• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Removing Engine - Dumb Q of the day

pony3xp

Hi All,
A couple of really dumb questions. This after I read the newbie dumb question thread last night:). (and I also asked how you post pictures too, but I did figure it out on my own).

The boat I bought came with the engine disasembled. The lower unit is not there but the rest of the engine is still mounted. Everything but the steering is disconnected. See attached.

Do I just have to unscrew the two silver through bolts on the right side of the engine looking at it from the back? I was a little nervouse only becuase of the grease fittings.

Also, Any way I can test the tilt/trim? Can I just hook this up to a battery and give it power?

Thanks

Attachments

• MATE 006.jpg
    MATE 006.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 40
remove the cables where the grease zerts are

as far as the trim

there should be red and black wires from the trim pump

red pos black neg

there is a pigtail coming out of the trim pump the red is the hot jump it to one side then the other

should be a three wire conector red blue green

i would try the trim before i removed just to know

how are the steering cables?

good luck daren

Thanks

Thanks Daren,

No idea about the cables. They are all sealed. The steering is very tight, there is no play at all. It might even be too tight, as the wheel is a little difficult to move. Like driving in the old days before power steering:). I will know better after I get the engine disconnected.

Test the Trim/Tilt

Hi All,
A couple of really dumb questions. This after I read the newbie dumb question thread last night:). (and I also asked how you post pictures too, but I did figure it out on my own).

The boat I bought came with the engine disasembled. The lower unit is not there but the rest of the engine is still mounted. Everything but the steering is disconnected. See attached.

Do I just have to unscrew the two silver through bolts on the right side of the engine looking at it from the back? I was a little nervouse only becuase of the grease fittings.

Also, Any way I can test the tilt/trim? Can I just hook this up to a battery and give it power?

Thanks

Your Tilt/Trim wires as shown in your photo are the Black, Blue, and Green.
Connect the black to the Neg post of a battery and then connect the Blue or Green to the Pos post for a test. Blue to go up Green to go down. If you have a High Amp battery charger you can use that instead of a battery.
To remove the steering cables pull the two bolts with lock-nuts on the very end (port side) and then back off the large nuts on the starboard side and the cables will slide out.:bigthumb:

Back