• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HOW FAST IS YOUR CHECKMATE? EVERYONE!

Bio - my enchanter used to porpoise at part throttle and a few passengers with a cleaver. I switched to a mirage and it never does it. Your avatar is awesome!!

Last edited:
Tonight, 3 adults, cooler, over 1/2 tank, 63.7........Pulse 186 175 merc, 6" hydraulic plate run up 3" turning a 23 tempest plus at 5900...will give solo gps runs later this week.

Bio,
your on the right track with the bravo on that boat, my 242 with the 330 ran 57 all the time so i think your on the money!!
be careful jumping like that, dont hurt that drive on re-entry!!

98 convincor 242 sport
procharged 502
80.3mph gps

kevin

49.1 on the GPS, with only me in the boat, and the gas tank pulled up to the front seats to get some trim out of it without porposing. It seems like all it spins is 5550-5600 rpm when we open it up. After that we get lots of chine walking. I have some thoughts on getting more speed out of it, but it feels alot faster than 49. :)

My dad bought a 90 horse merc to replace the 80's 700 merc that was on it when we bought the boat. It is quite a riot to drive and give my buddies rides.

boatn70 said:
Bio,
your on the right track with the bravo on that boat, my 242 with the 330 ran 57 all the time so i think your on the money!!
be careful jumping like that, dont hurt that drive on re-entry!!

98 convincor 242 sport
procharged 502
80.3mph gps

kevin
allright...that sounds nice.
yeah, i know about the outdrive, i've tried to have engine @ idle on re-entry...
...but next year i'm going to put an Bravo drive on the boat.
And I don't always jump like that either ;)

But we had a lot of fun that day (avatar pic) there's a few more photos in this thread.
http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6697

Costa said:
Panther, There is not alot you can do to the rudes to get more top end without modding the internals. They really dont like anything over 6000rpm. May people have told me not to run it over 6k for more than 1 minute unless I want my internals to become externals!! To get more power your best bet would be to get in touch with Monte at www.montyracing.com he is the best in the country at modding reliable OMC's. I really love the sound of open exhaust on an outboard!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like you have a sweet motor-:bigthumb: what kind of mate is she running on?
My boat is a 17ft panther made by Quinns marine in Pefferlaw Ont, they bought the moulds off of Checkmate in the early eighties, it's the same a a V-mate II . I've got a high jacker hp six inch manual jackplate and dual cable ride glide steering.I'm taking some picks this weekend and I'll post them next week.Over the winter I'm having the front seats redone and replacing the carpet.

1988 starflite 1989 Merc 2.4 bridgeport EFI (240 hp stock)
22p quicksilver 3-blade chopper 8" extensions 5" jackplate
Jackplate all the way up, engine mounted on top holes
Bullet of CLE about 1" above the bottom of the boat
Front wall under deck and foam removed
Just me and nothing else in the boat, 70.5 GPS @ 7200 RPM
5 people, 2 coolers, a dog, a tube, tons of junk, 66 mph @ 6500 RPM
Very fast out of the hole, on plane in 3 seconds.
70 mph is scary to me so I don't think i will try to do more love this boat never selling it!

Tried a 27 Mirage. Went 3 mph slower and spun 100 rpm faster verses the 26 Bravo 1 4 blade....For sale 27 Mirage 3 blade good cond.$225.00 plus shipping.

nice pics on your web page of your starflite,mine did'nt come with the hood ornament though.heres mine '89 starflite with a 91 johnson 300hp v-8 now modified to 425hp mounted on a land&sea hydrulic jack plate run all the way up.nose cone and a 26p ballistic chopper prop with hot foot throttle 77mph on gps with more available still learning to keep it smooth at speed.As for the other posts in here about chine walking get the play out of the steering and just get more seat time you gotta learn to drive thru it.sounds crazy but it works.first times out could'nt get boat over 65 without chine walking but we're gettin there.lets go fast ye-hah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enchanter

78 enchanter 21 ft ,327 chevy balanced and blue printed, holley 650, ballistic 22 prop, original merc outdrive.....67.3 mph

Big Dave's Diplomat

New spedo pickup today and removed the hydrofoil, 5 teenagers, lots of ski's & full ice chest 63 on spedo still trim and throttle to go
5300+rpm 14.5 x 20p 4blade Mach Sterndriver
17'4" Diplomat I/O 5.7 chev
Need to find a cheap 23 mirage to try for top speed

i was out this weekend. i brrowed a 30" hoss triton. i jacked the engine up a 1/2". i was able to seee 81.7 MPH @ 6400 rpm. that comes out to 15% slip. i may lower it back down 1/2" and see if it bites more. :bigthumb:

this hoss is a rocket out of the hole. there is minimal slip upon take off.

07' 16' PULSARE 125 MERC 26 P LASER II 58.6 g.p.s.Not the fastest,but very fun in a small Check.No jack plate i wonder if that would help top end.

I just took a customers new 2007 2100 out today to break it in. After 3 hours we opened it up. It ran a little over 73 on Gps with two of us in it. As you can see by the pic, the Mercury speedo was a little optimistic. I took the pic with one hand while trying to drive with the other.

Attachments

• Garys right rear in water.jpg
    Garys right rear in water.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Garys 21 82 mph.jpg
    Garys 21 82 mph.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 287
My personal 21 ran 90.8 with the 300x.

Attachments

• 2100 L 300x and rear of boat.jpg
    2100 L 300x and rear of boat.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 183