• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The system is coming together!!

illMATTic

I scored myself some power. As I said before in an earlier post, I figure it will cost waaaay to much to go as fast as I want to so I decided to go loud. :devil:

I picked up this Kicker KX700.5 5 channel amp for pennies. I also have a set of Pioneer 12's my brother is donating. Its got plenty of power to run 4 6.5"'s and the two subs.

I plan on putting the subs under the bow on either side. right in front of the storage compartments. The 6.5's will go in the rear of those storage comps. and two will go in the front of the back seat.

Oh man I can't wait!!

G2SM06ecb9f7-2c37-41a3-9513-422791e.jpg

carefull- your batteries wont charge with the o/b and i have had that prob with my boat!!!!! i had to go with smaller subs so i could get home with power!!!:cheers:poke:

I hear ya ross. I have a second battery. I will also set up an isolater. If I have to, I will upgrade to a 40 amp charging system.

Thats the mind set I had yrs ago.Duallies are a must.I went with 6x9ers under the rear bench.And a moveable speaker box under the box under the bow.
I was told I've pretty much used up all the power from the amp on the speaks.And 2nd amp would be needed to drive a sub.So no sub.
But anyway, I find if I DON"T pull out my speaker box a the beach or on a raft off all the music gets trapped down inside of the boat. The wife says I look a damn hillbilly doing that.(sorry red).But It sounds great with it out and with a good set of music everyone around seems to enjoy it.
i.e. throwing some horse shoes,football or a frisbee
setting around a bonfire
just soaking up the rays

Its beats the alternative (pic2)

wheres summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 131.JPG
    131.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I hear ya ross. I have a second battery. I will also set up an isolater. If I have to, I will upgrade to a 40 amp charging system.

i used to have 2 batteries and i killed them both at the beach one day! now i carry a third that's not hooked up just so i know i can get home and i don't have to worry about it while i'm sucking down some cold ones:cheers what are you using for subs? right now i've got 2 JL 10's that are in the boat and i have 2
directed 10's in my truck but the amp in the boat won't push them:brickwall:

I must have missed this thread...

As I stated in the "What's your boat getting this winter" thread, I have a set of 12" subs that are dieing to get wet (speaking figuratively!)

I only plan to install one of the 12's with a 900W amp.

I think the "car style" alternator on the 300XS should keep up...No?

I had MAJOR charging issues when running even a decent system off of my 2.4L Bridge Port with the old style charging system.

I figure that one 12" will give me some added thump, be fairly light, and keep me from installing two batteries.

Any thoughts???

I think those 300xs are pushing an 80 amp system. you should be fine. do you have a deep cycle starting battery?

hotdaddy27,I have a Sony 50x4 head unit and a 900w amp running 4-6x9's 2-6.5's and a 10" sub.I have had no problems with one Batt.
I'm not trying to start the batt. debate again,but I use a Optima yellow top.There kinda made for that type of abuse.
I've let my stereo play for long periods of time while we hang out on the beach.No problems so far.:thumb:So I think you would be OK,and one 12" sub will sound good.:D

Oh, and I always keep a battery tender on when not in use.

hotdaddy27,I have a Sony 50x4 head unit and a 900w amp running 4-6x9's 2-6.5's and a 10" sub.I have had no problems with one Batt.
I'm not trying to start the batt. debate again,but I use a Optima yellow top.There kinda made for that type of abuse.
I've let my stereo play for long periods of time while we hang out on the beach.No problems so far.:thumb:So I think you would be OK,and one 12" sub will sound good.:D

Check16 where did you put all those speakers at?

illMATTic,your system will sound great.Thats a nice amp.Good luck.
cmpulse170,Heres what I did.The sub mount is hinged so I can still access the bow.
BOAT003.jpg
BOAT004.jpg
These really help get the sound up out of the boat when were just hanging out.The bow mounted sub provides plenty of bass.
BOAT001.jpg
BOAT007-1.jpg

Check16 that makes sense now. I've got two under the bench seat and two under the bow seats. I might need to rearrange the front two like yours.

oh man i cant wait to get this going. I better start looking for a 40 amp stator system tonight. i like to turn it up and i know ill end up running the battery down.

I had the Optima Blue Top (Pretty much identical to a Yellow Top) when I had my 280ROS. Then when I got my 300XS, Mercury REQUIRED that I run there Heavy Duty Starting Battery (1000CCA). Pretty much a ploy to get me to spend more $$$$, but I didn't want any warranty issues. They specifically said not to run a deep cycle (or dual cycle) battery with the 300XS electrical system. (I don't 100% get it or believe it)

Either way they are both great batteries, although I have always had great luck with the Optima's.

Sounds like Charging/longevity should not be an issue. :cheers

I always keep my battery on a the tender as well!:thumb:

I think those 300xs are pushing an 80 amp system. you should be fine. do you have a deep cycle starting battery?

60AMP, but I think it should still maintain.

The Smartcraft gauges give you a digital read-out of the system voltage, so I keep my eye on it when JAMMING anyway!!!!!!!

On another note:

Is there any reason not to mount a sub with the magnet facing the floor? Meaning the face of the sub is toward the sky. With the constant impact from hitting other wakes, could it cause premature failure of the speaker construction?

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks.

HD

Last edited:
if you have a starting battery only and you run it even half dead more than a couple times it will decrease the life of the battery dramatically.

as far as the sub orientation, I have never in my years read anything about pre-mature failure due to orientation.

matt

if you have a starting battery only and you run it even half dead more than a couple times it will decrease the life of the battery dramatically...

Yeah I know.....that was the primary reason that I was hesitant to give up my Optima. I run them in all of my toys, and they have been flawless (under some serious abuse). Mercury won that battle.

I will have to keep a close eye on the volts....that simple (although it sucks)

Thanks for the info. :bigthumb:

HD27

I have a yellow top that I purchased for my big car stereo 12 years ago. its been a starting battery 10 of those years. to this day it still beats any standard battery i have ever owned.

Well I just sealed a deal to trade my 16 amp system for a 40 amp system. :bounce:
I will have to modify the top cap on the engine a bit to fit the larger stator. BUT, I will have more power for the tunes!!

Back