• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HPDI YAMAHA

rowdy1

Due to the fact I bought my wife a new Tahoe, I have been cleared by her to begin looking for a new outboard. She also hates to go anywhere in the starliner w/ V8 power becouse I always have to take a bucket of tools we me. (just in case) Is anyone running A new 250 or 300 HPDI yamaha

From what I read over on s&f they are quite slower then the Mercs. Have you considered the Etec 250 H.O.? Supposed to be close to 275hp.

I thought the big c.u. of the yami might be good for a heavier boat. I know several people w/ big mecurys, it seems like they work on them as much as I work on my V8. And those are fairly new motors. I love RUDES but I really want another 300hp.

I belive if you wait another few months that the 300 hp Etec is supposed to be out. From what I understand, it is going to be reveiled at the Miami Boat show this month.

Is anybody on the board running an E-TEC ? And if so, how fast & how many problems have you had? The main reason I thought about a yami, is becouse they seam to have fewer problems & I have never seen a boat with an E-TEC on it fast enough to come past me.

Food for thought...We have hosted several bass tournaments @ our resort in the last few years. Plenty of Rangers and Skeeters and Mercs and Yamahas ( 225 and 250 HPDI's) rigged to run to the max. And they do or their owners wouldn't have them have them for long. They all need to be competitive and these aren't guys ( and gals) with bigtime time sponsors. They're just like you and me...They want the most bang for the buck performance -wise.

Now if you have ever vacationed in the Carribean or Mexico one thing you'll notice ( at least where I've been) is that all the resorts run Yamahas. Why? well there isn't a dealer on every corner and for the most part and...THEY DON'T BREAK. AT ALL!. They run day-in and day out in saltwater by local natives who beat the crap out them. And they aren't traded in every year either. ( maybe every 5??)

Throw a 350 Verado from Merc racing on her. They're estimating about 380Hp. Not to much heavier than what you got now with a few xtra ponies.

In the B&W Boats shootout the 250 Hpdi out performed the 250 Merc in every aspect (holeshot, economy, top end)when alowed to spin over the recommended max of 5500 RPM (which Yamaha has now raised to 6000).
In a seperate article the 300 HPDI on the other hand only dynoed at about 265 HP and lagged behind the Merc. That may be because the 250 HPDI and 300 HPDI are virtually the same motor with different decals.
If you are looking for maximum raw horsepower, you should probably be thinking Merc Racing. If a superior outboard in a 250 is what you are looking for...Yamaha all the way baby!

I have all the raw horse power you will ever need in an outboard w/ my V8! I want to be able to go fast & not have to pull the powerhead every 90 days.

Very cool, great deal to. Jump on it.

So thats were I messed up. I bought my wife a Nissan Versa and I got an old V6 Merc. Next time I need to buy her a Tahoe so I can get a new 300hp.

Belive me, I didnt want to buy her a tahoe,I was basically forced at gunpoint--the motor is sort of a concession prize.

Rowdy,

The E-tec 250 H.O.is out now and it does indeed rate at 275PHP. The 225 H.O. is Bad A$$ enough. I can't wait to run a 250. You've never seen an E-tec pass you because you've never seen one on a Mate yet. I've got an 08 2000 Pulsare here on the lot that we rigged with a 225H.O. and can't wait till the weather breaks so we can get er' wet and dial her in. We're looking for low 80's, but we're going to have to search for a prop I'm afraid. Don't think a 26 Raker II is gonna get us there. My prop calculator shows that prop running 76 on the limiter. May have to take a hammer to it and massage it a bit LOL!

J

Oh and FYI, the 300 Yami is a great engine,but they ARE soft...VERY soft. The 250 H.O. should BLOW past the Yami on the same hull.

J

could you run a 27p or 29p 4 blade shooter prop? Or even an aver the hub prop like a srx. If its bad enough to swing a 29p srx or mazco I'll buy one.

I'm just guessing about the 26 Raker II not geting there, but I DO have some good test data to stand behind that. Ran a 225H.O. on a bass boat hull back in 05. Was twisting a 26 Raker II at 6100 and running 76.3 on GPS. Another 50RPM and I'm on the limiter. The new Raker II series props are VERY agressive and actually will come out 2" taller on a pitch block. So in theory, when you're using that prop on a calculator, you have to put it in as being a 28" prop. That's what I did on my calculator and I STILL only got 76MPH. I've checked this calculator against "real world" numbers after running several boats, and have only found it to be .8 off at best. We all know the 2000 Pulsare is capable of 80+ with 250HP, which is what the 225 H.O. puts out at the prop. That's one STRONG engine. Ran the same hull mentioned above with a 225 ProXS merc, and it would only pull a 27 Tempest to 5800. 2.4MPH slower too. I'm just gonna have to get a baseline run and go from there. Can't wait!! I'll post results when we get er' wet!

J

Oh sorry....to answer your question about the shooter? This engine will twist a shooter to pieces. That prop was really built for the old cross-flow engines. The Renegade is the prop for the loopers. It's got better rake and alot better cup. I've got a 27 here hidden on the shelf waiting for this boat. I'll try it just to see what it does. I'm thinking from all the chatter on here, that we're going to end up with "somebody's" 4-blade prop to keep it settled down. I'll be able to drive it, but the guy that buys it needs to be able to drive it too. I'm no "super pro race boat driver", but I've pushed many customers boats beyond what they've ever been able to get out of them.
One other thing you need to think about Rowdy, is the rigging with a different brand engine. I know it's a drop in the bucket when you consider the cost of a new engine, but all you'll need to re-power with the E-tec is a conversion harness to take your main "red plug" harness to the new style deutch connectors, and a system check harness and gauge. Hook up your existing shift/throttle cables, bolt her down and let her eat!! Remember......no break-in with the E-tec. Actually there is a break-in, but it's from the ramp to the end of the "no wake" zone. Then........GIDDY UP!!!

J

It sounds like you are my new (go to guy) when it comes to e-tecs. Are there any obvious problems that come up with these motors, or have they worked them out? I.E.--the cowling wont explode 100 ft in the air when you turn the key on like the fast strikes & ocean runners.

Terrific post(s) Wide Open. The most detailed info that I've seen regarding the E-tecs on this board. They are very strong motors from what I've seen up here but have not observed many performance applications. Very anxious to see what your #'s will be!

Back