header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Overhaulin' > Fibreglass, Resins & Composites
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Fibreglass, Resins & Composites This forum is for Fibreglass, Resins & Composite discussions. Topics include Fibreglass repairs, as well as related topics like transom, stringer and floor repairs and replacements.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
2018's Boat of the Year Vote!
January 2018!
February 2018!
March 2018!
April 2018!
May 2018!
June 2018!
July 2018!
August 2018!
September 2018!
October 2018!
November 2018!
December 2018!
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 05-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Kbedek
Wannabe

Kbedek is on a distinguished road

Default Help for a beginner with an 87 Eluder

I need some very detailed help as I have absolutely no idea what Im doing. I have started what I thought would be a simple job of replacing the carpet. I pulled up the old stuff and found that the back of one of the front seat boxes was rotted. I have marine plywood, I also purchased some bondo fiberglass resin and cloth. Will this be sufficient to fix the issue? If so, how exactly do I go about fixing it? If not, what else specifically do I need? Please keep in mind that this is my first boat and I have no fiberglass experience and no real repair experience either. I will try to post pics later. Thanks for any help!
Kbedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,358 Times in 741 Posts
karzrus has a brilliant future
karzrus has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

There is a Restoration Discussion section (in this forum)where a bunch of guys have posted their work over the years. Pictures, materials used, quantities, time it took.

Have a look, I think you will find the answers to your questions and then you will have a very big desission to make and a some new questions that we can help you with.

The biggest question about your boat is how much water damaged wood is in it and where is it located. It is very unlikely that the one seat box is the only problem. If it is the only issue, you just won the lottery!

Good Luck
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
Rob B
Checkmate Guru

Thanked 3,473 Times in 1,983 Posts
Rob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond repute
Rob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond reputeRob B has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 83 Enforcer w/ 01 Evinrude 250 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbedek View Post
I need some very detailed help as I have absolutely no idea what Im doing. I have started what I thought would be a simple job of replacing the carpet. I pulled up the old stuff and found that the back of one of the front seat boxes was rotted. I have marine plywood, I also purchased some bondo fiberglass resin and cloth. Will this be sufficient to fix the issue? If so, how exactly do I go about fixing it? If not, what else specifically do I need? Please keep in mind that this is my first boat and I have no fiberglass experience and no real repair experience either. I will try to post pics later. Thanks for any help!
Check this thread out:
http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/sh...ghlight=eluder

Old username: cmpulse170
Rob B is offline   Reply With Quote