• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Crack in the gelcoat

Rob B

Staff member
Ok guys so if any of you have been following my water pump/cranking issues this is what happen yesterday loading my boat. So here it goes yesterday w/ the water pump problem I was in the mist of loading my boat on the trailer a guy to my left was launching his boat. While all of that is going on the current is pulling really strong and a guy goes by in the no wake zone kicking a nice wake.

The alarm goes off the the motor shuts off as i'm maneuvering to load on the trailer. I hit the corner of the dock and this what i get to compound my problems.:( Kind of hard to see since it's black but i have a nice crack in the top of the boat.

Attachments

• 107_0798.jpg
    107_0798.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 108
Coop can help you fix it. Get some black gel from CMate and just fill that in. Not in a structural area right? I got a good scratch from boat/boat contact on my black Pulse when I was rescuing a sail boater. No good deed goes unpunished :poke:

Coop can help you fix it. Get some black gel from CMate and just fill that in. Not in a structural area right? I got a good scratch from boat/boat contact on my black Pulse when I was rescuing a sail boater. No good deed goes unpunished :poke:

Jw that's on the top next to the hand rail. Thanks!!!! Hey coop can you help me with this? I post more pictures if need be.

Great find. I would say it would work. A light sand and buff and would look like new.
Sounds like a "how to" article.

I agree.
Not sure if west marine has the small metal flake, but I would see if you can find some. This way you can mix a bit in with the gel to match the hull.

That would be a long drive for me to fix it. And without the correct gel its going to look like a patch job anyway. Checkmates not going to have that anymore. And, yes there is more than one shade of black. That patch kit should do a good job. I'd check around for someone local that could do the repair. The cracks look a bit deeper than just the gelcoat. That black has clear on it too. Clear from the factory.

That would be a long drive for me to fix it. And without the correct gel its going to look like a patch job anyway. Checkmates not going to have that anymore. And, yes there is more than one shade of black. That patch kit should do a good job. I'd check around for someone local that could do the repair. The cracks look a bit deeper than just the gelcoat. That black has clear on it too. Clear from the factory.

Thanks for the tip and advice Coop!!!! I've used a guy locally before that does an excellent job with fiberglass repair. I'll let him look at it before I decide to do it. And yes it's a deep crack, I hit the dock pretty hard.

Coop I looked at that crack in the gelcoat again. It's not as deep as I first thought. I also checked from underneath and didn't see any cracks. Would that Gel patch kit work and is there any particular way that you would repair the crack?

Thanks,

ideas for filling the crack.

cmpulse, do a search on youtube.com for fiberglass reapir & gelcoat. there atleast 10 videos. Watch them, it will give you a great idea of how to begin.

There was a video on gelcoat repair, 2 parts, part of one show how to repair stress cracks. They actually make the crack deeper, like a " V " shape. States its easier fro the gelcoat to adhere because of increased surface area.

I am no expert, and new to fiberglass repair myself. But after watching those videos i feel much more capable of repairing my issues myself.

Take care

cmpulse, do a search on youtube.com for fiberglass reapir & gelcoat. there atleast 10 videos. Watch them, it will give you a great idea of how to begin.

There was a video on gelcoat repair, 2 parts, part of one show how to repair stress cracks. They actually make the crack deeper, like a " V " shape. States its easier fro the gelcoat to adhere because of increased surface area.

I am no expert, and new to fiberglass repair myself. But after watching those videos i feel much more capable of repairing my issues myself.

Take care

Marc thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Take care

If its the one I'm thinking of, I actually bought the DVD's that the guy made. He's real good, and explains things very well.

It should be easy enough to do yourself.

Chip off anything thats already flaking.
tape off the area.
sand it all to an even plane.
Mix some west system 406 Colloidal Silica in your black gel.
fill the area. Wait till it kicks
sand the area again with 220 until smooth and even
paint on your gelcoat (w/ out 406)
You might have to wetsand and polish the area to blend it in better.

your repair should come out very nice. Black is easy to blend unlike white.:bigthumb:
post some pics of the repair
hope this helps
Geoff

It should be easy enough to do yourself.

Chip off anything thats already flaking.
tape off the area.
sand it all to an even plane.
Mix some west system 406 Colloidal Silica in your black gel.
fill the area. Wait till it kicks
sand the area again with 220 until smooth and even
paint on your gelcoat (w/ out 406)
You might have to wetsand and polish the area to blend it in better.

your repair should come out very nice. Black is easy to blend unlike white.:bigthumb:
post some pics of the repair
hope this helps
Geoff

BP thanks for the info. I've got that gelcoat repair kit from Overton's it should be here tomorrow. I was going to try that first.​

Back