• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

foam and more foam

ross

just got done pulling about 50#'s of foam out of the nose of the boat! you want to talk about grose!!!!! stinky stuff! glad that one is done!!!!

i have heard about people doing that, is that only something that can be done when replacing some floor? or can you reach it from some kind of access hole?

if you look under the play pen towards the front of the boat- there is a wall about 4 feet from the front. behing that wall is solid sprayed in foam. it gets wet and pretty heavy as i noted before! it took me about 3 hours to get it all out! i actually riped the wall right out! i'm going to have to either paint it are replace it with a light weight new wall! it is very very nasty so if you don't think the foam is wet-don't do it!!!! my boat is an 87 so i figured it was time!

just got done pulling about 50#'s of foam out of the nose of the boat! you want to talk about grose!!!!! stinky stuff! glad that one is done!!!!
So now that it is out, what are you going to replace it with?

there ya go he nailed it!!!!!!!! less weight the better.......even with the women-oops can i say that?:thumb:

Now I learned something today!

My 18' Exciter doesn't have the foam in the nose, but here's what I found below my floor.

Attachments

• floor rot 4.jpg
    floor rot 4.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 74
  • floor rot 5.jpg
    floor rot 5.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 57
  • floor rot 6.jpg
    floor rot 6.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 60
I cut a 14"x20" opening in the bulkhead and dug the foam out thru there then put a door on it and store all my extra life jackets up there, I figure thel work as a little flotation and I like to have plenty on board incase I pick up extra people.
F150GT

Here's what it looked like after removal. I had done no grinding at this point. The dark spots are stains that were easily ground away. Core is all good.

Attachments

• floor rot 7.jpg
    floor rot 7.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 35
  • floor rot 8.jpg
    floor rot 8.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 39
  • floor rot 9.jpg
    floor rot 9.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 30
The foam was actually in decent shape. It was causing drainage issues by trapping water, however so I opted to remove it completely. Plus, I went back together with a double stringer system with 3 bulkheads. The new system ties into the transom where Checkmate had originally stopped the single stringer about 6" short of the transom and installed the only bulkhead in the boat. The floor, stringers and bulkhead were all little more than mulch and fit in a single garbage can. I also had a similar problem in the rear corner flotation boxes. The foam was wet, but could have been driead, but the wooden box structure itself was rotted to about 6" above the floor. I cut it out and will fab up new 1 1/2" knees out of the same "coosa board" material I have already used in the stringers and floor panel. These pics show a test fit of the coosa stringers.

Attachments

• stringers 001.jpg
    stringers 001.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 46
  • stringers 002.jpg
    stringers 002.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 45
  • stringers and floor 003.jpg
    stringers and floor 003.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 46
do the newer boats have this foam in them as well i have a 2005 2100br pulsare and was wondering if ther is foam in it aas well.

i dont think the pulsars have it in the bow. the starflights have alot and gets wet from the front eye bolt leaking over the years.

do the newer boats have this foam in them as well i have a 2005 2100br pulsare and was wondering if ther is foam in it aas well.

I was wondering the same thing, I have 2000 2100 br. Got about a foot of water in it one day, Don't ask. And was wondering if any water logging has taken place.

The only boats that I see get foam nowadays is the 1600 and the 1850 everything else seems to be foam free.

I was wondering the same thing, I have 2000 2100 br. Got about a foot of water in it one day, Don't ask. And was wondering if any water logging has taken place.

I just got delivry of my new 09 pulsare 2100 LD..I have quite a few pics from the factory of my boat being built,and no foam anywere...

Back