on the down switch which is reversed polarity. does that sound like BS or maybe I may be onto a simple cheap fix??

Old 05-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
Jimway
Ambassador

I like the relay idea, as usual, Fuel is all over it....
Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
ezstriper
Ambassador

ezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to beholdezstriper is a splendid one to behold
Model Owned: 253 convincor(sold) 251 convincor(sold) 21 Eliminator Daytona 25 Sportcraft CC 50 Gibson

well known issue on many makes, the relay is the best answer
Old 05-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Gimme Fuel
Senator

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,607 Posts
Model Owned: 2000 Powerquest 380, 1987 Starfire, Past: 1997 253 Convincor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Checkmate View Post
Going to check AMP draw next week when I get boat back from getting new cover made. Motor didn't get hot, and only has a 15AMP fuse but I'm sure it's all the wire in the circuit. Power supply to dash switch, then both wire runs from back to front. My guess there's 30ft wire in that circuit. I like the relay... but I'm going a different route with the typical 4 prong relay. Going to have it only activated on the up switch polarity with a feed off the engine somewhere to boost the current/voltage to the motor. I also installed a diode to the relay "coil" so it will not activate on the down switch which is reversed polarity. does that sound like BS or maybe I may be onto a simple cheap fix??
Kinda reinventing the wheel. you can get similar or lighter duty reversing relays than one i posted for cheaper. It doesn't get much easier than adding a relay like that inline and running some heavier wires directly to battery with inline fuse.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
Problem Child
Ambassador

Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,255 Posts
Problem Child has a reputation beyond repute
Problem Child has a reputation beyond reputeProblem Child has a reputation beyond reputeProblem Child has a reputation beyond reputeProblem Child has a reputation beyond reputeProblem Child has a reputation beyond reputeProblem Child has a reputation beyond reputeProblem Child has a reputation beyond reputeProblem Child has a reputation beyond reputeProblem Child has a reputation beyond reputeProblem Child has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 1993 Persuader 235 465 Hp Sold 283 Convincor 600Sc 72 Jetmate 402 28 Warlock Sxt

Mine was dragging bad on the 283. Acculift is close to me so I took it there and had it rebuilt. The owner dropped what he was doing and rebuilt it while I went and had lunch. Although it was in good shape he said the rubber bushing shrinks over time squeezes the ram until this drag occurs overworking the electronics . He rheemed it out and put a gear reduction in it to allow the life of the actuator to double. He charged me around $100.
Gimme Fuel (05-09-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
PA-Checkmate
Persuader

Got to check AMP draw today and was about 11amp until hatch was near open and then peaked about 14a. The circuit has a 20amp breaker and according to Lenco the HL-1200 should draw 10amps. Going to install my homemade relay kit and then check but still think circuit has too much voltage drop.