• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Anchors

generalee

I am wondering what type of anchor I should be looking for to tie of the back end of my convincor to. I have a good front anchor but need to come up with something to hold the back end in place, last year I would just drop the front anchor and beach the back end in the sand to hold in place. I never trusted it to stay and when I have boats all around me I don't want it to get loose if I walk away. And I dont like burying my outdrive in the sand to hold it in place either. What type of anchor should I use I know there are all different types. I dont want nor have room for another big hinge type anchor, would one of the shroom type hold it or are the good for anything?

I'd think it would hold it... I've borrowed one to anchor the back of the Exciter when the sandbar was really crowded and it worked great. I think it even held better than my tiny danforth... the danforth didn't do all that great in the sand in Tenn. with the current.

I'd really like to get a box anchor this year- supposed to hold great and fold up for storage... and light weight:thumb:. Costs some $s though.

I used the solid gray curling weights from walmart 40 pounder on a rope worked good for me on my Convincor

like the ones pictured

Attachments

• 6a00d8341c764053ef00e551e1f8c78834-800wi.jpg
    6a00d8341c764053ef00e551e1f8c78834-800wi.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 7
I like my navy anchor around beach areas it holds.And kids,pets and drunks won't hurt the themselfs on it either!

I used the solid gray curling weights from walmart 40 pounder on a rope worked good for me on my Convincor

like the ones pictured

Why do I see my balls getting broke greatly when I pull out the two 20lb weights in my boat by others and especially the people in my boat lol haha! I can just imagine the comments from them lol! But Im sure it would work just fine. Maybe I will go to gander and try one of them mushroom types I suppose.

Why do I see my balls getting broke greatly when I pull out the two 20lb weights in my boat by others and especially the people in my boat lol haha! I can just imagine the comments from them lol! But Im sure it would work just fine. Maybe I will go to gander and try one of them mushroom types I suppose.

Not 2 on one rope I used one 40 on the front and one 35 on the rear. I did have a hot babe once say I like your anchors. I told her I liked her bikini what their was of it.

2 dumb bells take up alot less space, buy what bout holding power in current,or waves etc...?

I don't believe in anchors. They slow you down.
Yeah, I know... thats why I carry a very small danforth, but I'm going to have to get somthing more substantial this year... I hate the idea of having a bulky, heavy anchor- espically bouncing around in rough stuff. I might try using a dumbell on a rope and see how I like it... its cheap enough- and if anyone makes fun of it, it'll probably be a hell of a weapon:D

2 dumb bells take up alot less space, buy what bout holding power in current,or waves etc...?

On my Convincor I never had a problem with waves, then again I never stuck my boat in a river to feel current. When sleeping at night in a cove I only threw the 35 off the back and I was always were I thought I was when anchored. But then again I always had plenty off beer in me when I threw out the anchor.

I choose the dumb bell because they took up less room. And the anchors with a chain suck because of the chain. The mushroom will not hold better than the dumb-bell.

On my Convincor I never had a problem with waves, then again I never stuck my boat in a river to feel current. When sleeping at night in a cove I only threw the 35 off the back and I was always were I thought I was when anchored. But then again I always had plenty off beer in me when I threw out the anchor.

I choose the dumb bell because they took up less room. And the anchors with a chain suck because of the chain. The mushroom will not hold better than the dumb-bell.

Well maybe I will give one a shot, I think I prolly have something in the cellar from my worlds strongest man competition days lol! And I hate that chain too, cuz it is going to somehow slide down the side of the boat one of these days taking it in or out. I almost bought one of those plast covered chains the other day at Gander mountain to replace the one on my anchor, but they didn't have the length I wanted.

OK, my 2 cents worth on anchors. I've got a mushroom anchor on my lil' 15 ft fishing boat and it doesn't work real well when there's any kind of wind. Now that's with a hard/muddy bottom, maybe with a sandy bottom it could dig in and do better. I just bought a Danforth anchor, haven't had a chance to try it yet but I suspect it will do much better.

Also, ANY anchor will hold better with a section of chain attached to it because lifting action from waves will be dampened out.

I hate to think of using a chain. Having that metal anchor by my fiberglass boat is bad enough without having to worry about a chain... maybe a coated one would be ok?

I've found that the danforth works great in mud- really digs in and holds. That tiny one I have holds the 24 good in strong winds with a mud bottom. It works ok in fine sand, but not so much in coarse sand. The mushroom anchor hold well in that situation- but I bet a dumbell will work just as well.

BR- did you just tie a slipknot around the handle, or make a bridal to attach?

What type of anchor should be used where you have rock on the bottom?
A solid rock bottom or bunch of smaller rocks?
I've used my mini danforth on a river that had rocks the size of your fist- held great and released ok. On solid rock, I'd think the only way to make it hold is by sheer weight of the anchor?

I have a one of those fortress danforth anchors. It's made from some alloy that is supposed to be very strong but light. I have a coated chain on it. That combo works great on the sandy bottom MI lakes. Great primary anchor.

I also have one of those little folding anchors - looks like 4 flowerpedals with a collar that slides up and down to lock it open/closed. I don't use any chain on that one. It also works pretty well on sandy / rocky bottoms and is a great compact, cheap, light way to keep your back end straight. So that's what I'd go for. It works well, but I sure wouldn't anchor in a big lake overnight on it. Here's a link:

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=78508F

A solid rock bottom or bunch of smaller rocks?
I've used my mini danforth on a river that had rocks the size of your fist- held great and released ok. On solid rock, I'd think the only way to make it hold is by sheer weight of the anchor?

On the St. Lawrence river they have areas that have large boulders mixed with smaller rock. I wondered what type of anchor wouldn't get csught in the breaks/cracks in the rock when you tired to pull the anchor up.

Back