• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

dual cables??

You guys keep talking about different steering options and I'm using a single cable. Is the dual that much better. The boat's not done so now is the time to change if I have to. Also I've never driven the boat so I don't know what a single cable is like

A single cable is fine. But if you are going to be pushing your boat for high speeds a dual cable is better or HYD steering.

If you need to change the cable I would go ahead and use a dual cable set up.

I don't really need to change the cable as far as I know. Currently I own the single but it is not installed cause I'm working on the boat. I just don't know the difference. I'm also not sure what u mean by high speed, I have an evinrude 175 on an 18' v mate II. What do u think I'll get?

Safty Issue

I don't really need to change the cable as far as I know. Currently I own the single but it is not installed cause I'm working on the boat. I just don't know the difference. I'm also not sure what u mean by high speed, I have an evinrude 175 on an 18' v mate II. What do u think I'll get?

Dave, the rule of thumb is anything over 150 HP or 50 mph. Your V Mate exceeds both, think safty.

Ok I'm all about safety. If I'm changing the steering to a dual cable should I then go with hydraulic? what does that involve? Does different steering attach to the outboard in the same manner as a single cable.

Be aware a new dual cable system will run you under $300 and a good hydraulic system (Sea Star Pro) will cost around $900...................

Hey Dave,

You should either use a dual cable, or Seastar setup. Dual cable does use a different style helm then your single cable, and you will also need a tilt tube bracket to adapt a dual cable to your motor, which is usually available separatly. Seastar requires a whole new system as well, but they include everything in the kit. Both are kinda pricey, but are definetly worth it, and you don't have to worry about a hydraulic system freezing up like a steering cable thru lack of maintnence. When you take the boat out tell me, I'd like to hear what it runs!

Here's a good example of why you should have good steering. This is what can happen if your single cable breaks. This boat actually had dual cable but the steering conector bolt broke I remember.

Hydraulic steering is a completly diffrent system, It has a hyd helm at the wheel, hoses run to the engine and there is a hyd cylender on the engine that controls your steering. Hyd steering has almost no feed back and torque steer so it is much safer but you do give up some feel and tightness.
Dual cable doubles your safety and helps counter act feedback and torque steer, at your hourse power I'd stick with dual cable.

F150GT

Attachments

• bad steering 1.jpg
    bad steering 1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 48
thanks. I think I'll go with the teleflex dual cable system. I'll be sure to let you know how it runs but might be a while - snow has got to melt.

I sorted out all the parts I need for the teleflex dual cable system (SS152) but I still require a new tiller for the motor because it was set up for a single cable. The motor is an evinrude 175 from 1981. BRP and teleflex both provide a dual tiller for that motor but not that far back. Any ideas? If I can't find the tiller the only thing I can think of is hydraulic but it's not really in the budget.

i took my dual cable off, it sucked, too tight and restrictive, an i have have 240hp engine. I think single is fine and safe as long as you are careful, don't go 60 mhp anywhere near a shore line, JMO. Hyrdaulic is the best by far, all the power, all the response, all the safety, just expensive.

i'm running a 200 hp merc on a 21 foot starfilte. i have a single cable setup and seems to work fine.. at higher speeds you need to hang on and me safe but that is for any boat at high speeds. i'm sticking with my single cable setup just cause it seems to me that you don't gain much unless you go w/ hydro! also don't run high speeds close to shore!!!!:bigthumb:

Guys, the dual cable setup is a big safety issue. Two reasons:

A properly adjusted dual cable system holds the motor better, which provides quicker steering response and much less chine walk. Steering slop cannot be adjusted out of the system with a single cable, that's only possible to do with dual cables. Yes there's more steering resistance, but that helps build stronger fore-arms :)

Second is breakage. It's rare, but there have been a few instances of a cable breakage on high performance boats, and having the second cable there as a safety back-up is huge. If you're running a single cable at speeds above plane and it breaks, you WILL do an immediate hard turn. The faster you're going, the worse it gets.

Remember, as the captain of your ship, you are held 100% liable if ANYONE gets hurt while you're operating your vessel. Who wants to face a Million Dollar law-suit because they saved $200 on steering?

I would go with the duel cable set up. Have a look around the net. I am sure you will be able to find the adapter for the second cable. I will have a look around and see what I can find.

if you guys can get me some info on this i will look into it- yet i'm not yet convinced that i will gain much!!?? if it was the right price and not that hard to install you might be able to convince me.... my steering is tight right now due to torque not chine walk and if it would help w/ that it might be worth it... send me a link:D

I would go with the duel cable set up. Have a look around the net. I am sure you will be able to find the adapter for the second cable. I will have a look around and see what I can find.

Hey thanks for taking the time to help. From reading the advice from you guys I am a believer in an alternative to the single cable. I spent a lot of time today online looking for a dual tiller and I called a lot of parts dealers but they all said it would be a needle in a haystack. I have since ordered the hydraulic system cause it's cheaper than a new outboard.

good idea, hyrdaulic is the best, dual cable is safer, but so is not driving fast in the first place. If i ever see a good price on a used hydraulic system i will snatch it up.

Back