• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mercury Water pump problems

130 lbs for a used motor is a tad too high. Either his tester is inaccurate, or the heads were shaved for more compression. Nothing wrong with shaved heads, as long as they're done properly. And 130 lbs isn't so much compression that you'd have to run higher octage. I'd guess his tester is off or he didn't really test it and was just guessing.

Question is why were the heads off. Ask the dealer, see what he tells you. If the heads were off, then an expensive set of head gaskets would have been used to re-install the heads. If the old gaskets were used, it's possible you have a leak.

130 lbs for a used motor is a tad too high. Either his tester is inaccurate, or the heads were shaved for more compression. Nothing wrong with shaved heads, as long as they're done properly. And 130 lbs isn't so much compression that you'd have to run higher octage. I'd guess his tester is off or he didn't really test it and was just guessing.

Question is why were the heads off. Ask the dealer, see what he tells you. If the heads were off, then an expensive set of head gaskets would have been used to re-install the heads. If the old gaskets were used, it's possible you have a leak.

JW I asked that question when I found out the heads were replaced. I was told that the previous owner probably would lie about it if he was asked.

I'm getting ready to do a compression check here in the few minutes. I had to wait for the neighbors to wake up.:D

130 PSI is the correct compression for a 200 EFI. Mine runs between 130-135 and it is a bone stock original 1992.
The dealer will have a record of whatever work they did on the motor. But there is definitely something wrong in your cooling system. Could be a blockage somewhere. Could even be pieces of that impeller...and that is gong to be a challenge to figure out.
I hear Smallblockford on the exhaust gas thing...and it is possible, but not as likely because if there is water to that impeller it will pump water somewhere...into the midsection, anywhere...the engine will overheat but the impeller will survive. I still think that motor was run out off the water. If it happened before you got it then the dealer neglected to check it. Sending a motor out the door with a bad impeller is like selling a car with an empty crankcase.
Why would it show up now? If the impeller was bad it was not getting enough water and every time it ran it would do more damage and eventually quit running altogether. But do a quick compression test and if it checks out then you're probably OK and you need to look elsewhere.

Thanks Mark. Here are some pics of the heads.

Attachments

• 107_0792.JPG
    107_0792.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 107_0794.JPG
    107_0794.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 107_0793.JPG
    107_0793.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 34
On the bright side...nice to hear you are out trying to boat. Last night was the coldest night of the year here in Winnipeg with a windchill of MINUS 52 degrees. We can drive our cars on our lake if we want...but only for the next 3 months till the 4' thick ice melts!

On the bright side...nice to hear you are out trying to boat. Last night was the coldest night of the year here in Winnipeg with a windchill of MINUS 52 degrees. We can drive our cars on our lake if we want...but only for the next 3 months till the 4' thick ice melts!

man that's nuts!!!! To cold for me.

Here isthe compression test looking from the back of the boat facing the motor. left side top to bottom: 125,125,125 right side top to bottom:125,130,130. Is this good?

Oh btw if this isn't enough i got pushed into the dock between the current and some guy w/ a boat going too fast thru the no wake zone. This is while trying to load the boat. looked at it this morning i've got a bad crack in the top gelcoat. I'll post pics later of that in the fiberglass forum.:mad:

Perhaps there are bits of old impeller lodged somewhere in the cooling system.

I had that happen on one of my old punts once.

ok guys i've got the LU removed. The water tube was still in place. The key that sits next to the shaft to hold the impellor in place is ok. I can turn the shaft and the impellor moves. Here are some pics of the water pump/impellor is this normal?

Attachments

• 107_0799.jpg
    107_0799.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 107_0800.jpg
    107_0800.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 108_0801.jpg
    108_0801.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 47
that thing is junk. could you have some blockage going to the pump??? it got hot, even if you had blockage after the pump, i would think the pump would not burn up like that.

Well that impeller is done from the looks of things.

From the picture it looks like it's breaking up.

To me it looks like the motor was started dry and it burnt up the impeller.

Did someone fire it up out of the water or without a hose and muff on it?

Or is there a blockage in the water passages running to the pump itself?

Try looking at this thread from another forum.

It shows the steps and parts.

Maybe it will help.

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/sho...91911/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/93/fpart/1

she is junk all right your compression sounds fine.

water pump probs
i have had one brand new spin the inner hard plastic when it got under a load blade looked perfect shaft spun impeller didnt

i have seen them have blocage in the tube or peices of blade stuck in places before and after the water pump

have seen the white tube come off and blow up the copper tube.

have seen moters suck up a plastic bag and burn up impeller, clear ice bags are cute

take a flash light look up in the tuner and make sure were the copper tube is that that upper plasic housing is in good shape.

you didnt happen to start it out of water any did you it only takes less than 45 seconds with the small bladed impeller to do damage to it.

when you are putting the new one in turn shaft clockwise while you are putting the housing down that sets the blades in the right durection also
if you turn it the wrong way the blades will be set the wrong way if it sat and then you fired it up it could do damage

hope you find it
good luck

Well that impeller is done from the looks of things.

From the picture it looks like it's breaking up.

To me it looks like the motor was started dry and it burnt up the impeller.

Did someone fire it up out of the water or without a hose and muff on it?

Or is there a blockage in the water passages running to the pump itself?

Try looking at this thread from another forum.

It shows the steps and parts.

Maybe it will help.

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/sho...91911/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/93/fpart/1

No. The motor was always hooked up to a water hose/muff. What I do remember is after the installation the water starting coming out of the telltale then quit again. That's when i found out i had a bad t-stat. So i installed two new ones. Again the water was coming out of the telltale then it just quit yesterday at the river. Is it possible to have a defected water pump/impellor?

I don't think the thermostat issue would burn up the impeller.

I'm no tech....

but to me it looks like it wasn't getting water from the bottom end...

or...

it might have had the blades set backwards which caused it to burn up from the friction.

you can not put the pump together wrong unless you leave out the key

direction on instalation makes no difference
oil change pumps use the same type impeller and they run either direction to
drain or fill the motor

i would guess the dealer is at fault here
when you replaced the t-stats did you find any black chunks?

get a new w\p kit with a new housing

daren

you can not put the pump together wrong unless you leave out the key

direction on instalation makes no difference
oil change pumps use the same type impeller and they run either direction to
drain or fill the motor

i would guess the dealer is at fault here
when you replaced the t-stats did you find any black chunks?

get a new w\p kit with a new housing

daren

Daren i found no black chunks when i replaced the t-stats. This baffles me. I've checked everything that's been suggested nothing out of the ordinary. I've got the LU off and my wife is taking it to merc dealer here locally tomorrow. Not the same one I bought the boat from. Just wondering could i've gotten a bad water pump?

Wow, that impeller looks 10 years old. It would not do that unless it wasn't getting water. You should be able to poke around and see if you have a clear path from the intake holes to the pump housing. If it has never been run W/O water, then my guess is there is a blockage to the pump.
Compression sounds fine though...good news!

Hey guys is it possible that the water pump is bad or maybe the lower part in the gearcase? If the shaft is turning the impellor while it's idling then I've got blockage in the foot, right? Another words i'm not drawing water from the LU. If i'm wrong on this please correct me.

Back