• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

350 Motor Mounts

Turbot-bird

Anyone have any pictures of there engine bay with a 350 in it? I have to rebuild my mounts for the 470 and while im there I want to put some in for a 350 if I decide to switch later in the Diplomat.

Had I saw this last week when my engine was out, I could photographed and measured the whole thing. I will see what I can so this weekend.

V8 uses side mounts and requires you to build stringers to set the motor on
We took out the flotation boxes and built stringers out from transom

V8 uses side mounts and requires you to build stringers to set the motor on
We took out the flotation boxes and built stringers out from transom

ya, thats why I am asking for pictures so I can add them in. Im redoing the stringers anyway so might as well make it so it will take a v8 down the road. How much did it sit lower without the float boxes?

3.7l alpha(170, 190,165, 185, 470) is the big block of the 4cyl world. 227 ci, 460 cyl head, 460 pistons, custom crank, huge rods, custom cast aluminum block, 450 lift cam
up to 190hp with 4bbl carb option. pushes Daren34's 19' eluder to 52 mph with a 21p mirage ski prop and makes 3 trips to the lake to ski on one tank

I can send you some of the 4.3 in mine (88 model) if you like... it's getting a 383 next week or so once I get the last couple pieces of the exhaust set-up together and make sure i have everything else lined up so I dont have to stay off the wayer for too long. I'll only have to add new blocks 4 inches further forward of the 4.3 mounts, the rest is the same for v6 and v8. Although I'm pretty sure that there weren't any stock diplomats with a v8... which seems somewhat surprising to me with the hull design...

These should help... sorry about all the crap in the way, they were taken the day my basket case home last year and before I put the current engine in it... they show the mounts for the 4.3 and the way the engine compartment is laid out. the smaller blocks that the mounts themselves are attached to would need to be 4" further forward for a 350...

cheers!

Attachments

• engine compartment as was.jpg
    engine compartment as was.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 16
  • engine compartment as was 2.jpg
    engine compartment as was 2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 17
thats exactly what I needed thanks. How tall are they to the bottom of the mount where it bolts to the boat if you dont mind me asking?

I can send you some of the 4.3 in mine (88 model) if you like... it's getting a 383 next week or so once I get the last couple pieces of the exhaust set-up together and make sure i have everything else lined up so I dont have to stay off the wayer for too long.
What are you going to use for exhaust? thru-hull?
the v-8 with iron manifolds int&exh is only 100lbs heavier than the v6 so alum int & exh should actually be lighter
what engine spec's on 383?

What are you going to use for exhaust? thru-hull?
the v-8 with iron manifolds int&exh is only 100lbs heavier than the v6 so alum int & exh should actually be lighter
what engine spec's on 383?

my v-6 had aluminum intake, but factory exhaust, the 383 has a aluminum intake and exhaust - I wanted to keep the weight about the same and up the power a bit. I'm adding an oil cooler and some other things that'll put some weight back in. For exhaust I scored a set of IMCO Power Flow's and like we were talking about on the other page, am going to run some kind of open mufflers. Right now the plan is to come out above the rub rail about 18" outboard of where your exhaust does.

Back