• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Glued my transom in a little crooked

Old Hickory

Got the new transom glued in and was able to use the clamps I made. Trouble is it went in crooked. Got one side in about 3/4" higher than the other:mad: Got a call from my oldest son to pick him up at church this afternoon.....just as I was trowelling my glue on the skin:irked:. Stuck the transom; in clamped her down and went to get him. When I got back; I noticed the difference in height. The PL Premium was already set and buddy, that stuff won't budge:) I don't think it will be a problem. I'll bed the gap w/ glue and glass over. Thats what happens when you get in a hurry. I'll be posting the clamps and glue up later this evening.

I'd be interested in any suggestions or opinions; anyone think it will be a huge issue?

Hick

So true!

It leads one to ask "would a loving Creator have really allowed this to happen?"

Hick,
Structually you'll be just fine. :thumb:I would do what you mention earlier, fill the gap and then glass over it. Once that's done only you will know about the gap, if it bothers you tear it out and redo the transom. Personally I wouldn't worry about the gap as long as it's sealed from water. Just remember not everything is built square unless you've got top notch builders and even they can't get something perfectly square.:)

You guys are are crackin me up:lol:

I'm regular church goer myself; My oldest had to stay the biggest part of the afternoon due to a short film he has a part in. The real question is; why didn't I just take an extra few minutes to make sure the thing was lined up correctly? The good Lord gave me brain and I should've used it.

Good news out of all this is the clamps were superb:banana: as soon as I put the boys to bed I'll be posting pics to my blog; and in my "transom clamp" post.

compulse170;

thanks man; made me feel better about my decision to leave it alone. You're right, once I glass over no one will be the wiser except me and everyone who reads this post.:D

Hick

yea youll be all set as long as you fill the gap, glad to hear youre making progress, throwing the transom in was a stressful part for me, a relief to have it done though

TH2,

thanks, I spoke w/ Kip Combs today to inquire about the bedding compound they use. He said it wasn't anything special; just auto body filler. They buy theirs from Detroit Body Filler(DBF). It's a polyester based filler and I can't get it here in nashville; but can get Bondo; which is also polyester based. I'll be looking some of the Bondo products over, down at O'Reilly's this evening.

Once I get the gaps filled I'll take a few pics and post all this stuff soon. My dial up was really slow last night and couldn't get pics to load.:brickwall: I'll try again tonight.

Hick

OldHickory, I think if you get the regular bondo autobody stuff its pretty similar to what they used from the factory. I would shy away from the marine bondo stuff they sell though, I used some of it along the edges of my floor since I was out of the polyester putty I got at mertons and it was way harder to work with and the fibers were too long and made it all globby and I didnt get it how I wanted it at all. Maybe look into ordering some of the polyester stuff from mertons, they ship really fast so you might be able to get it in two days out there. Thats what I used to bed my transom and fill any spots everywhere else, it was fantastic to work with and easy to use and sand afterwards as needed, and felt strong as hell, I used that stuff to make a nice round edge between the hull and transom that made the glass work there pretty easy.

Keep up the good work man!

TH2,

Good advice; I was wondering about the stuff w/ glass in it. I'm probably going to use the regular bondo. OReilly's has two different brands; I'm not sure about the other. I'll look them over here in a few minutes. I'm on my way out the door as soon as I finish here. Thanks again.

Hick

Good information here guys. Hick keep up the good work, take your time you'll be done soon.:thumb:

Here's the skinny on body fillers. DBF(Detroit) and Bondo are identical in almost all respects. This was eye opening for me.

Their ingredients are:

Polyester resin
Titanium dioxide
Talc
Silica
Glass microsphere's
Hardener: Dibenzoyl Peroxide(red in color-this what gives all of them the pink hue)

DBF has automotive; marine; RV and construction applications.
Bondo has automotive; marine; home and construction applications

Bondo is marketed under a number of names and is owned by 3M. This is a quote from the 3M website:

About Bondo

BONDO manufactures and markets automotive body repair, household repair and marine products under the BONDO, MAR-HYDE, BONDO HOME SOLUTIONS, DYNATRON, MARSON, LAMINEX and BONDO MARINE brand names. Our extensive product line has over seven hundred items including adhesive kits, body fillers and putties, fiberglass repair products, paint removers, plastic repair products, rivets, spray paints, super glue, home repair kits, undercoatings, vinyl/fabric colors, paint removers, paint hardeners and catalysts, clearcoats, primer surfacers, solvents, bumper and trim products, aerosol spray paints, undercoatings, plastic repair materials and rust converters. BONDO products are distributed through mass merchandisers, automotive parts retailers and jobbers. They are exported to more than 100 countries. MAR-HYDE, DYNATRON and MARSON products are targeted to the more than 60,000 body shops throughout North America. BONDO traffic control loop sealing compounds are marketed to local governments for use when installing traffic signals at intersections. LAMINEX products and compounds are sold to fiberglass distributors and OEM boat builders. BONDO MARINE repair products are distributed via marine supply outlets. BONDO HOME SOLUTIONS household products are found in home improvement, hardware, paint and sundry retailers nationwide.

Trademarks
BODY LIGHT, BONDO®, BRI-TOP®, CHIP STOP, DYNALITE®, DYNATRON, HOME SOLUTIONS®, MAR-HYDE, MARSON, ONE-STEP®, PLATINUM, PUTTY COTE, QUICK FIX®, SCREAMERS®, SINGLE STAGE, SPRAY SANDPAPER, TAL-STRIP®, TOTAL PREP®, TRUCK GUARDTM, ULTIMATE, ULTRALITE, WHITE FILL, WHITE LIGHTNIN', YELLOW FILL

I've also included some attachment pics of several Bondo trademark fillers.

I decided to use Dynatron Dynalite because it was cheaper than Bondo.

I hope this helps any decision anyone may have when choosing a filler. Just pick one(preferably the cheaper:D); Most are virtually identical and some will probably come from the same Mfg.:thumb:

Attachments

• 264.jpg
    264.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 494.jpg
    494.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 01179.jpg
    01179.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1
Hick,
Did you ever finish the transom? Got any new pictures for us? :)

Almost; just finished putting the body filler in yesterday; took almost a whole gallon to fill. Will probably sand and touch up over the next few days. Keeping my fingers crossed I'll be glassing it in this weekend. And pics? I have a whole desktop full of em. Just need to find the time to post.:D

Hick

:banana:

keep it going!!!!

Glassing the transom in was really rewarding. Its nice to be able to work behind the boat and not worry that if you trip youll go through the old transom skin

Back